U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2011, 04:34 PM
 
11 posts, read 43,412 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Narrowing down our decision between Malibu and Pacific Palisades, my wife and I are most concerned about the school system in Pacific Palisades. Moving from Cleveland, that is where we feel we will have an ability to meet people and make new friends, oh yeah, and educate our 6 kids in safety.

While we love the beauty of Malibu, it is quite the drive from almost everything. Pacific Palisades has the cooler weather and is next to everything and appears to have a small community feel to it.

Malibu has the great local school system, and Pacific Palisades is part of the LA school system. I heard that the charter will be taken away from middle and high school. Can people weigh in on this?

Last edited by Moving to SoCal; 06-11-2011 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: broaden appeal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2011, 09:30 PM
hsw
 
2,144 posts, read 6,337,346 times
Reputation: 1516
Surely you're joking

Malibu is a summer wkend place for wealthy who have primary homes on LA's Westside or Woodside/Atherton/PaloAlto or Dall/Hou/Chic/NYC

Pali is a family area for those who opt for pvt schools (and commute to offices in CentCity/DLA/SM)

LA public schools (like any economically "heterogenous" big city in world where most "families" are poor and dumb) are much like public housing projects or mass transit or commercial air travel...stuff one deals with if lack money for private choices...thus why most middle-income families opt for places like Irvine or Calabasas...or in Cleve, newer suburbs like Westlake, etc (even the "rich" in GatesMills/HuntingVy opt for Hawken/US, not lame suburban public schools like those of PepperPike, etc)...who the hell raises kids within any city except poors (via public schools/housing/mass transit) or a few wealthy families (via pvt schools/homes and own Mercedes "taxis")???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 12:54 AM
 
Location: Earth
17,447 posts, read 23,872,739 times
Reputation: 7264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving to SoCal View Post
Narrowing down our decision between Malibu and Pacific Palisades, my wife and I are most concerned about the school system in Pacific Palisades. Moving from Cleveland, that is where we feel we will have an ability to meet people and make new friends, oh yeah, and educate our 6 kids in safety.

While we love the beauty of Malibu, it is quite the drive from almost everything. Pacific Palisades has the cooler weather and is next to everything and appears to have a small community feel to it.

Malibu has the great local school system, and Pacific Palisades is part of the LA school system. I heard that the charter will be taken away from middle and high school. Can people weigh in on this?
Yes, the charter is going to be taken away from Pali. In its place, Westchester is being converted into a charter (it has the lowest enrollment of any LAUSD comprehensive) and there's a very big chance Uni will be converted into a charter.

If you like the Palisades better than Malibu but are concerned about LAUSD and want good schools why not just move to Santa Monica? You'll get more of the feel of what you like, you won't be isolated like Malibu, and you'll have a pretty good local school system that's not LAUSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Acton
63 posts, read 177,801 times
Reputation: 30
Pacific Palisades schools are better than Santa Monica schools. Pacific Palisades is a nice family oriented community with excellent elementary schools. Palisades Elementary School has a good principal and parents who are very involved in the school. Plenty of people who can afford private school opt to send their children to public in Pacific Palisades. My daughter went to Paul Revere (middle school for Pac Pal), and I wasn't all that impressed with some of her teachers, but the campus is huge and very nice. I wonder how the charter removal with affect Paul Revere and Palisades High.

Malibu covers a huge area, and for the most part lacks the sense of community that Pac Pal has. The weather and amount of house/land you can get for your money varies dramatically depending on where in Malibu you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,447 posts, read 23,872,739 times
Reputation: 7264
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowkellycat View Post
I wonder how the charter removal with affect Paul Revere and Palisades High.
They will resemble what Wright and Westchester are like right now. Or, at best, what Uni and Emerson are like now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,660 posts, read 6,828,064 times
Reputation: 2440
I'd say Pacific Palisades and Malibu mix quite good. They both have good schools and are family friendly communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,447 posts, read 23,872,739 times
Reputation: 7264
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'd say Pacific Palisades and Malibu mix quite good. They both have good schools and are family friendly communities.
Santa Monica's better than the Palisades in those departments. (The Palisades isn't walkable, and, according to the Disgruntled One, still closes down at a ridiculously early hour.)

Pacific Palisades, Malibu, and Santa Monica all have issues with conspicuous consumption that IMO don't make them the best places to raise kids. And the Palisades being a "good pocket" of LAUSD is coming to a close with the charters being revoked. To buy in an LAUSD area with schools being a primary factor doesn't make sense - especially if that area has plummeting property values, like the Palisades, according to the Westside Bubble real estate blog. Property values are dropping in the Palisades more than anywhere else on the Westside - although still quite high.

Malibu is too disaster prone and there is a genuine feeling of isolation there which is not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,660 posts, read 6,828,064 times
Reputation: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Santa Monica's better than the Palisades in those departments. (The Palisades isn't walkable, and, according to the Disgruntled One, still closes down at a ridiculously early hour.)

Pacific Palisades, Malibu, and Santa Monica all have issues with conspicuous consumption that IMO don't make them the best places to raise kids. And the Palisades being a "good pocket" of LAUSD is coming to a close with the charters being revoked. To buy in an LAUSD area with schools being a primary factor doesn't make sense - especially if that area has plummeting property values, like the Palisades, according to the Westside Bubble real estate blog. Property values are dropping in the Palisades more than anywhere else on the Westside - although still quite high.

Malibu is too disaster prone and there is a genuine feeling of isolation there which is not for everyone.
Oh yeah, disasters like brush fires can happen in those areas, especially in the summers and early fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Coastal L.A.
514 posts, read 657,458 times
Reputation: 343
Santa Monica schools are better than Pacific Palisades LAUSD. If you are that concerned why not just move to either Malibu or SaMo? Skip L.A till your kids grow and leave your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 PM
 
4,212 posts, read 6,684,226 times
Reputation: 2636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
Santa Monica schools are better than Pacific Palisades LAUSD. If you are that concerned why not just move to either Malibu or SaMo? Skip L.A till your kids grow and leave your house.

This is actually the one case where an LAUSD school is as good independent city's school system. The LAUSD elementary schools in the Palisades and Palisades High School are some of the best public schools in LA county. Palisades High is comparable to Santa Monica High if not a little better. Paul Revere is also comparable to JAMs, though Lincoln in north santa monica is still considered the best public middle school in CA.

Don't know much about Malibu schools, but wouldn't raise a kid there. Although this thread is old, I'd have to advise anyone who can afford both areas to choose Pacific Palisades. Much more community oriented, friendly, and closer to the rest of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top