Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:07 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times

Advertisements

After patrolling the streets of L.A. for 30+ years, nothing suprises me. I've seen even more bizarre incidents than this one, tragic as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 02:40 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
As much as I'm enjoying my new life in Los Angeles I can't help but notice crime seems to be ramped throughout southern California. Shootings, police chases, helicopters constantly flying over and spotlighting, schools under lock down, killings, hit and run killings, execution style killings, and it just goes on. On Monday April 18th I got my taxes done and was feeling pretty good knowing I was getting a refund. Until I stepped out the door at the tax office and saw on the side of the tax office bldg six officers with 3 people againts the wall. I know crime around here is at its lowest in 40+ years but it feels like the wild wild west imo. Do any other newcomers feel the same as me?

Old 05-14-2011, 02:56 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankVerse View Post
More likely people were just sleeping since the murder happened around 1am.
The man dying at his desk didn't happen at 1am.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:02 AM

121 posts, read 282,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
The man dying at his desk didn't happen at 1am.
Yes I know I was referring to the MTV case.

We live in a county with roughly 10 million people. Living in such a populated area does breed a certain amount anonymity.

But I don't see it as much different from any large city.....be it Los Angeles, Lima, London, etc.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:35 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Also, that murder happened in an area of single family homes and nothing but single family homes. Thus it was even less likely anyone would be on the street. That neighborhood (Picfair Village) imo is not unsafe normally, but the victim drove an expensive car and probably wasn't aware of his surroundings. And if there had been more people on the street it may have prevented the crime (although right near where I'm at crowds didn't prevent the murder of another 30 year old man on Sunset and Logan on a very busy weekend night).
He lived in the area and was aware of it, in fact he was killed infront of where he lived.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankVerse View Post
More likely people were just sleeping since the murder happened around 1am.
And for a good reason too! It seems in certain areas, the only people out and about at those hours are murderers and their prospective victims.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:23 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
He lived in the area and was aware of it, in fact he was killed infront of where he lived.
That's not what Majoun meant.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
As much as I'm enjoying my new life in Los Angeles I can't help but notice crime seems to be ramped throughout southern California. Shootings, police chases, helicopters constantly flying over and spotlighting, schools under lock down, killings, hit and run killings, execution style killings, and it just goes on. On Monday April 18th I got my taxes done and was feeling pretty good knowing I was getting a refund. Until I stepped out the door at the tax office and saw on the side of the tax office bldg six officers with 3 people againts the wall. I know crime around here is at its lowest in 40+ years but it feels like the wild wild west imo. Do any other newcomers feel the same as me?
I follow the LA Times on Twitter and I have to agree, it does seem very high. Maybe they are just reporting more.

Still, it reminded me of someone I knew who was also murdered about the same time at night in his apartment complex parking lot in North Hollywood about 23 yrs ago. He saw someone breaking into a car and challenged him, but he was fatally stabbed. Ironically he was also in entertainment.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goom View Post
I find this really hard to believe...
Actually it's not that hard come to think of it. There are several parts of LA where people don't walk, especially at nights and even if cars drove down the road, his body could have been obscured by parked vehicles or hedges. Besides at that time of night all you want to do is get home and you're not very attentive.

Oh and good vibes go out to his family and friends. It's a horrible thing to happen.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
As I write this it is 12:55 am. I am working at the hospital right now. The place is quiet. If I was at home chances are I would be sleeping. If someone had been killed on my street I wouldn't have noticed till the next morning and then only if I happen to stumble onto them or see them. How is that hard to comprehend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles