Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times

Advertisements

does anyone live in a building in los angeles where the landlord charges tenants for these services? i have been doing some research and have been unable to determine whether they must be provided at the LL's own expense, or if the costs may be passed along to tenants separate from the rents charged. if anyone-- landlord or tenant-- is able to clarify this issue for me, i would appreciate it very much. if you know of any recent legislation or case law pertaining to this, please cite. (i've heard rumors, but my research has yielded no results.)

thank you.

(LARSO not applicable.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 05:31 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
My tenants pay for all three... but they pay for it in through their rent. I don't pay for it out of my own pocket. So, if the water/sewage/waste disposal goes up, so does their rent (though I haven't had to do this). Maybe the justification for what you are saying is this... if the water/sewage/waste disposal bill goes up the charges can be applied right away since it's not a part of the rent. I know this doesn't answer your question but it might help a bit...

Old 08-04-2007, 06:22 PM

the charges are in addition to recent rent increases, and billed separately by a contracted entity.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:37 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
In Long Beach, the City of Long Beach charges you for gas, trash and sewer. But if the owner has their own private disposal service (meaning you have those large bins and are contracted out to other disposal companies), then you only pay for your gas. Water is paid for by the owner, unless you have separate meters. If not you pay for gas, water, trash and sewer. Hope this helps.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
My tenants pay for all three... but they pay for it in through their rent. I don't pay for it out of my own pocket. So, if the water/sewage/waste disposal goes up, so does their rent (though I haven't had to do this). Maybe the justification for what you are saying is this... if the water/sewage/waste disposal bill goes up the charges can be applied right away since it's not a part of the rent. I know this doesn't answer your question but it might help a bit...
to the best of your knowledge, if you were to do it this way, would it be permissible under CA law?

Old 08-05-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
In Long Beach, the City of Long Beach charges you for gas, trash and sewer. But if the owner has their own private disposal service (meaning you have those large bins and are contracted out to other disposal companies), then you only pay for your gas. Water is paid for by the owner, unless you have separate meters. If not you pay for gas, water, trash and sewer. Hope this helps.
it might. does "you" in the last sentence refer to the tenant or the owner?

Old 08-05-2007, 06:43 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Something about this stinks. But, after living here these past several years I'm NOT SURPRISED BY ANYTHING that happens here.

Boy oh boy will I have stories to tell when I leave. The problem is that no one outside of Cali (or LA) will believe me.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
If there is a seperate meter to gauge water I would have the tenants pay for their own water. I would pay for (indirectly) the sewage and trash - but that's just me. I don't think what he/she is doing is unlawful. I would check the bill of the company and call them or check their website if you haven't done that already. Check your lease agreement also - it will usually say who pays for what re. utilities.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 PM

i'm getting the sense that these separate charges are uncommon, and at the very least, questionable. it's really an issue of apportionment, as i don't understand how a tenant determines if he is being billed his fair share. take the landlord's word for it?

anyhow, thanks for the replies.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:42 PM

723 posts, read 2,998,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Something about this stinks. But, after living here these past several years I'm NOT SURPRISED BY ANYTHING that happens here.

Boy oh boy will I have stories to tell when I leave. The problem is that no one outside of Cali (or LA) will believe me.

Yeah, you have it so rough.

I've lived and rented in 4 states. California doesn't do anything weird IMO; with the exception of the refrigerators (or lack thereof). If NO ONE believes you, it's because they are living in a dream world as well. When you see "utilities included" it means "the-rent-is-higher-to-cover-these-things"

Nothing is free. Including my advice, which is why I took the pot shots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles