U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2011, 03:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,692 times
Default Who pays common area expenses?

Hi everyone,
Just joined this forum & could not find any threads about who is supposed to pay the common area electricity expenses?
I just found out tonight that the light outside my front door is connected to my electric panel, I am 100% sure that it is the responsibility of the owner of the property to pay for that expense!
I have lived in this apartment for 17 years having two different owners.
I think that I am entitled for a payback because no where on the rental agreement does it say that I pay for that expense!
What can I do besides installing an LED light bulb?
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 11:19 AM

6,516 posts, read 13,491,207 times
I take this is a apartment. You should be receiving a small stipend to allow for the light if it is hard wired.
If you have a switch inside next to the door it is your responsibility.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:04 PM

24,437 posts, read 14,808,784 times
I would love to see your breakdown of what that light bulb has cost you over 17 years. And I'd only bring it up if you are ok with a rent increase.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:06 PM

11,728 posts, read 22,905,946 times
Assuming everyone has a light by their door, would it really matter if the owner paid for the electricity and bumped everyone's rent enough to cover it?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:32 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,004,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Assuming everyone has a light by their door, would it really matter if the owner paid for the electricity and bumped everyone's rent enough to cover it?
Excellent point. Sometimes it's best to be silent.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:54 PM

2,230 posts, read 2,227,540 times
If the light is wired into your meter, then you HAVE a light switch somewhere in your unit that controls that light.
If you don't have a switch, there is no way the light is wired into your light meter.
Being an apartment building, strict electrical codes had to be followed when the building was constructed, and it is highly doubtful that common areas lighting were wired directly into each apartment.
Is your apartment on the inside of the building with a hallway, or is it a unit that is accessed directly from the outside, like a house would be?
If it is the latter, your front door is not considered a common area.
Bob.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:43 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,950,379 times
That's one helluva light bulb if you're just thinking about it now. Cost of replacing that lightbulb over the span of 17 years is probably more than you've paid in electric costs. That said, it sounds like others have pointed you in the right direction to figure out who should be paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles