U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 08:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,338 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I received my second jury summons, first was I guess in October. The one in October I never received the only way I knew about it is because I got another summons. Back in November I called the courts and told them I never received the first summons and explained that I was a stay at home mom to two little kids one of which Im breastfeeding. The said they were going to send me another request and to fill it out and send it back. I never got that request so I have called them many times so they would send it to me and still haven't gotten it. Now I got a summons to and it says Im not eligible for an excuse! Im about to call them. I was excused because of my kids and breastfeeding but now Im not? Any advice
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 02:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,318,552 times
Have your pediatrician sign the summons off for a medical exemption.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:18 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,215,764 times
The court has the "burden of proof" that you even received the summons, your phone call to them is a receipt.

They say jury duty is for people too stupid to get out of it.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:45 PM

7,115 posts, read 19,000,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
They say jury duty is for people too stupid to get out of it.
not in LA county. when i lived in orange and riverside counties i got out of jury duty every time, but LA county is hardcore. last time i went to jury duty the judge didn't dismiss anybody because of their excuses, not even college students who were home temporarily from school. everyone was expected to perform their 'civic duty'.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:01 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,685,423 times
I just got summoned today. very upset. first time since 2006. It's a terrible injustice.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:32 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,215,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
,,,, but LA county is hardcore. last time i went to jury duty the judge didn't dismiss anybody because of their excuses,,,,
See, you gave them receipt of the summons by appearing.

Never served jury duty myself. Never been summoned, not once.

The one time I did respond was when the court in Monterey summoned me after I had worked there for two years, this was in 2000. I called up and asked about the hotel they would have house me in. They said huh, I told them I merely had a PO box as I was working out of town and Carmel does not deliver mail to homes. The clerk and I both had a laugh, said I was excused.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,169,288 times
One of the downsides of living in LA IMO.

-They are hardcore. I remember a guy years ago, maybe 2001 or 2002, I was selected, and another potential juror was starting a business. The judge looks at you like some kind of robot, lol..."of course you can serve". Doesn't seem to matter what you're in the middle of. I think you could be in the middle of accepting a nobel peace prize or curing famine...but still, got to go.

-I dont like that you can be assigned *anywhere* in LA, its crazy. Esp in this traffic? Are they thinking?? They seem to have no inkling of convenience. I feel like they treat you as if you're on a conveyor belt. And you wonder why people want to get out?

-If they were smart, they'd pre qualify you on the internet. Save a whole lot of time and hassle. But they aren't that efficient. Its like dealing with a gigantic DMV.

Not fun!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:19 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,173,927 times
Go the first day and if you're interviewed to be a potential juror, tell the judge that you believe the defendant to be guilty because the police never make mistakes.

The defense attorney will ask that you be excused.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,275,990 times
I went in 2009 but was only there one day and 6 weeks later as I was moving I got another one! I just left in my mailbox. Now I am flying as far below the radar as I can, I am too impoverished to deal with this bull****.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM

1,733 posts, read 6,080,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Go the first day and if you're interviewed to be a potential juror, tell the judge that you believe the defendant to be guilty because the police never make mistakes.

The defense attorney will ask that you be excused.

Nope. The judge will simply reassign you to the Civil Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles