Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 25,535 times

Advertisements

We are currently touring the United States and we have just came back from Los Angeles and i have to say we are very dissapointed with the city. I was so hyped up and so was my wife. Everything is so spread out and most of the attractions sucked. Most of the people were all full of themselves and snoby. Universal Studios in LA has to the worst in the world, there are no fun rides, its all for children. Hollywood was just one street full of homeless people and terrible museums. Also the traffic in LA is terrible... We spent a week there and we are glad to continue our US tour and we are currently in Atlanta, GA which is a nice city. Don't get me wrong, we love America but i don't have anything good to say about Los Angeles

Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,760,092 times
L.A.'s spread out? You're kidding! When did that happen?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 PM

13 posts, read 25,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
L.A.'s spread out? You're kidding! When did that happen?
I don't know the history of LA so i wouldn't be able to answer that

Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,399,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsterFan View Post
We are currently touring the United States and we have just came back from Los Angeles and i have to say we are very dissapointed with the city. I was so hyped up and so was my wife. Everything is so spread out and most of the attractions sucked. We spent a week there and we are glad to continue our US tour and we are currently in Atlanta, GA which is a nice city.
People from Atlanta aren't allowed to comment on a city being "spread out." Atlanta is WAY MORE spread out and is a sprawled nightmare.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,802,558 times
Universal Studios...really? uh, what other "attractions" did you make your way to- Madam Tussauds Hollywood?- that's not a museum.
LA is full of amazing neighborhoods, shopping, and some of the best cultural destinations one could hope to find in a city. Yeah traffic can be a beetch and there are a few snobby folks to mock but come on, there is plenty of cool and interesting parts of the city.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,625,056 times
Actually, I think LA is far underrated as a tourist destination. I didn't have much interest in visiting until we moved there (no longer live there, but would happily move back!) because I thought the main highlights were theme parks and other such destinations; there is that, of course, but it's the "real" LA that is far, far more fascinating. I think it's a tough city to experience as a visitor, especially if you go in with preconceived stereotypes and a list of "attractions"; it's too easy to just see the negative stuff (traffic, dirty city streets, pollution, sprawl, etc.), and to overlook the really good stuff that isn't necessarily so obvious, or that doesn't always make it onto the more traditional "attractions" lists. That said, plenty of the big attractions ARE popular for a reason. I still think Griffith Park and its observatory is famous for a reason, Venice Beach is still a classic for a reason, Hollywood (especially if one gets out and walks up and down between Highland and Vine) is a glimpse into "old" Hollywood, even if there is a layer (and it's only one layer of many) of touristy junk stores. Huntington Museum and Garden is world-class, Olvera Street is touristy but fun, and offers a nice taste of historic LA, etc. LA isn't for everyone, but the one thing it isn't is boring. I think that's worth something.

I know I've said it before, as have many others on this forum, but I think LA is one of the more difficult -- perhaps most difficult? -- American cities to really visit as a tourist.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 PM

37,042 posts, read 41,961,954 times
I sometimes wonder if people think it's all like Disneyland and movie studios. Did you get to the beach at all? I enjoyed my last two trips to Weho and Laurel Canyon and I'm going to Santa Moinica next!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:52 PM

83 posts, read 155,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunsterFan View Post
We are currently touring the United States and we have just came back from Los Angeles and i have to say we are very dissapointed with the city. I was so hyped up and so was my wife. Everything is so spread out and most of the attractions sucked. Most of the people were all full of themselves and snoby. Universal Studios in LA has to the worst in the world, there are no fun rides, its all for children. Hollywood was just one street full of homeless people and terrible museums. Also the traffic in LA is terrible... We spent a week there and we are glad to continue our US tour and we are currently in Atlanta, GA which is a nice city. Don't get me wrong, we love America but i don't have anything good to say about Los Angeles
Most natives will agree. You are seeing what a couple generations of immigration has done add to the easy credit and the media encouraged self indulgence. It is basically a consumer paradise with all sorts of different minded people. I rarely go out anymore. There was a time when black tie was necessary on the Sunset Strip. It's lost it soul to mammon.

The problem is transience. People hesitate to get involved because they may not see you again and don't want to risk whatever. Alvin Tofler wrote about this in Future Shock while he was living in West LA in the late '60's. So we got this NY attitude I guess...

Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,967,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto100 View Post
Most natives will agree. You are seeing what a couple generations of immigration has done add to the easy credit and the media encouraged self indulgence. It is basically a consumer paradise with all sorts of different minded people. I rarely go out anymore. There was a time when black tie was necessary on the Sunset Strip. It's lost it soul to mammon.

The problem is transience. People hesitate to get involved because they may not see you again and don't want to risk whatever. Alvin Tofler wrote about this in Future Shock while he was living in West LA in the late '60's. So we got this NY attitude I guess...
Someone takes a superficial tour of LA and this brings up Alvin Toffler and the need for black ties on the Sunset Strip?

Toffler spent time as a young man in blue collar jobs in the midwest. The accelerated changes he noted happened just as much in places like Pittsburgh as California. If anything California grew faster and more furioiusly in earlier decades (1900 to 1960) than the past 30 years.

I think the OP needs to dig deeper on his/her next trip (leave the Toffler books on the plane).

Old 06-15-2011, 11:48 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,205,495 times
I've been to many (if not most) of the major cities in the US (not Hotlanta, however), and LA is by far my favorite. Tons to do, friendly people, & beautiful weather most of the time. Beaches, mountains, desert...

Amusement parks, museums, art houses, glitzy stuff, outdoorsy stuff... pretty much something for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles