U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 04:08 PM

247 posts, read 312,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
For a city of over 4 million with a greater metropolitan area of almost 20 million, Los Angeles and the greater SoCal megapolis should probably have a downtown approaching that of Manhattan, or at least the size of Chicago. Granted it's history is vastly different to the Windy City, and the way it's structured is also pretty unique (having so many nodes, developing after the automobile boom), do you think with the improvements in transit downtown LA will someday equal or even surpass that of Chicago? Will it be ranked as one of the great skylines/downtowns in America, or do other areas like Hollywood exert too strong a pull?

The sign when you drive in says over 4 million, IIRC. I think that is from the Dept. Of Finance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 04:09 PM

500 posts, read 618,306 times
Does DTLA appear undersized because of the way it is defined?

When I drive up Figueroa from Exposition Park to DTLA, there is no clear transition. There's been a massive amount of recent construction in Expo Park-mostly USC buildings but also other mid-rise apartments. The area looks completely different compared to a few years ago, whether viewed from the 110 or from the ground.

Same when driving west on Wilshire; it's pure urbanity from DTLA through Westlake right into K-town and the Miracle Mile, yet the western edge of DTLA supposedly ends at the Harbor Fwy.

I agree with others that the DTLA skyline will grow slowly, hopefully filling in some of the space between LA Live and the old Occidental building (now ATT?). I'm hoping against hope that the NFL stadium is not built--what a monumental waste of space when the beautiful Coliseum is only a mile or two away.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:57 PM

397 posts, read 460,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Someone else posted it was because of County Commissioner Zev Yaroslavsky. Why didn't he want a subway going through the mid Valley? I can't imagine all the residents were opposed to that plan.

They should also be building light rail underground from Woodland Hills to Universal City stop along Ventura. That is one of the most heavy volume streets in the city.
Construction of the red line was a headache. The PR of the red line was dealt a massive blow, for example, when a massive sink hole appeared on Hollywood Blvd due to the idiots constructing the line. They replaced by another group to finish up the project.

There were other issues like originally SEPARATE organizations were doing public transit. Initially, for example, the blue line wasn't even going to connect to the red line! The two organizations had to be merged just to get the two lines connected at 7th/metro (that is why the connection is so wonky).

So when the vote to ban money to the subway was put up, led by Yaroslavsky, it passed because most peoples experience with the red line was all the bad news.

Yaroslavsky also had a massive love affair for bus rapid transit at the time. That is why the Valley has that. We've all seen how well THAT worked out. Idiots. The Orange line needs to be rail. The Vally needs more rail period. Get it to Glendale and Burbank!

Also, Henry Waxman, used a methane explosion as an excuse to block the subway from going through rich areas. Your typical NIMBY types. Thats why the purple line stops so suddenly.

So Yaroslavsky and Waxman were the two main villains in regards to the extension of the purple and red lines. I always remind people because it deserves to be their legacy. Yaroslavsky has recently tried to reinvent himself as a champion of public transit but don't let him. He's why LA is years behind where it should be.

Amazingly, a decade later, everyone realizes the benefits of public transit. Proper planning has led to amazing gentrification near subway stops. Hollywood/Highland, NoHo Arts District, Hollywood/Vine are probably the three best examples. Just think, if the voters weren't brainwashed by Yaroslavsky the red line might've connected to Bob Hope. Airport to Hollywood/Downtown? Could've had it. Not LAX, obviously, but Bob Hope is not exactly a low volume airport.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:06 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,972,321 times
When is he up for reelection next?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:12 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,308,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
For a city of over 4 million with a greater metropolitan area of almost 20 million, Los Angeles and the greater SoCal megapolis should probably have a downtown approaching that of Manhattan, or at least the size of Chicago. Granted it's history is vastly different to the Windy City, and the way it's structured is also pretty unique (having so many nodes, developing after the automobile boom), do you think with the improvements in transit downtown LA will someday equal or even surpass that of Chicago? Will it be ranked as one of the great skylines/downtowns in America, or do other areas like Hollywood exert too strong a pull?
Do you mean it should have more office buildings and people living in high rises? Cause LA County has more people than both chicago and new york. I'd have to say no. Doesn't look like it from here. Native Angelenos are different. I personally wouldn't want to live in what amounts to a high rise apartment with no yard. The geography is so wide-spread that I wouldn't want to limit myself to a small part of the city.

Manhattan is what, 12 miles at its longest point? I run 6 miles a day. That would make it too tiny.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:15 PM

121 posts, read 156,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
the valley was never screwed over, the people of the valley didn't want a rail line so they got stuck with a bus line.
BRinSM: That is not historically accurate. Yes, SOME valley residents did NOT want rail (esp. the Ventura Blvd homeowner groups). However, plenty of other valley residents wanted rail. And a RAIL LINE was approved for the valley in the early 1990's and was scheduled to be built along the current ORANGE LINE (now a busway) route.

BUT the MTA ran out of money and by the time the Red Line was completed to NOHO the politicians took the cheap way out and built the Orange Line.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:19 PM

121 posts, read 156,842 times
One final note about the history of rail to the valley. Good old Tom Bradley was often accused for being out of touch with valley voters. The Bradley coalition was vast but it was never centered in the valley.

So when westside LA pols like Henry Waxman stupidly nixed the Red Line from marching down Wilshire, then Major Tom Bradley quickly instructed his MTA appointees to look at getting rail to the Valley. That would prove to valley voters he cared, etc.

Never mind that the BEST and most logical place for heavy rail in LA was (and is) under wilshire from downtown to Santa Monica.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:21 PM

24,691 posts, read 19,730,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Do you mean it should have more office buildings and people living in high rises? Cause LA County has more people than both chicago and new york. I'd have to say no. Doesn't look like it from here. Native Angelenos are different. I personally wouldn't want to live in what amounts to a high rise apartment with no yard. The geography is so wide-spread that I wouldn't want to limit myself to a small part of the city.

Manhattan is what, 12 miles at its longest point? I run 6 miles a day. That would make it too tiny.
Isn't LA county about the size of all the five boroughs combined? By downtown I mean the downtown area. NY's downtown is so vast that it occupies most of Manhattan. LA's downtown wouldn't even be as big as NY's financial district in Downtown.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:15 PM

940 posts, read 1,008,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
When is he up for reelection next?
He's currently in the running for mayor of LA. And some say he has the best chance of winning.

DON'T LET IT HAPPEN.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:20 PM

940 posts, read 1,008,469 times
Also, everyone needs to understand that to have a large downtown skyline you need a large financial industry. That's the only real industry that needs/wants to be in large skyscrapers at the center of the city.

LA doesn't have that. SF is the financial capital of CA. Even Seattle, I believe, has a larger financial industry (thus a slightly more impressive skyline).

As far as population goes, LA doesn't have a small "downtown," or core. It has a core population that's actually pretty comparable to Chicago. You have to remember that very few people live in the Loop in Chi, it's all office buildings.

So, it has a lot more to do with the local economy than the local culture that we don't have a bunch of office towers clustered in one location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles