Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,466,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
There are next to no German restaurants in the Los Angeles area. The Red Lion tavern north of downtown and the Alpine Village in Torrence are about the only two I know of that are in Los Angeles county.
There used to be one in Van Nuys, I forgot the name and didn't see it on Google maps...Old Heidelberg or something like that....I remember they poured raspberry syrup in my beer.

Would you like raspberry syrup in your beer?

Here's one but it is in Ventura:

Old Vienna Restaurant - German Restaurant in Ventura, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 02:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,481,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
There are next to no German restaurants in the Los Angeles area. The Red Lion tavern north of downtown and the Alpine Village in Torrence are about the only two I know of that are in Los Angeles county.
The Red Lion in Silver Lake is more of a bar than a restaurant although it does serve German food. Great, great place.

There's also Schatzi in Santa Monica (formerly owned by our Governor).

Spanish cuisine is just as rare in LA. La Paella in Beverly Hills and Spain (aka Restaurante Espana, or "Chicken of Spain"to locals) in Echo Park and a place in the San Pedro area are all that I know of.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:20 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,057,221 times
Are there any good Cuban restaurants in L.A.?? I remember seeing one a few years ago, I think it was in Hollywood, I didnt go in, but its the only one I've seen in my trips over there. I mean a place with REAL Cuban food.. kind of like what we have here in Miami. Authentic.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:25 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,166,870 times
I remember Old Heidelberg! There also was the Alpine Haus in San Fernando and The German Place in Newhall, all which are long gone.

Its tough being a Germanophile in Los Angeles.lol

Old 09-19-2007, 04:40 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,481,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
Are there any good Cuban restaurants in L.A.?? I remember seeing one a few years ago, I think it was in Hollywood, I didnt go in, but its the only one I've seen in my trips over there. I mean a place with REAL Cuban food.. kind of like what we have here in Miami. Authentic.
Versailles, which has 3 locations: one in Palms on Venice and Overland, one on La Cienega just south of Pico, and one in the Valley somewhere.

There's a fancy Cuban restaurant called Babalu in Santa Monica on Montana Ave. El Floridita in Hollywood is also pricey although it's not in a wealthy area like Babalu is.

I think Pasadena has some Cuban places as well.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:59 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,166,870 times
There is a Cuban restaurant in Burbank called Guantanamera.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:11 PM

142 posts, read 753,400 times
I've been to two Argentinian restaurants in Los Angeles. I don't know the names, but one is in Santa Monica Boulevard and Fairfax. There's two streets there full of bars, and the restaurant is there. The other one is a bit nicer, and it's on Melrose. It's in the front area between the L.A. Improv and Fred Segal. I know how to find them, but I forgot the names. Anyway, the food is delicious and the prices are good, especially at the Santa Monica Blvd. location.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:02 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,612,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
there's havana beach cafe on honolulu avenue in montrose (near glendale). i have never been there, but it has been on my list of places to try ever since they fed the firefighters battling those awful conflagrations in the san bernardino mountains a couple years ago. i like to support civic-minded businesses whenever i can, and wouldn't complain too much if when i finally make it there, the food is lousy.

the previously mentioned versailles also has a location in manhattan beach. it's probably the most popular cuban spot in LA. the venice blvd. location, in particular, always has a line trailing out the door on weekends.

for brazilian barbecue the way it is meant to be experienced (i.e., carved tableside off the spit), there's fogo de chao on la cienega near san vicente. for a much less pricey, cafeteria-style churasscaria, there's pampas grill at the fairfax farmer's market.

Last edited by katenik; 09-20-2007 at 02:13 AM..

Old 09-20-2007, 10:07 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,057,221 times
ok awesome, I'll look up those Cuban places next time I'm in L.A.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:46 PM

28 posts, read 139,737 times
Great Jamaican BBQ in Pasadena named Hutch's. Wonderful food, great service, reasonably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles