Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 03:05 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,428,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
I feel way safer in SF. And I lived near Polk and Post, in Tenderloin. Yep, lived in Tenderloin for 2 months.

I take SF over LA any day in terms of safety (not in terms of other things). You sound like you live in Wealthy areas of LA, which are a small part of LA metro. And SF wealthy areas are the major part of SF Bay area.

As to Oakland... I blend in in Oakland, people love how I dress there and I always got gangster kids complement my style--I actually street danced in Oakland (yep I can turf). Oakland is the only cool area of whole Bay Area.

Like I said, to each it's own.
I don't live in L.A. now, actually, but friends and family are sprinkled about all over (K-Town, Hollywood, Mid-Wilshire). Not wealthy at all. When I did live in L.A. proper it was downtown. I do have family in Santa Monica though, and I don't really like it there too much.

As I mentioned, no, I didn't live in the wealthy part of SF either! but it's all pricey, so... Honestly, I could tell a lot of stories of rudeness and violence, but it doesn't really affect my feeling about the city in general. I liked Oakland, but I LIVED in West Oakland. There was hostility, street violence, and at one time (I was fortunately out of the complex) a gun-point break-in. But--I still dig Oakland!

BTW, the "we" I was speaking of is other posters here who don't seem to be blaming you at all for your feelings. Not that I detect from their posts. Just don't totalize your experience as mine or anyone else's, because it's not. As I and other have said, if you feel your health is at risk then you really should move.

Last edited by Bunjee; 05-13-2011 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,472,759 times
What's funny is that I have lived in many places throughout the social and economic spectrum of L.A. - never on the top or on the absolute bottom, but pretty much the rest of the spectrum (for all but 5 years of my life). I'm living in an area now that genuinely does have crime issues but do not feel threatened or unsafe. (My previous residence in L.A. , otoh, was in one of the safest areas of the entire L.A. metro area, but even there one needs to be aware of their surroundings.) However, ALL the issues I've ever had with violent crime in L.A. as an adult have been confined to the pre-gentrification Downtown L.A. and areas adjacent to Downtown L.A. (Haven't had problems downtown since gentrification). And I've spent plenty of time in some pretty bad areas, and have worked in some pretty bad areas. Nobody's safety's 100 percent guaranteed but anyone who's not only lived in a big city but is able to pick up on certain things in the environment can reduce their risk of being a victim.

San Francisco is no safer than Los Angeles, it just FEELS safer because it's a much friendlier city and less hostile to human interaction, whereas L.A. tends to be a very hostile and nasty place. Once you've lived in SF awhile (as I did) you realize it's more dangerous than people think. I never had problems there but I was very well aware of certain signs/cues in the general environment - street smarts so as to speak - and was able to avoid trouble. L.A. is actually safer today than it has been in some time - the exact time varies depending upon who you ask and what sources you refer to, but I'd say it's safer than it's been in over 30 years.

In truth L.A. is not right for many people, and admittedly it is a very difficult city to love if one was not born and/or raised here or lived here for some time. If it's not right for you and there's nothing holding you down like your job, than leave.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:52 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,929,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
What do you mean "cracked up to be"?

Admit it, your delusion of fictional TV shows being an accurate depiction of reality was the cause of your disappointment.

On a totally different note, I went to Dallas at about this time last year and it was nothing like what I saw on tv. I kept telling people that and they were pretty sympathetic. Seems to happen a lot with visitors to the city.
You took the words right out my mouth.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,713,491 times
Default Not Gay bashing just stereotyping the city itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
You took the words right out my mouth.
I went to SF and everybody wasn't gay and fabulous. What gives?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
I went to SF and everybody wasn't gay and fabulous. What gives?
Haha

I went to SF and it was drenched in homeless people of all ages and races. Found it very depressing, especially the homeless kids, I thought they were just being "trendy" at first, some sort of fashion statement but no, that was not the case.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:40 PM

Default Just call it "Frisco" and you will ruffle the pompous asses?

Quote:
Haha

I went to SF and it was drenched in homeless people of all ages and races. Found it very depressing, especially the homeless kids, I thought they were just being "trendy" at first, some sort of fashion statement but no, that was not the case.
When I went to school in San Diego, I got a rash of sh*t about being from LA. This was from the locals and from the snotties from "The City". I did manage to soften a few opinions by taking some friends up to show them how we did things. We went skiing at Mt. Baldy early then shot down and over to Malibu for some surfing. The next day we went fishing in Angeles Crest. I got a lot less crap after that. I guess a lot of them saw LA as the place on TV (either Hollywood or West LA) or as the City of Commerce when travelling on the 5 Freeway.

Seriously, I like SF too. I have had a blast there. Ditto Manhattan, NYC. Chicago. Miami. etc. Of course I was on vacation in those places and there is something seriously wrong if you ccan't have agood time on vacation...right?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:45 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,897,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
What's funny is that I have lived in many places throughout the social and economic spectrum of L.A. - never on the top or on the absolute bottom, but pretty much the rest of the spectrum (for all but 5 years of my life). I'm living in an area now that genuinely does have crime issues but do not feel threatened or unsafe. (My previous residence in L.A. , otoh, was in one of the safest areas of the entire L.A. metro area, but even there one needs to be aware of their surroundings.) However, ALL the issues I've ever had with violent crime in L.A. as an adult have been confined to the pre-gentrification Downtown L.A. and areas adjacent to Downtown L.A. (Haven't had problems downtown since gentrification). And I've spent plenty of time in some pretty bad areas, and have worked in some pretty bad areas. Nobody's safety's 100 percent guaranteed but anyone who's not only lived in a big city but is able to pick up on certain things in the environment can reduce their risk of being a victim.

San Francisco is no safer than Los Angeles, it just FEELS safer because it's a much friendlier city and less hostile to human interaction, whereas L.A. tends to be a very hostile and nasty place. Once you've lived in SF awhile (as I did) you realize it's more dangerous than people think. I never had problems there but I was very well aware of certain signs/cues in the general environment - street smarts so as to speak - and was able to avoid trouble. L.A. is actually safer today than it has been in some time - the exact time varies depending upon who you ask and what sources you refer to, but I'd say it's safer than it's been in over 30 years.

In truth L.A. is not right for many people, and admittedly it is a very difficult city to love if one was not born and/or raised here or lived here for some time. If it's not right for you and there's nothing holding you down like your job, than leave.
I wasn't born or raised here and I haven't lived here for a while, yet I still love it!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
When I went to school in San Diego, I got a rash of sh*t about being from LA. This was from the locals and from the snotties from "The City". I did manage to soften a few opinions by taking some friends up to show them how we did things. We went skiing at Mt. Baldy early then shot down and over to Malibu for some surfing. The next day we went fishing in Angeles Crest. I got a lot less crap after that. I guess a lot of them saw LA as the place on TV (either Hollywood or West LA) or as the City of Commerce when travelling on the 5 Freeway.

Seriously, I like SF too. I have had a blast there. Ditto Manhattan, NYC. Chicago. Miami. etc. Of course I was on vacation in those places and there is something seriously wrong if you ccan't have agood time on vacation...right?

I like SF too. I think it's cool. Everyone told me that SF is diverse but I think it lacks diversity big time. I'm spoilt though, I come from London, which seems to be the only real meaning of "diversity".

I use to live in SD. I use to get a lot of sh*t for my English accent though many guys think it's "hot". If I had to confront someone then automatically I'm labelled a "snob". If I had one of those surfer dude accents then they wouldn't say that or it's "well this is America and we don't do that here" and my response is "actually you do almost everything here, lets sit down and watch one of those Michael Moore documentaries together ".

I still need to see Miami. Chicago sounds great, so much good 80's/90's house music comes from there.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I like SF too. I think it's cool. Everyone told me that SF is diverse but I think it lacks diversity big time. I'm spoilt though, I come from London, which seems to be the only real meaning of "diversity".

I use to live in SD. I use to get a lot of sh*t for my English accent though many guys think it's "hot". If I had to confront someone then automatically I'm labelled a "snob". If I had one of those surfer dude accents then they wouldn't say that or it's "well this is America and we don't do that here" and my response is "actually you do almost everything here, lets sit down and watch one of those Michael Moore documentaries together ".

I still need to see Miami. Chicago sounds great, so much good 80's/90's house music comes from there.
Yes. Go see them. But the house music? Can you handle it sober? Me? I think I'd need some E to get through 20 minute "songs". Of course, if I was with some random, hot English bird, I might sing a different tune.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 PM

8,231 posts, read 13,312,163 times
I moved the LA right after watching Kurt Russell's Escape From LA and found LA to be much nicer than how it was portrayed in that movie. Then again, I came to US after watching the original "Grease" and found the real thing much more disappointing.

I was thinking about relocating to England but after seeing BBC's "Being Human", I realized it was full of werewolves and vampires over there so scratched that idea too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles