Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsterFan View Post
We are currently touring the United States and we have just came back from Los Angeles and i have to say we are very dissapointed with the city. I was so hyped up and so was my wife. Everything is so spread out and most of the attractions sucked. Most of the people were all full of themselves and snoby. Universal Studios in LA has to the worst in the world, there are no fun rides, its all for children. Hollywood was just one street full of homeless people and terrible museums. Also the traffic in LA is terrible... We spent a week there and we are glad to continue our US tour and we are currently in Atlanta, GA which is a nice city. Don't get me wrong, we love America but i don't have anything good to say about Los Angeles
Yep, the most hyped attractions are a disappointment. That's usually the case, unfortunately, and not unique to Los Angeles. But those were not nearly the extent of the things that attract people to cities like Los Angeles. You could have a memorable vacation without seeing a single one.

The size, I suppose, could be overwhelming.

Maybe it's just me, but when I tour a city, I don't want to feel like a tourist. I want to feel like I'm part of the city. It's uncommon for me to visit anything that was constructed primarily for the purpose of attracting tourists.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 PM

13 posts, read 25,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Yep, the most hyped attractions are a disappointment. That's usually the case, unfortunately, and not unique to Los Angeles. But those were not nearly the extent of the things that attract people to cities like Los Angeles. You could have a memorable vacation without seeing a single one.

The size, I suppose, could be overwhelming.

Maybe it's just me, but when I tour a city, I don't want to feel like a tourist. I want to feel like I'm part of the city. It's uncommon for me to visit anything that was constructed primarily for the purpose of attracting tourists.
I was mostly disappointed with the attractions, we both thought Hollywood was one of the main attractions of the world, everybody goes to places like Hollywood and we saved up for ages for stuff like this. We were very let down when we got their. The same goes for Santa Monica. Theres a place in the South East of England called Brighton, you might of heard of it, and thats triple the size of Santa Monica and the Pier that is much more interesting and that pretty much says a lot.

Last edited by MunsterFan; 06-17-2011 at 08:26 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Theres not too many cities that i know of that have cable cars to the top of a mountain and the view from the top is terrific.
Should have hit Palm Springs while you were in this area.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Should have hit Palm Springs while you were in this area.
We were going to go there and we decided to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain which in my opinion was the best theme park we went to in LA.

We should have included Palm Springs

Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Too bad you didn’t have time to make it down to Laguna Beach (Orange County):

YouTube - ‪Laguna Beach‬‏

YouTube - ‪Laguna Beach Scenery‬‏

Or, over to San Juan Capistrano (Orange County):

YouTube - ‪Mission San Juan Capistrano‬‏

Dana Point (Orange County) could have been a nice stop:

YouTube - ‪AMAZING Killer Whale Video - Dana Wharf Whale Watching - Dana Point, CA - Ocean Adventure Cruises‬‏

Last edited by pacific2; 06-17-2011 at 08:48 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
I"m glad the OP was disappointed.

Whiners deserve disappointment in addition to the time, money and trouble their disappointment cost them .

Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Too bad you didn’t have time to make it down to Laguna Beach (Orange County):

YouTube - ‪Laguna Beach‬‏

YouTube - ‪Laguna Beach Scenery‬‏

Or, over to San Juan Capistrano (Orange County):

YouTube - ‪Mission San Juan Capistrano‬‏

Dana Point (Orange County) could have been a nice stop:

YouTube - ‪AMAZING Killer Whale Video - Dana Wharf Whale Watching - Dana Point, CA - Ocean Adventure Cruises‬‏
We will be making a trip to San Francisco early next year for the first time, we can always make the trip to Laguna Beach and possibly palm springs..

Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
World of Coca-Cola...?!?

To each his own.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:25 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,921 times
Quote:
We are currently touring the United States and we have just came back from Los Angeles and i have to say we are very dissapointed with the city. I was so hyped up and so was my wife. Everything is so spread out and most of the attractions sucked. Most of the people were all full of themselves and snoby. Universal Studios in LA has to the worst in the world, there are no fun rides, its all for children. Hollywood was just one street full of homeless people and terrible museums. Also the traffic in LA is terrible... We spent a week there and we are glad to continue our US tour and we are currently in Atlanta, GA which is a nice city. Don't get me wrong, we love America but i don't have anything good to say about Los Angeles
well woopoopee-doo-doo. thank you for adding your cogent and insightful take on a city you spent five minutes in. it sure helps.

seriously though, you are in atlanta and you think LA traffic is bad? i am in atlanta right now and yes, the traffic in los angeles is pretty tough at times, but are you aware that statistically, atlanta traffic is rated number three worst in the US? and los angeles is sixth? i take it you are independently wealthy and don't have to deal with the commute into atlanta at say, 8 in the morning?

snobby and full of themselves? los angeles is full of some of the friendliest people i have ever met. you can't stroll down sunset and vine and pretend you have any idea about what the city is like. that's like the parable with the elephant and the three blind dudes all checking out one part of something and SWEARING that is the totality. nope. as someone who spend five years in los angeles i can tell you that you have missed one of the greatest cities in the united states. enjoy broiling temps in atlanta (which IS, by the way, an awesome city in and of itself, but nothing at all compared to LA. you are comparing apples and an orange ORCHARD), and a noted lack of....well, you name it. but it IS pretty here.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:55 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'm kind of surprised to always see tourists claiming that people in LA are "snobby and full of themselves" or unfriendly. WHAT people exactly? If you are at touristy places they make their living being the exact opposite of that. And I swear, every waiter at every place I eat when I visit wants to sit and chat it up...I've never run into "snobby and full of themselves". I suspect people EXPECT that and act accordingly, annoying everyone? It's got to be something because there is no such thing as a whole city of people "snobby and full of themselves" just like there is no city where everyone is friendly. It's rediculous. Everyone I know in LA is from somewhere else and just working for a living. If they are snobs or whatever they learned it from wherever they came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles