U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2011, 08:28 PM
 
Location: The Bay and Maryland
1,362 posts, read 2,900,154 times
Reputation: 2124

Advertisements

Well, this is because America is vastly White in demographics. In fact, America is over 70% Non-Hispanic White. That being said, Whites are more likely to live in overwhelmingly White communities than Asians, Hispanics and even Blacks. Most Whites in America are more likely to live in an almost completely White universe. Not surprisingly, Whites are also the least likely of all races to marry outside of their race. When I was in college, we learned in Sociology class that Whites tend to live in housing tract neighborhoods that are roughly 80% White. Since Blacks only represent 12% of the U.S. population, most Black neighborhoods in America aren't even all that Black. The average neighborhood a Black person lives in here in the U.S. is about 50% Black. The most segregated Black neighborhoods tend to be in the South and the East Coast. For example, Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, Fort Greene, East New York, Flastbush and Brownsville in Brooklyn collectively make up the largest Black neighborhood in the United States which is about 80% Black. This rate of Black segregation is much higher than the national average, but NYC is statistically the third most segregated big city in the nation.

http://www.prrac.org/projects/fair_h...cago/logan.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford...sant,_Brooklyn

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...tle=3_New_York

Blacks tend to be much less segregated from others races in a state like California because Blacks make up a much smaller percentage of the overall population. Blacks only account for 6% of the population of California. San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, San Jose and Orange County, CA all made the top ten least segregated cities for Blacks list in the year 2000.

http://www.rachelstavern.com/uncategorized/the-least-segregated-cities-for-blacks-in-2000.html (broken link)

Since Whites are much more likely to live amongst other Whites, they say "there goes the neighborhood" when too many Blacks or other minorities move into a neighborhood. Ghettoization happens when rich and upper middle class Whites completely up and leave from a formerly "nice" mostly White area and take all the jobs, transportation and prestige with them. This has happened in nearly every major city in America. This is the reason why the inner cities and ghettos are so violent and crime ridden because there are no jobs or opportunities for minorities in these formerly middle class neighborhoods so people choose illegal means to make money.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 05-03-2011 at 08:52 PM..

 
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 PM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,845 posts, read 44,594,065 times
Reputation: 23372
We left CA in large part because the schools had gotten so bad due to the influx of non-English speaking kids, many illegal, draining resources. This was in the early 90s in the San Francisco Bay Area. Friends that stayed put their kids into expensive private schools. It was about our kids educations, not racism. In southern CA it was more of a fear of gangs,
people saw what happened there in East L.A. and Watts. Why have blacks and hispanics congregated into the same areas? People like to be with others like them. Despite all attempts at integration and diversity,
people are just more comfortable around others that look like them and speak the same language. Areas (such as Seattle) where a diverse population gets along is because the people from other countries and races have similar ideals and priorities and speak English despite their varied backgrounds.
 
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Earth
16,073 posts, read 20,938,294 times
Reputation: 6471
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Well, this is because America is vastly White in demographics. In fact, America is over 70% Non-Hispanic White. That being said, Whites are more likely to live in overwhelmingly White communities than Asians, Hispanics and even Blacks. Most Whites in America are more likely to live an almost completely White universe. Not surprisingly, Whites are also the least likely of all races to marry outside of their race. When I was in college, we learned in Sociology class that Whites tend to live in housing tract neighborhoods that are roughly 80% White. Since Blacks only represent 12% of the U.S. population, most Black neighborhoods in America aren't even all that Black. The average neighborhood a Black person lives in here in the U.S. is about 50% Black. The most segregated Black neighborhoods tend to be in the South and the East Coast. For example, Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, Fort Greene, East New york, Flastbush and Brownsville in Brooklyn collectively make up the largest Black neighborhood in the United States which is about 80% Black. This rate of Black segregation is much higher than the national average, but NYC is statistically the third most segregated big city in the nation. Blacks tend to be much less segregated from others races in a state like California because Blacks make up a much smaller percentage of the overall population.

http://www.prrac.org/projects/fair_h...cago/logan.pdf

Bedford

Since Whites are much more likely to live amongst other Whites, they say "there goes the neighborhood" when too many Blacks or other minorities move into a neighborhood. Ghettoization happens when rich and upper middle class Whites completely up and leave from a formerly "nice" mostly White area and take all the jobs, transportation and prestige with them. This has happened in nearly every major city in America. This is the reason why the inner cities and ghettos are so violent and crime ridden because there are no jobs or opportunities for minorities in these formerly middle class neighborhoods so people choose illegal means to make money.
What you say is true in looking at the US in general but there are a few local specifics which are the exceptions.

The part about whites only living with other whites doesn't apply as much in L.A. Non-Hispanic whites and Hispanics in L.A. have lived side by side for a very long time, and while the percentages of each group has changed over the years, this is likely to continue in some neighborhoods as long as there is an L.A. The part about whites only marrying other (non-Hispanic) whites in L.A. is not true at all. The number of non-Hispanic white/Hispanic couples and non-Hispanic white/Asian couples in L.A. is quite high. If you're a racist straight white male in L.A. you're not going to get laid (especially someone prejudiced against Hispanics) There are also more black/white couples and black/Asian couples in L.A. than elsewhere. Probably more WM/BF couples as a percentage than anywhere else in the US although the number is still fewer than that of BM/WF couples. Those middle class neighborhoods that still exist in L.A. tend to be very diverse places.

A question for you - although white urban ghettos don't currently exist in L.A. (and L.A. never had that many) they do exist in some Eastern and Midwestern cities - how would you explain those? Many of those areas have gone through the same deprivation/criminalization as other low income areas.
 
Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,584 posts, read 30,912,399 times
Reputation: 16731
Many areas of L.A. that were "white flighted" ~40 years ago are now being "black flighted" as the black population leaves in front of a burgeoning Latino influx. There's nothing sinister about it. Neighborhoods have been churning for generations.
 
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 PM
 
Location: The Bay and Maryland
1,362 posts, read 2,900,154 times
Reputation: 2124
Quote:
A question for you - although white urban ghettos don't currently exist in L.A. (and L.A. never had that many) they do exist in some Eastern and Midwestern cities - how would you explain those? Many of those areas have gone through the same deprivation/criminalization as other low income areas.
Touche. I don't know much about L.A. but I do live outside of Baltimore, Maryland which does have high-crime impoverished White neighborhoods that are overwhelmingly White. In fact, there is a neighborhood in Baltimore called Hampden which is about 93% White and this neighborhood is much more crime ridden than most minority-majority inner city neighborhoods in the United States.

Baltimore Hampden Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

But certain cities like Philly and Baltimore have always been working class towns. The strict racial dichotomy between Whites being rich and Blacks being poor that exists in jet-set world class American cities like DC and San Francisco does not exist in the grungy blue collar towns of Baltimore and Philly. Not all Whites in Baltimore had the means and money to relocate to the suburbs in the 50's. In cities like Baltimore, class divisions separate well-to-due Whites in the nicer parts of town and the suburbs vs. generationally poor working class Whites dwelling in the cities. Big cities from Baltimore to Detroit have been becoming de-industrialized since at least the 70's. Shutting down factories put working class city dwelling Whites out of work as well.
 
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Earth
16,073 posts, read 20,938,294 times
Reputation: 6471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Many areas of L.A. that were "white flighted" ~40 years ago are now being "black flighted" as the black population leaves in front of a burgeoning Latino influx. There's nothing sinister about it. Neighborhoods have been churning for generations.
E.g. Echo Park:

1940 - majority non-Latino white
1950 - ethnically and racially mixed, large white plurality or perhaps bare non-Latino white minority, but white flight hasn't really started yet. The demolition of Chavez Ravine will set that in motion.
1960 - ethnically and racially mixed, white flight fully underway, Latino and non-Latino white numbers probably pretty close to equal
1970 - majority Latino, white flight continuing, some non-Latino whites, some Asians. White middle class is gone. White working class declining but still present.
1980 - overwhelmingly Latino. Some Asians. Very few non-Latino whites. Gang and drug problems becoming worse. White flight has been completed.
1990 - like 1980, even more overwhelmingly Latino, but middle class/lower middle class Latinos begin leaving, Gang and drug problems are getting even worse. Tiny number of non-Latino white creative types and druggies. The number of non-Latino creative types will increase as the decade progresses.
2000 - overwhelmingly Latino. However, non-Latino white creative types have moved in. The hipsters are beginning to follow in their wake as they usually do. Latino and Asian creative types also coming in.
2010 - still majority Latino, but more non-Latino whites than there have been since the '60s. Plenty of hipsters, most but not all of whom are non-Latino whites. Middle class professionals have come in. Creative types not priced out thanks to RE crash, but when/if the economy recovers and if rents start soaring again? A rough edge remains but definitely safer than late 20th century. Most happening L.A. neighborhood. "The Sunset Strip has moved east". Troublemakers from outside (esp. 714 and 909) beginning to come in.
2020 - ????????
 
Old 05-03-2011, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Earth
16,073 posts, read 20,938,294 times
Reputation: 6471
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Touche. I don't know much about L.A. but I do live outside of Baltimore, Maryland which does have high-crime impoverished White neighborhoods that are overwhelmingly White. In fact, there is a neighborhood in Baltimore called Hampden which is about 93% White and this neighborhood is much more crime ridden than most minority-majority inner city neighborhoods in the United States.

Baltimore Hampden Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

But certain cities like Philly and Baltimore have always been working class towns. The strict racial dichotomy between Whites being rich and Blacks being poor that exists in jet-set world class American cities like DC and San Francisco does not exist in the grungy blue collar towns of Baltimore and Philly
San Francisco at one time was a very blue collar town. So was L.A.
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 AM
 
48 posts, read 106,776 times
Reputation: 54
Thank you all for your answers! I still whish whites stopped running, though. But I understand that school problem.

Also, do you think that one day hispanics will be fully asimilated americans? In the past, USA was full of germans, italians, russians and britishs and they all are one nation today, speaking the same language and having similar interests. I hope immigrants from Mexico want to become americans - because like we say: "When in Rome do as the Romans do."
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 AM
 
Location: Earth
16,073 posts, read 20,938,294 times
Reputation: 6471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.O´Hara View Post
Thank you all for your answers! I still whish whites stopped running, though. But I understand that school problem.
If the schools are connected to the community, then the school problem is minimized. This suggests LAUSD should be broken up, or the comprehensive abolished.

Quote:
Also, do you think that one day hispanics will be fully asimilated americans?
Many are right now.

Quote:
In the past, USA was full of germans, italians, russians and britishs and they all are one nation today, speaking the same language and having similar interests.
The same applied to the Mexicans who came in that era.
 
Old 05-04-2011, 02:19 AM
 
48 posts, read 106,776 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Many are right now.
The same applied to the Mexicans who came in that era.
That´s great! I sense you´re mexican american too, aren´t you?
And by the way, I have noticed that many hispancis look just like whites. Yes, many are a bit darker but I also know some hispanic actros and if I didn´t know their name I would think that they´re white. Antonio Banderas - he´s hispanic, right?

And could I have one more question? I know I´m annoying but I´m just really interested in your country, you know. So, I was wondering how can mexican immigrants afford living in LA area since the house prices are so high - even for native born american?.
And why do they usualy choose LA when San Diego is just a few miles away from Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top