U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2011, 03:15 PM

25 posts, read 59,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
I've never seen a place where so many different groups of people live side by side and interact so peacefully than here in the Valley. Jewish, Persian, Russian, Armenian, Mexican, Chinese...
I agree with this. I grew up in Calabasas, which has a lot of diversity despite what people may think, and everyone got along very well.

This thread seemed to go off topic so back to the OP, I would take the job in Chatsworth and find somewhere to live in the western side of the valley. Newer homes, cleaner air, good schools, lower crime, imo. You'll do fine with a 100k salary. Good luck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM

18 posts, read 22,641 times
I didn't realize there were anymore posts on my thread. I did go to Atlanta, took the kids and made a vacation out of it. We loved Centennial Park and all it had to offer. Just from an outsider's glance, it is such a nice city, more pleasnt than I had even expected, and absolutely beautiful with so many trees. There are some very rough looking areas......yes, I drove down south through all of it (very hurriedly). But, it seemed to be pretty isolated to those areas. Unlike, here in Memphis, there seemed to be more good parts than bad parts in Atlanta. In any case, I fear my reason for wanting to leave Memphis, the horrible heat and humidity would make me also very unhappy in Atlanta despite how much I actually liked the city. It's sort of like, what good is it if you can't actually go outside and enjoy it. I really dont want to live my entire life stuck in my workplace and in my house.

Also, I live in a suburb of Memphis, which next to Detroit has THE highest crime rate in the country. But, I don't hang out in bad areas or around bad people. It's pretty much just myself and my kids and we for the most part just stay to ourselves. We're not anti-social at all, but we just kind of do our own thing.

ETA: I stay out of areas where crime is most likely to happen, and don't associate with people that are involved with crime, so while I realize gangs and drugs are here, that's not something that I witness or is apart of my life at all. I moved to Memphis from DC-area, and again, same thing there. I would expect to live a somewhat similar life in LA.

In any case, neither of previously mentioned jobs panned out. However, I am now in a round 3 interview process with a company located off of Center Drive in LA, 90045. So, crossing my fingers. I would love to come out to visit, but it's so far, and such a expensive flight, I need to reserve that money for the eventual move, if I get the job. I think Studio City/Toluca Lake would still be a reasonable commute, perhaps, from that location. I'm a little concerned about the air qualiy/toxin levels mentioned, and will have to look into that more. I'm also looking at some other cities along the coast as alternatives.

One thing I know for certain is it's 100 degrees and MUGGY, MUGGY, MUGGY here, I have dual zone AC units, and my inside thermostat has been struggling to get below 85 upstairs with these high temps, with both units cranking full blast, and the nanny just called to tell me that the downstairs unit just stopped working and the thermostat is now at 89 degrees downstairs. And I'm praying the AC Tech will be able to come and fix it today. Now, THIS is for the birds!

Last edited by SingleMom2Three; 06-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: ETA additional info

Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,932,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMom2Three View Post
I'm in a round 3 interview process with a company located off of Center Drive in LA, 90045. Crossing my fingers. I would love to come out to visit, but it's so far, and such a expensive flight, I need to reserve that money for the eventual move, if I get the job.
Arent they paying for you to fly in to interview? Are they also offering 2-3 house/apartment hunting trips as well? This is pretty standard process for almost all employers who interview and are considering hiring someone who require relocation. If I were you, I'd do a bit more homework on this company before accepting an offer to join them.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:53 PM

18 posts, read 22,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Arent they paying for you to fly in to interview? Are they also offering 2-3 house/apartment hunting trips as well? This is pretty standard process for almost all employers who interview and are considering hiring someone who require relocation. If I were you, I'd do a bit more homework on this company before accepting an offer to join them.
NONE of the companies I have talked to or any job ads that I have seen recently offer relocation assistance. In fact, most will not even consider non-local applicants because of it. Luckily, this company does not require an in-person interview, will accept non-local candidates, and will hire after this 4-round online/phone process. The job market in this economy is not like it used to be.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 AM

9 posts, read 21,499 times
Deleted.

Last edited by flagspeed; 06-10-2011 at 06:20 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 08:19 AM

412 posts, read 1,033,154 times
SingleMom, the area where your prospective job is located is probably at least an hour in rush-hour traffic from Studio City/Toluca Lake. It is closer to LAX. I might suggest Culver City as an option for a place to live. Good luck on your search.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 786 times
Hello,

I just moved from Atlanta to LA, less than a month and so far so good. We rented an appartment in Beverly Hills and we love it. My kids 7 & 9 will walk to school as does my husband to his work (cedar sinai). I walk to the mall (Beverly center), to the farmers market (sundays) and to the library. We really love this place...

I'm familiar with Bethesda Md, and BH has the same feeling to it.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:48 AM

11,882 posts, read 12,815,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela-bh View Post
Hello,

I just moved from Atlanta to LA, less than a month and so far so good. We rented an appartment in Beverly Hills and we love it. My kids 7 & 9 will walk to school as does my husband to his work (cedar sinai). I walk to the mall (Beverly center), to the farmers market (sundays) and to the library. We really love this place...

I'm familiar with Bethesda Md, and BH has the same feeling to it.
Bethesda's more comparable to Santa Monica than Beverly Hills imo but there are certainly some similarities between both of those cities and similarities between Bethesda and BH.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 AM

48 posts, read 66,690 times
I have read tons and tons threads about ATL, did my own researches. Plus I have lots of good information from my e-friend who lives there.
I must say that some of you said some things that are no true.

1) Atlantaīs crime has been decreasing for long time and this trend continues. Like in any other big city, most crime is concentrated in certain places. In case of ATL it would be West Atlanta, which is probably the worst. According to the statistics, Salt Lake city is much worse in crime than ATL...and gangs? Yes, but noway like it is in Compton or Oakland.

2) ATL does not have that much 3rd world areas as LA. It is known as "City in trees" and youīd be surprised how many nice areas there are.

I need to tell the OP that she should avoid buying a property south from Downtown (how similar to LA). Southern suburbs in Fulton County and Clayton county are said to be more crime ridden plus the public schools lost itīs accreditation. Everybody who has an option goes up north, to places like Duluth, Alpharetta or Marietta. The same is happening with my friend. What once was a nice middle class neighbourhood is now on downward spiral. Itīs unbelieveable but a neighbourhood can change in 5 years.
Anyway, very nice is Decatur, east of Downtown. It is very close to the Carter center and the town is like paradise for pedestrians. It won some price as one of the most walkable cities in America.

Someone also said that ATL has something like "southern racism". Well, it depends. People donīt shout "N***r what are you doing here" but they tend to live segregated. Whites mind their own bussiness and blacks do the same, although Atlantaīs motto is "Too busy to hate". Sadly itīs not that integreated as LA or Norfolk.

But to summarize it up, the only racism my friend sense comes from indian immigrants. "Are you here to rob me?" Thats what they told him in a shop.

Racial tensions reall seem to be slowly dying because the city of ATL has experienced a massive growth in itīs white population. From 33% in 2000 to 40% in 2010 (estimates claim 45%). According to wiki it is compareable only to DC and itīs against the national trend when whites move out to suburbs.

And last thing, I donīt know why but I heard many middleclass blacks are leaving CA back to the South. There must be a reason for it...

Old 06-12-2011, 12:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,932,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleMom2Three View Post
NONE of the companies I have talked to or any job ads that I have seen recently offer relocation assistance. In fact, most will not even consider non-local applicants because of it. Luckily, this company does not require an in-person interview, will accept non-local candidates, and will hire after this 4-round online/phone process.
Baloney. What company is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles