U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 AM

5,650 posts, read 7,001,368 times

Advertisements

The Pacific Palisades Charter School's probably the only school in Los Angeles city that's not part of LAUSD (isn't it?) and the only family friendly campus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There were plenty of families (other than Orthodox Jewish families) living there when the schools were better. In my age bracket there are many people who grew up in Fairfax and WeHo and who weren't Orthodox Jews.

Welcome to L.A.
You're too young to remember when WeHo and Fairfax had plenty of families (other than Orthodox Jews and Russian immigrants). I'm old enough to remember that. When I took real estate courses my instructor even stated that if not for Fairfax High, WeHo, Fairfax, Hancock Park and Miracle Mile would be perfect for families as they were 25-30 years ago (he'd grown up in WeHo). The lack of families there is partially a consequence of the schools situation.

But one can get those same aspects elsewhere for at least no more money and certainly less money. Why move to the Palisades given that it's no cheaper than Santa Monica? If it was cheaper than Santa Monica I could see the attraction. But it's not. The Palisades has some beauty, so I can see that attraction, but Brentwood is just plain overrated. Just a more expensive version of West LA.

They are still LAUSD and thus inherently not family-friendly. What time everything closes up by is relatively irrelevant. Culver City and Burbank close up relatively early, but they are family friendly in part because they are not LAUSD. In addition, a place where everything's closed by 10 pm wouldn't be enjoyable for parents - too much danger of a DUI, for one thing.

I was referring to Silver Lake Hills, not Sunset Junction (which I wouldn't consider family-friendly). The area by the reservoir is as "quiet, beautiful, and designed to be a family community" as much as the Palisades. And when Marshall was a better school there were more families there. Again, a consequence of poor schools, not a cause. Which is why Silver Lake people when their kids get to be a certain age often move to Burbank, for the great schools there. Burbank closes down early, is dull, and the cops are dicks, but it has great schools that aren't LAUSD.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,304 times
Big point - I don't get your beef with LAUSD. Yes, Hamilton and Uni are not good schools considering they serve relatively affluent areas. But plenty of kids go there and do just fine. Is Culver High really so much better? I don't know. I think it's a matter of opinion. (Granted, I wouldn't rush to send your kids to Fairfax or Hollywood High, but I had friends who went to Hammy and Uni and lived)

I also wouldn't consider LAUSD schools as a matter of family friendly or not. I never said Culver City wasn't family friendly anyway. We're talking about City of LA

What used to be isn't the case so much. WeHo and Fairfax and Miracle Mile don't have many families. The areas are not ideal to have kids. I live in that area and while I love it, I wouldn't raise a family there.

Let me explain why Palisades and Brentwood are desirable places to raise kids (and by Brentwood I mean the part generally north of San Vicente, up to Sunset, includes areas like Mandeville and Kenter Canyons and Crestwood Hills):

-Tons of houses
-Tons of families, usually involved parents. Lots of kids on the same block who play and grow up together
-Very very safe. More than Mar Vista or Culver City. And surrounded by safe places (so we're not living in Hancock Park with Koreatown knocking on our back door)
-In the case of the Palisades, remote and close to the beach, bad influences don't seep in
-Quiet and lots of greenery - kids can chill and walk to the local yogurt place or restaurant without the traffic of say, Wilshire or Sunset or Santa Monica Blvds
-Relatively nonoffensive local businesses (as opposed to growing up by, say, Sunset and Fairfax as some of my friends did and they would wander into derelict central outside their house)
-Cleaner air
-Lots of accessible parks
-Better schools - yes even LAUSD. minus Uni for brentwood. Paul Revere isn't so bad, and the elementary schools in Brentwood are just fine.

Palisades vs. Santa Monica - Okay. But 90402 Santa Monica is similar to palisades, the southern part of Santa Monica starts to lose the above qualities.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 AM

17,445 posts, read 24,473,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The Pacific Palisades Charter School's probably the only school in Los Angeles city that's not part of LAUSD (isn't it?) and the only family friendly campus.
It's hardly the only charter school in Los Angeles. There are many others.
It is one of 3 comprehensives which was turned into a charter - the others being El Camino and Westchester (just turned into a charter). The other charters were never comprehensives.

Charters are funded by LAUSD but run independently, and thus not subject to LAUSD BS. For example, they are not based on neighborhood attendance. Kids in the Palisades merely have preferences to go to Pali, but must apply. Kids who live in the areas of certain other LAUSD schools - specifically the areas for Hamilton, Fairfax, and Hollywood, and a couple others - also have preference upon applying. I have a friend who lives in Guitar Row whose daughter goes to Pali - just a straight MTA busride down Sunset. He's glad she can go there, as if she had to go to Fairfax that would mean his family would have to move out of a neighborhood he loves just so his daughter could go to a decent school rather than a crap school like Fairfax.

However as I said earlier in the thread its charter status is expiring and supposedly it will not be renewed, and it will return to being a comprehensive according to my neighbor who works for LAUSD - the same source said that Uni will probably gain charter status if Pali loses it. This would be quite interesting....

Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 AM

1,964 posts, read 4,700,561 times
Don't most parents in the Palisades/Brentwood area send their kids to private school anyway? Honestly if you can afford payments on a $2M+ house why settle for public schools where they cram 35 or 40 kids in a class? Plus with all the budget cutbacks in education there's bound to be an effect on smaller courses geared towards high achievers (like AP or IB).

Anyway, the Highlands are probably the most family-friendly area because the prices are within reason for young professionals. The ABC streets & College streets used to be teaming with kids but not any longer; according to a colleague who grew up there many of the older homes have been torn down or significantly remodeled to reach a higher price bracket.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 AM

I always thought the Westside north of the 10-Freeway (excluding West LA aka Sawtelle, whatever you call it) was heavily family oriented and has one of the highest concentrations of parental families. Then again, those areas are reserved for the wealthy and can afford better schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Big point - I don't get your beef with LAUSD. Yes, Hamilton and Uni are not good schools considering they serve relatively affluent areas. But plenty of kids go there and do just fine. Is Culver High really so much better? I don't know. I think it's a matter of opinion. (Granted, I wouldn't rush to send your kids to Fairfax or Hollywood High, but I had friends who went to Hammy and Uni and lived)

I also wouldn't consider LAUSD schools as a matter of family friendly or not. I never said Culver City wasn't family friendly anyway. We're talking about City of LA

What used to be isn't the case so much. WeHo and Fairfax and Miracle Mile don't have many families. The areas are not ideal to have kids. I live in that area and while I love it, I wouldn't raise a family there.

Let me explain why Palisades and Brentwood are desirable places to raise kids (and by Brentwood I mean the part generally north of San Vicente, up to Sunset, includes areas like Mandeville and Kenter Canyons and Crestwood Hills):

-Tons of houses
-Tons of families, usually involved parents. Lots of kids on the same block who play and grow up together
-Very very safe. More than Mar Vista or Culver City. And surrounded by safe places (so we're not living in Hancock Park with Koreatown knocking on our back door)
-In the case of the Palisades, remote and close to the beach, bad influences don't seep in
-Quiet and lots of greenery - kids can chill and walk to the local yogurt place or restaurant without the traffic of say, Wilshire or Sunset or Santa Monica Blvds
-Relatively nonoffensive local businesses (as opposed to growing up by, say, Sunset and Fairfax as some of my friends did and they would wander into derelict central outside their house)
-Cleaner air
-Lots of accessible parks
-Better schools - yes even LAUSD. minus Uni for brentwood. Paul Revere isn't so bad, and the elementary schools in Brentwood are just fine.

Palisades vs. Santa Monica - Okay. But 90402 Santa Monica is similar to palisades, the southern part of Santa Monica starts to lose the above qualities.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 AM

17 posts, read 41,841 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is all very helpful.

Another question about neighborhoods: it looks like many of the neighborhoods in the Highlands have rec enters--like the Summit Club, Highlands rec center, etc. Are there rec centers like that in the non-Highlands neighborhoods of the Palisades? like near the Village or the Huntington?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:48 PM

17,445 posts, read 24,473,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
As I said, that's a consequence of the schools being bad. Just as the decline in the number of kids in West LA is a consequence of Uni being bad nowadays - but since Uni got bad later than when Fairfax or Marshall got bad, and much later than when Hollywood and Hami got bad, there's been less time for the effect to "sink in". Let's say Uni hadn't been in LAUSD. It would probably been on a par with Culver at the very least. Uni when I went there was on the same level with Culver, Samo, and Beverly.

I often get together (especially since I've been back) with friends of mine who grew up with me on the old westside and who I knew from Uni and Webster. My views on LAUSD as having destroyed public education in L.A. are universal. The general consensus amongst those who have kids is that Culver's just fine whereas they would not even consider sending their kids to the same schools they went to! Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are way too expensive for them to consider. Perhaps they'd consider the Palisades if the prices of housing crashed down to become cheaper than SM (And I don't mean cheaper than 90402 - I mean cheaper than 90404.). But the Palisades as it stands right now isn't cheaper than SM. It's overvalued.

(Note that the RE instructor I had agreed with everything I've said about LAUSD.)

Quote:

-Tons of houses
Insignificant. Has absolutely nothing to do with whether an area is desirable to raise kids. I grew up in both apartments and a house.

Quote:
Tons of families, usually involved parents. Lots of kids on the same block who play and grow up together
No longer true, I'm not the only poster who's said this. My one friend in the Palisades has also said that the Palisades has had family flight as have other posters. That way of life on the westside, which I can remember from my own youth, is now virtually gone outside of SM. Even in non LAUSD areas like Culver City or Beverly Hills where family flight should not be happening, it is happening.

Quote:
Very very safe. More than Mar Vista or Culver City. And surrounded by safe places (so we're not living in Hancock Park with Koreatown knocking on our back door)
Culver City's safer than the Palisades or Brentwood, although Mar Vista isn't (but MV is still a low crime area).

The safe places nearby part you're right about. I've compared Mount Washington to the Palisades - IF the Palisades, instead of being next to Brentwood and Santa Monica, was next to Lincoln Heights, Highland Park, and Glassell Park. Mount Washington is certainly a nice neighborhood,but, while it is a low crime area, its crime level isn't AS low as the Palisades. Otherwise there are similarities.

Quote:
They "seep in" via LAUSD.

Quote:
Quiet and lots of greenery - kids can chill and walk to the local yogurt place or restaurant without the traffic of say, Wilshire or Sunset or Santa Monica Blvds
unimportant

Quote:
Relatively nonoffensive local businesses (as opposed to growing up by, say, Sunset and Fairfax as some of my friends did and they would wander into derelict central outside their house)
Sunset and Fairfax isn't THAT bad. OTOH I don't think Sunset and La Brea is appropriate for kids (ironically, that's by where my own mother grew up)

The Palisades and Brentwood have homeless, too, btw.

Quote:
Cleaner air
So, that would make Venice family-friendly also?

Quote:

While I wouldn't want to raise kids right by Virginia Avenue Park, I'd raise kids on even the SM side of the SM/Venice border before I would raise them in the Palisades. LAUSD is a thoroughly failed institution, it is responsible for degrading children and neighborhoods, is corrupt as all hell, and should be dismantled. It's the Lehman Brothers of school districts. The only positive aspect to LAUSD is that it is contributing to the number of children in L.A. continuing to fall.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 PM

Yeah, I would say most parents in the Palisades or Brentwood send their kids to private schools, especially after elementary school. I knew dozens of kids who grew up in the area served by Uni High, and virtually none of them went there (either private school or somehow were able to get into Pali or Samo). Uni is very heavily hispanic and black, which is not the demographics of the neighborhood

For the OP: Not so much, especially along the Vilage. The Highlands are very much in their own world, with gates and rec centers and planned little communities. There are gates and privacy in other parts of the palisades like along bienvenida, but I don't remember any rec centers.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM

I dunno, it's a matter of opinion. LAUSD is bad, I agree, but you're making it out to be worse than it is. People do thrive at LAUSD. Even Jefferson High.

You may have grown up in an apartment and liked it, but it's definitely better for kids to grow up in a house. Palisades and Brentwood is filled with the American dream, decent sized houses with lawn, yard, dog, pool. I live in a tiny apartment now as an adult but when I was a kid I appreciated the house.

You sure about that? I know plenty of young families in the Palisades still. Not sure if it's as many as in the 90s, but it's more than most areas of LA.

I understand Culver City is a safe city, but I don't know why you're saying its safer than the Palisades (where nothing ever happens, except a transient homeless guy getting stabbed in 08) or Brentwood. Culver City loops around and is adjacent to some less than desirable parts of city of LA. Palisades is isolated at the beach. Brentwood is surrounded by SM and Westwood and a quiet part of City of LA. I personally have felt weird walking around Culver City at night, while I'd walk around Brentwood or Palisades without hesitancy at any hour. The only fears in those areas are drunk drivers .

You mean bused in students?

I think it makes a difference. I'd rather be able to walk down (if I was a kid) to Palisades Village (or montana ave, or even san vicente) with my two friends down the street without adult supervision and get yogurt or coffee without fear of crazy people or excessive congstion. It's a nice community there. If I was growing up in Miracle Mile or Los Feliz, I'd have to walk down to some congested shopping area and deal wtih a million people and crazies to get some coffee. It's more like the 50s over there. Safe, walkable, quiet.

Yes I should have said Sunset and La Brea. My friends grew up by Poinsettia so thats closer to La Brea.

Where are the homeless in Palisades? The beach? In brentwood, yes, a handful by the VA, but not nearly as bad as Santa Monica (or Hollywood)

If by SM Venice border you mean Ocean Park, I agree that's a nice place to raise kids too.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM

The glory days of LA being a family-friendly city has long been gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles