Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:18 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I encountered a woman from London on C-D once, and she was a bit of a ****. Is this a UK thing?
I encountered an idiot from Fontana on C-D once. Is this a Fontana thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
Now, now, can't we all just get along?
Definitely but in order for that to happen people need to cut the assumptions and stop acting stupid. Simple.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:00 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
Now, now, can't we all just get along?

Living in NoHo, I was a bit surprised how friendly my neighbors were and are. Each house surrounding me has been very friendly and "neighborly." I've borrowed tools from at least 3 different houses around me and it was my neighbors offering them, not me asking them.

I've always loved the Lucy-Ethel relationship (I'm a sucker for I love Lucy) and never thought I'd see the day where I could have a real-life relationship like that in LA. Now, it's not the same where I go visit my neighbors everyday, but it's a nice balance of giving everyone their own space, but hanging out on the patio chatting for a while from time to time.
I have to agree with you on this one. I recently had surgery and my neighbor offered to help me which is great. I didn't need any help but the offer is a fine gesture. This lady's family is one of my best neighbors. Actually all of my neighbors are really good.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
One of the best meals I've ever had came from a next door neighbor in L.A.. Their party was in full swing at 1am and I had a sick kid at home who couldn't sleep. So I went over and asked if they could keep the noise down. They apologised profusely.

Five minutes later there's a knock at the door and this very nice looking elderly Black woman is standing there with plates of red beans and rice. Corn bread. Jambalaya. She apologised for her son and his friends. Turned out one of the friends was Wynton Marsalis and my neighbor, whom we hadn't met yet, was Wynton's best friend from New Orleans. He also played a heck of a cornet.

After that (And once DS' fever broke) whenever we'd hear them start to play we'd sit outside and thank the Universe for the free jam sessions.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
These are your neighbors, not complete strangers.

We're the opposite; we welcome opportunities to visit with our neighbors. In fact, I'd like it even more if they stayed a while for a cup of coffee or something. Would give us a chance to chat, share information about the neighborhood and neighbors and other common interests.
How do you know they aren't "complete strangers"? It isn't that I dislike my neighbors, but when I'm in my own home, I like my privacy. That's why I chose to live on several acres fully fenced and gated. I deal with people all day long. When I come home I don't want to be hassled. I don't bother other people and I don't want them bothering me.

Believe it or not, I actually entertain in my home and throw parties. Because I value my privacy and solitude doesn't mean I am anti-social or that I dislike my neighbors. To the contrary, I am a "social butterfly". Heck - for that matter, I think my neighbors like their privacy too, as they all live on several acres as well, most also being fenced in and gated.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle toes View Post
how do you know they aren't "complete strangers"? It isn't that i dislike my neighbors, but when i'm in my own home, i like my privacy. That's why i chose to live on several acres fully fenced and gated. I deal with people all day long. When i come home i don't want to be hassled. I don't bother other people and i don't want them bothering me.

Believe it or not, i actually entertain in my home and throw parties. Because i value my privacy and solitude doesn't mean i am anti-social or that i dislike my neighbors. To the contrary, i am a "social butterfly". Heck - for that matter, i think my neighbors like their privacy too, as they all live on several acres as well, most also being fenced in and gated.
Exactly!! Thank you!!

Old 04-28-2011, 11:04 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
One of the best meals I've ever had came from a next door neighbor in L.A.. Their party was in full swing at 1am and I had a sick kid at home who couldn't sleep. So I went over and asked if they could keep the noise down. They apologised profusely.

Five minutes later there's a knock at the door and this very nice looking elderly Black woman is standing there with plates of red beans and rice. Corn bread. Jambalaya. She apologised for her son and his friends. Turned out one of the friends was Wynton Marsalis and my neighbor, whom we hadn't met yet, was Wynton's best friend from New Orleans. He also played a heck of a cornet.

After that (And once DS' fever broke) whenever we'd hear them start to play we'd sit outside and thank the Universe for the free jam sessions.
Oh my.....I would have loved to have been there for the homemade jambalaya!!!!! My next door neighbor brings over grilled steak tacos sometimes...can't say no to that..OH YES!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Right now I live 5 feet from people in apartment and never talk to them unless its absolutely necessary
McGrupp the Crimedog and your local police would prefer you and your neighbors at least occasionally get together, at least for collective safety's sake. In our hood, we often commiserate when cop/fire action happens on our street, or the local ghettobird spends a particularly long time immediately overhead.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:29 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
McGrupp the Crimedog and your local police would prefer you and your neighbors at least occasionally get together, at least for collective safety's sake. In our hood, we often commiserate when cop/fire action happens on our street, or the local ghettobird spends a particularly long time immediately overhead.
You're in San Jose.

Believe me, plenty of cop/fire action happens on my street (more than most places in the US) but my neighbors are asleep when it happens.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Back in London the only people that would knock on your door would be salesmen and Jehovah's Witnesses.
I've been thinking about this. I have friends who are Londoners. Eastenders to be specific. During certain days in the 40's they were asking if they could borrow each other's basements.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles