Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 05:57 AM

57 posts, read 95,897 times

Advertisements

I think most people will agree though that pizza in NY and Chicago and is way better than pizza in LA. I have a friend who lives in LA now and said the pizza there is not at all like the pizza in NY/NJ. LA is a nice place to visit. Only negative for me is the traffic but ny traffic is just as bad or maybe worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I recently visited there and its not all its cracked up to be, its nothing like what they show on the t.v. Kind of depressing city actually with Horrible traffic!
Nothing like TV, but actually I had the opposite experience (well, other than traffic): I thought LA is MUCH nicer than I had expected! It's exciting, big, diverse, has enough stuff to see and do to last a lifetime. I can understand why it's not for everyone, and certainly do agree that many people arrive expecting it to be straight out of some glamorous TV show, but the reality is that it's a REAL city, with all the benefits and the negatives that come with that. I think it's a tough city to really grasp as a tourist. It's very easy to see only the negatives, or to see only a small portion of the surface and to think you've seen it all. It's also a lot grittier than many seem to expect, so if someone arrives thinking it's all swaying palm trees and mansions then they're going to be disappointed.

This is not the place to debate which city is the most diverse in the country, but I think it's rather tough to make an argument that LA is not a diverse place.

And, of course, not everyone likes LA. It's a big city; lots of people don't like big cities. It's a different kind of big city than the east coast cities; not everyone likes the LA version. Its history is different. Its vibe is different. It's a unique place, and some people love it, others hate it. Nothing wrong with that. Live and learn. Isn't that what travel is all about?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVill2008 View Post
I think most people will agree though that pizza in NY and Chicago and is way better than pizza in LA. I have a friend who lives in LA now and said the pizza there is not at all like the pizza in NY/NJ. LA is a nice place to visit. Only negative for me is the traffic but ny traffic is just as bad or maybe worse
LA eating habits and cuisine, tends to skew more toward the healthy stuff.

Farmers markets with fresh fruits and vegetables are big. Seafood is huge, as is Mexican.

Overall California, but by no means universal!!, is more about healthy eating and being slim, trim which means eating less pizza.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Nothing like TV, but actually I had the opposite experience (well, other than traffic): I thought LA is MUCH nicer than I had expected! It's exciting, big, diverse, has enough stuff to see and do to last a lifetime. I can understand why it's not for everyone, and certainly do agree that many people arrive expecting it to be straight out of some glamorous TV show, but the reality is that it's a REAL city, with all the benefits and the negatives that come with that. I think it's a tough city to really grasp as a tourist. It's very easy to see only the negatives, or to see only a small portion of the surface and to think you've seen it all. It's also a lot grittier than many seem to expect, so if someone arrives thinking it's all swaying palm trees and mansions then they're going to be disappointed.

This is not the place to debate which city is the most diverse in the country, but I think it's rather tough to make an argument that LA is not a diverse place.

And, of course, not everyone likes LA. It's a big city; lots of people don't like big cities. It's a different kind of big city than the east coast cities; not everyone likes the LA version. Its history is different. Its vibe is different. It's a unique place, and some people love it, others hate it. Nothing wrong with that. Live and learn. Isn't that what travel is all about?
This is a good post, and I especially agree with the bolded part. Los Angeles is not very "tourist-friendly", in that most things are spread out, you need a car to get everywhere (hence everyone experiences the miserable traffic), and the "tourist stuff" like Hollywood can tend to be underwhelming.

I've lived in/near L.A. most of my life, and I am still finding things to do/see. It's not a city that lays itself out for you all at once, you have to find things. And most tourists don't have the time to do that.

Part of the reason I love L.A. is that I am still discovering new aspects after all these years!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM

9 posts, read 20,846 times
Default Los Angeles the Beautiful and Not-So

I moved to Los Angeles in 1978 with a group of friends from college. I was afraid I'd be robbed walking from the Safeway to my car!

I've loved it and hated it here. Loves: many varied neighborhoods with different characters--I started in Hollywood, moved to the Westside, the beach, Glendale, Eagle Rock, South Bay and finally Sherman Oaks. Each place had history and flavor of its own. Other loves: meeting people from all over the country and the world, Little Tokyo, Olvera Street, Fairfax Farmer's Mkt., great museums, downtown architecture, funky movie theatres and historic restaurants, Griffith Park, 101 to Malibu, Santa Barbara or in the other direction, all the way to Mexico. Cool.

Hates: the traffic has gotten worse every year and I'm no longer young; crowded everything; prices; some nasty people from the East Coast and many foreign countries who don't know how to drive or be decent citizens or neighbors; developers; smog.

I recently told a younger friend: L.A. is a romantic and cool city when you're young, but it is no place to grow old. Unless you have a ton of money.

Hope my thoughts are relevant. Good luck!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
OMG TV is fiction?
Ha ha, beat me to it.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post

On a totally different note, I went to Dallas at about this time last year and it was nothing like what I saw on tv. I kept telling people that and they were pretty sympathetic. Seems to happen a lot with visitors to the city.
NYC too...probably an city, any area, anywhere. I always see the coolest stock images of NYC -- for example, the obligatory looking-down-toward-times-square one, or merrily dressed teenagers dancing in the streets and all getting along -- in movies and on TV. But, newsflash. I've been there. NOTHING like the stylized images show.

Which is okay. We don't watch TV and movies for reality. Even "reality television" is highly scripted for extreme drama that doesn't typically take place in real life.

As for whether or not L.A. is overrated, it depends upon who's doing the rating and what the rating is. No, the guys don't all drive awesome convertibles and every girl doesn't rollerblade around town in a bikini. But there is tons to do and amazing, I'm talking *amazing* variety here. It still blows my mind.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
That passive voice--"[___] is overrated"--is always weasel-y. What's being rated by whom? Diversity overrated? L.A.'s diversity is proven and measurable, so it's a non-argument. Besides, "Hispanics" and "Asians" aren't exactly monolithic, unless you can't tell the difference between a Tongan and a Korean. In that case, one's perception of diversity is suspect in the first place.

But what else? An image of a place versus the reality? Who's responsible for the image? A kid who hasn't the wherewithal to explore? Los Angeles is not your mama and nothing is handed to you like a toddler. You have to go out and find it. T.V. can't be responsible for rating a place for you either. No thinking person would be so careless.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
Which aspects of the city in particular do you feel didn't meet your expectations? The expectation on traffic is that it will suck, so that must have met expectations.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:58 PM

57 posts, read 95,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
LA eating habits and cuisine, tends to skew more toward the healthy stuff.

Farmers markets with fresh fruits and vegetables are big. Seafood is huge, as is Mexican.

Overall California, but by no means universal!!, is more about healthy eating and being slim, trim which means eating less pizza.

That's true.. I am kinda surprised you didn't mention anything asian (I'm filipino) considering there are a lot of asians living over there. I hear sushi is popular over there but whenever I visit relatives out there they never took us to any sushi places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles