Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 AM

5 posts, read 12,363 times

Advertisements

I am in the Visual Effects industry and looking to relocate to an (affordable area)- preferably, around the Santa Monica area. I have a 13 year old son , so I would like to find a nice area with good schools and safe surroundings. I have very little information to go by, so far. Could someone who has been in this area for a while give me some helpful information, PLEASE and Thank You!

Last edited by ga2calif; 08-07-2007 at 01:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 AM

168 posts, read 634,685 times
Someone can answer you more easily if they know what is "affordable" in your eyes. Are you planning to rent, or buy? What size? Where will you work? Traffic is a huge consideration.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:07 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,313,592 times
How much is your housing budget? Where are you going to work? From there we can advise you.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:39 PM

Renting, (affordable) would be $1200 to $1600 for 2 bedrooms, Glendale to Santa Monica areas, definitely on the west side of LA. And, of course, we would like to be as close to the beach as possible. We are now in the Atlanta Metro area, 30 min. west of Atlanta, much too far from the beach! I am still interviewing at the moment, so I am unsure of location for place of employment as of yet. A conservative estimation of income should be around 75k per year. Anyone who can offer any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-07-2007, 03:56 PM

225 posts, read 1,087,803 times
That's a pretty conservative figure for housing. Even $1600 is only a quarter of a $75k salary, pre-tax. Many Angelenos will spend a higher proportion of their income than that, particularly if they want to be near good schools and the beach. Santa Monica is full of Brits and New Yorkers who are used to paying astronomical rents.

If you are offered a job in Burbank or Pasadena, you won't have a problem finding good, affordable housing and schools nearby. But you won't be near the beach either.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,313,592 times
I say you spend a tad more and live in Santa Monica. For about $1800 you can have something like this:
Nice and quiet Santa Monica Apt (broken link)
This is a thoroughly decent place to live by the beach and I'm hearing that's where you want to be. Many Angelenos spend 1/3 of their rent or more on housing. Don't commute if you can get away with it. You'll spend a ton of time in your car and burn up tons of gas and wear and tear on your car and your nerves.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 PM

13 posts, read 48,461 times
Yes, I agree with the postings so far. Santa Monica is a great place to live but also very expensive. The closer to the beach you are the more you will pay for housing. A close friend of mine pays $2000 in a small 1 bedroom apartment in Santa Monica 2 blocks from the beach :-( Blocks from the beach to Angelinos is literally close to the beach but for many 5-25 miles is close. It's all relative.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 PM

Ouch!!! Thanks so much for the info. It is very helpful! I think maybe we should take advice and try, say, Burbank or Pasadena. At least we would be close enough to the beach for a once a week visit, as opposed to once a year visit to Fla. from here. Not to sound cheap, but we are accustomed to a $800.00@mo. mortgage payment. This is for a 4bdrm, 2ba (two story) house on 1 Acre. I realize this would be impossible to meet in CA., however, going from $800 to $2,000+@mo. would take some getting used to.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:59 PM

13 posts, read 48,461 times
Don't worry. Burbank and Pasadena are great places to live and not that far from the beach either. I used to live just a few blocks away from the beach but I hardly ever spent that much time there because I had to work so much to pay for where I was living.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:59 AM

16 posts, read 73,612 times
[quote=ga2calif;1232684]Ouch!!! Thanks so much for the info. It is very helpful! I think maybe we should take advice and try, say, Burbank or Pasadena. At least we would be close enough to the beach for a once a week visit, as opposed to once a year visit to Fla. from here. Not to sound cheap, but we are accustomed to a $800.00@mo. mortgage payment. This is for a 4bdrm, 2ba (two story) house on 1 Acre. I realize this would be impossible to meet in CA., however, going from $800 to $2,000+@mo. would take some getting used to. [/QU

This is all true but, their are a few places that are close enough and not too expensive. You might try, Culver City, Playa Del Rey, Torrance, Redondo Bch. These would all require a bit more driving but well worth it. I live on the Strand which is on the ocean and it is worth it. For those who are young and love the ocean it is well worth it. I live in Hermosa Beach and it is very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles