Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
No Californians ever complained about their culture being threatened by outside transplants? I don't think so, you see it on these boards all the time.

It's understandable why the people in those states would feel their culture is threatened by large numbers of Californians, because wherever large numbers of Californians go, they try to make said place like California. Again, not altogether different from rhetoric often said on this boards about immigrants and New Yorkers.
You try to accuse me of hypocrisy.

New Yorkers start many of their sentences by saying "I'm from New York" like native Californians are supposed to view them as living gods and then they dictate to us that we should try to be more like them. You can say that Californians do the same but to imply that Californians are like New Yorkers is absurd unless, of course, you're referring the people who move from California to other states as "Californians", though those very "Californians" can be originally from anywhere and not culturally Californians at all.

Illegal immigrants make CA more like the third world cesspools that they came from which is a big reason why so many native Southern Californians have fled LA county. I wish Native SoCalers the best in their intent to find a life in the first world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Aren't the native Californians Spanish and Mexican??
That's your point to argue though it's so much easier to just pose your assertion as a rhetorical question. No though required.

You could just as well argue that those very groups displaced their predecessors. However, then it would be less easy to give an Azatlan sermon which consequently supports the idea that CA should be an extension of the third world cesspool along its southern border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Besides, most people's European families didn't come straight to California off the boat. Most came to the East Coast or Midwest, THEN to California.
You don't argue how this is relevant. Again, easier not to. No though required.

Now that you mention it, though, it was those very groups whose vision, ambition, risk-taking and hard work made CA the destination and economic power house that it is now. Before they came, it was just part of Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Who cares? Is it that important? Do people die each time "Cali" is being used?
You can call it "Cali" all you like if you want to irritate people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
To name call and lable someone as "stupid" because they use a phrase or word you don't like is so "jr. High".
Even when I mentioned people who use the word dude, I didn't downgrade them, but rather made an observation.
"Cali" worked for LL Cool J and it works for me.
Lol, suddenly I have that song in my mind now.."going back to cali..." ahhh bliss.
Well if LLCJ said it then we all should.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Well if LLCJ said it then we all should.
Hahahahhaha

Old 05-01-2011, 03:01 PM

255 posts, read 881,934 times
Whoa...calling third worlds a "cess pool" isn't cool.
There are beautiful areas everywhere..

Old 05-01-2011, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,134 times
Some of my best memories are in the third world... Costa Rica, Nicaragua, China (which is kind of first and third world mashed together).

I grew up in (and loathe) central California - that's more of a cess pool than most other places I've been to.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,134 times
Default Questions of provenance shouldn't bug you.

Quote:
Yeah? "Stupid" for that? Okay. So what word would you use for many American's that think I'm French when I'm blatantly British?
Well, seeing as how most Americans would have a difficult time locating a map, much less locating France ON said map, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over where they thought you hailed from.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 PM

255 posts, read 881,934 times
Whoa...calling third worlds a "cess pool" isn't cool.
There are beautiful areas everywhere..

Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOescapee View Post
Well, seeing as how most Americans would have a difficult time locating a map, much less locating France ON said map, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over where they thought you hailed from.
That's still not an answer to my question.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Illegal immigrants make CA more like the third world cesspools that they came from which is a big reason why so many native Southern Californians have fled LA county.
This is how native Southern Californians are viewed in the places where many of them have gone to, if not worse. They are viewed, often accurately, as trying to make the places they came from exactly like what the "escaped". (E.g. the spread of smoking bans and stricter gun laws.) Not to mention that people who flee somewhere en masse out of fear (absent war, totalitarian dictatorship, etc.) are usually not respected. And, taking an objective viewpoint, why should they be respected? No one respects those who run. Those who flee, empower those whom they flee for. (And we are not talking about Libya, Afghanistan, or Iraq here. We are talking about people who fled like scared little lemmings and essentially didn't value what they had. How fast they ran proves how little they valued what they had.)

Quote:
I wish Native SoCalers the best in their intent to find a life in the first world.
A few of those places are just as screwed up. (The terms "first world" and "third world" refer to political alliances in the Cold War not economic status and thus are outdated and inaccurate.) And many of those that are not now will be. In all the places that "good" Southern Californians have moved to in large numbers out of fear, "bad" ones have followed. Not to mention that the looming problem of water - which will dwarf any problem Southern California has faced so far - is also a problem in other sunbelt places and will devastate those places just as much.

Other people have pride in their cultures and states. Obviously Native SoCalers don't.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
With all this nativity pride talk, for the record I said, "gag me with a spoon" in front of like 11 other people today. I might have well had a big cardboard sign that said "I'm from CA", which doesn't exactly bring smiles around these parts.

CA was immediately mentioned by someone else and I just kept quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Minnesota is just Mini?
I know several people who do this ^. It drives me up a wall.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:02 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Are you saying there's something bad about being French?
No, they're just easy to make fun of. Ribbit.

how about those Freedom Fries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles