U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:42 AM

1,465 posts, read 2,817,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
And, just above the first tunnel off of Santa Susanna Road, is the Lone Ranger rock.
A lot of interesting history in those hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
A lot of interesting history in those hills.

You are right.

Aside from the Spahn Ranch Manson hideout off SSPR, there is the old stagecoach trail which leads from present day Chatsworth Park South up to Lilac Lane at the eastern end of Simi. If you've hiked in that area, you'd find it amazing a stage coach could make it up that rugged trail. There is a placard embedded in the side of the hill half way up that trail commemorating the trail.
There were three stage coach routes, that one, one through Conejo Valley and one through SSPR. Eventually the railroad was built around 1904 or something like that and there was no more need for the stage.

More here:

Chatsworth Park 1955

There was a partial metldown of a rewactor at the Santa Susana Field Lab.
Back int eh 1950s, that lab powered the entire town of Moorpark.

Finally, Chatsworth Park South used to be a skeet shooting range (clay pidgeons). If walk around the north side of the grassy area of the park and look into the grass, there are still little pieces of broken up clay - I saw this from myself.

Chatsworth Park South 1955, then called Aqua Sierra Sportsmens Park

Here are some of Fleet's photos from one of his posts:

1. Some hikers walking up the stagecoach trail heading toward the dedication plaque.

2. The dedication plaque.

3. Another view looking up the trail.

4. The view from near the top of the trail, looking northeast.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM

^^ Very interesting Charles.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 AM

18,434 posts, read 16,286,796 times
Unfortunately, Chatsworth Park South has been fenced off for a few years. The reason supposedly being the lead from the ammunition in the ground from the skeet shooting many years ago. The Homestead Acre is still open the first Sunday of every month from 1-4 PM.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Unfortunately, Chatsworth Park South has been fenced off for a few years. The reason supposedly being the lead from the ammunition in the ground from the skeet shooting many years ago. The Homestead Acre is still open the first Sunday of every month from 1-4 PM.
How unfortunate, I have great memories of playing there in the 60's. Of course, we did have different rules, one of which "don't eat crap you find on the ground". Now our rules seem to be, "if there is crap on the ground, it is closed to everyone and called a HazMat site".

Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Unfortunately, Chatsworth Park South has been fenced off for a few years.
I didn't know that. I was last there maybe 2002/3/4 or something like that. But I do remember seeing chips of those clay pigeons in the grass on the north side of the grassy area (about where they would have exploded when shot).

Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 PM

8 posts, read 16,197 times
The Mansons huh? Wow that's pretty trippy. Well, I could've confused some details since then (it was the early 90s) but on the Google Earth map it says where Devonshire ends (the park begins?). So that's where we would park and hike. All I know is that trains scare the s**t outta me. Thanx for the intel tho!
VR

Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 PM

So this is what was before the 118? How you got to Simi? Damn that's trippy. I love old history like that...back when LA was orange groves and virgin land. Nice pix there.
VR

Old 06-03-2011, 04:27 PM

LOL yeah Big Brother had to ruin all our lead-eating dimentia-laced fun.
VR

Old 06-03-2011, 04:30 PM

Yeah that was a good move...I just kept re-running that part in Stand By Me where they were on that bridge...tunnels suck.
VR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles