Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 06:28 PM

16 posts, read 32,625 times

Advertisements

I recently received notification that I will PCS to LA AFB sometime between August and December 2013. I have started my housing search but would like to gather as much information as possible before making a decision on where to live. I lived in Burbank many years ago (about 18 years to be exact), so I am not that familiar with the area anymore.

I am married with no kids, but have 3 cars (one of which has to be in a garage or private storage facility for insurance purposes). My housing allowance is approximately $3,150, but I would prefer to spend less than that if possible as I know my insurance rates are going through the roof due to the move, and I expect to pay a lot more for food and gas. I would prefer a single family home, but am willing to settle for an apartment, townhome, or condo if it is in the right location with good amenities.

I would appreciate any information and tips that you are willing to provide. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 PM

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2013, 01:30 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,995 times
The Air Force Base is in El Segundo which is a pretty nice little town. And the schools are great for future reference. The commute would not be an issue. And there is storage in El Segundo also. I know a gentleman who stores his sweet little "Woody" somewhere in town and has had no problems.

The only problem in El Segundo is finding a home not too near LAX noise, and the refinery/hyperion stink that occurs on occasion. I know several families that live there and they haven't made an issue about it.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Do you want a single-family house? If so, Torrance and Redondo Beach might not be impossible around the max range. However, if you wanted to be under budget, but with a decent single-family house, albeit a bit further from the base, you might like areas of north Orange County, particularly the Seal Beach, Rossmoor, and Los Alamatos area where you could pretty easily find a single-family home with a one or two car garage, below budget, though you would be inland at Seal Beach, not on the water. The downside to this area would be the 405 at rush hour, but if you have flexibility as to an earlier start in the day, it might not be a bad area to consider.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,366 times
You should begin your seach in Del Aire (west of 405 Fwy) and Holly Glen (west of 405 Fwy)in Hawthorne, and the city of El Segundo. El Segundo has a huge car culture - Automobile Driving Museum.

As for the airport noise, I'll assume that, being in the Air Force, you're somewhat familiar with jet noise. Fact is, probably 2/3 of the homes and apartments with a heavy impact of LAX noise, have received residential sound insulation upgrades from LAWA grants to El Segundo.

On the west side, Hyperion hasn't been an issue in over 15 years. Maybe a handful of noticeable days. Most of the residential area is north of Chevron and I've rarely gotten a whiff from there either.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 PM

Any additional advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles