Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 28,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I know many young people (mid to late 20's) who moved to LA after college, including my daughter. Dating seems to be the same there as it was in her college town as it was in her hometown...etc. I thing it depends on the groups you get plugged into. Nobody is rich, although some have families with money, everyone ies working and trying to start their careers.
This is very true...I definitely do think that it is the group of individuals you surround yourself with.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
You sound just like me almost. If I were you, I would get to LA in a heartbeat. A lot of what is described on this board is a massive generalization.

There are plenty of women who don't care about what car you drive. As they get older, they tend to care less because they don't want to be alone. Plus, if you like the cougars, LA is the place to be. Not very uncommon to see early 30 something women with mid to late 20s guys. Frankly, people here realize many women make more money than men.

I got sick and tired of people in Chicago when I went out asking why I didn't live in such and such an area of the city (generally Lincoln Park/Lakeview).

In LA, single people live all over the city. I live in Sherman Oaks and love it. Only a few people make comments about why I live in the Valley versus the Westside, far less than in Chicago. Here I can walk to everything, about 100 restaurants and a dozen bars. Lots of younger single people here.

There are plenty of people in LA who aren't that friendly or nice. But there are a lot who are extremely friendly.

People here are willing to drive much further. A lot of people in the Valley date people who live by the beach. It was difficult to get someone to take the train more than 4 stops in Chicago.
Thanks Nowincal, and sorry about my choppy post. I usually try to proofread so I don't get a reputation as someone who posts without sounded coherent.

I think LA might be just for me as a single guy. I actually relate better to women a little older. My last girlfriend was 9 years older (I was 29, she 38) She looked young and was very spunky, but that is an age difference where two people really are in different places in live.

I'm actually looking at job opportunities (in sales in educational publishing, my background is actually teaching college), but I have to emphasize in cover letter my strong interest in moving there, and willing to relocate on short notice. But I do want to secure a job first.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:49 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
I also tend to go for slightly older women. Must be due to my maturity haha. LA is the perfect place for that.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM

236 posts, read 789,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brix_8 View Post
I have heard a lot of people say the same thing...that if they were going to settle down and raise a family LA wouldn't be the place...any particular reason why you wouldn't?
Because I would want a house (owned) with enough room to accommodate a family with a back yard for the kids, and great schools (public) with less than an hour (or two) commute for myself to work. To find this combination in Los Angeles is nearly impossible unless you are a millionaire. Yes, you could live and work in the burbs, but I'm talking about living in LA proper or closeby. I have friends in LA with children, and quite frankly, I think it's a struggle to provide the same quality of life for them compared to other, less expensive cities. I'm not originally from LA, so it's not difficult for me to draw the comparisons to my friends who are parents in other areas. I have friends in other cities at lower levels of employment/relative pay who can provide far more support for their children than I could for children here, and I'm at an executive level.

If you're single, however, then none of the above applies obviously.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by lesallimc; 06-06-2011 at 05:06 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Not enough looking in the mirror by either counterparty...

In modern era, suspect affluent guys in any major city have little need/desire for marriage, unless they desire kids...as many know the steep costs of divorce for any high earner, as suffered by their elders who had made such idealistic, youthful mistakes

And places like BH or Manhattan attract a fresh crop of <25yo "rentals" every yr, so logic of "buying" makes little sense

Amused by claims of LA's unfriendliness for those wanting to raise kids...any major economic region like LA or PaloAlto or Manhattan has high costs of civilized life; most high achievers are workaholics who are ambivalent abt family life; but can afford short commutes to office, both in distance and fact that many high earners arrive very early and leave late, when lazier masses aren't clogging rds

Middle-income family wannabees are generally better served in suburban Dallas, commuting from their new, cheap tract house to offices in Plano/Irving to their middle-mgr dead-end career (offset by presumably wonderful family life)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles