U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,645 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'll be moving to LA from the east coast in a few weeks and am looking for a place to rent near Cal State Northridge as I will be a graduate student there. I have a tight budget but would prefer living alone in a studio apt rather than with roommates or in a rented room. I've been looking on craigslist for studios and notice the prices are much better for areas right outside of Northridge. I'm finding a lot within my price range in Canoga Park, North Hills, Tarzana, Van Nuys, etc. One I'm seriously considering now (great price and seems nice from the pictures, off-street secure parking, etc.) is located in North Hills at Orion and Parthenia, right over the 405... Is this a really bad neighborhood? I have family in LA who keeps telling me to avoid Van Nuys, but they don't know much about North Hills or the other areas. I've read some questionable things on here about North Hills though (and then others that have said it's not so bad, so it's hard to know for sure).

Also, does anyone know how accurate the data from crimemapping.com is? Some areas that have a reputation for being such "bad" neighborhoods don't seem to have nearly as many crimes listed as others that don't have that reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,980,642 times
Orion and Parthenia isn't the greatest of neighborhoods. Things are much better west of the 405 and north of Parthenia. Just east of the location you describe is Panorama City and Pacoima, which are the most dangerous areas of the Valley.

The crime stats don't always tell the whole story. Van Nuys is not terrible, but also not really that safe. There is a lot of unreported crime such as prostitution, narcotics dealing, gang activity versus the harder crimes like homicide, burglary, robbery, etc, which there isn't too much of anymore. It does get shady at night though.

Canoga Park is much safer and less shady in my opinion. Northridge itself is pretty nice. Tarzana is pretty good too. I will say that CSUN is a commuter school for both undergrads and grad students alike. Not too many grad students live up in the Northridge area.

The younger areas of the Valley are Studio City, Sherman Oaks, and Woodland Hills. Tarzana and Encino aren't bad options either, they are cheaper, but you will have to drive to find stuff to do.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:45 AM

63 posts, read 70,991 times
I agree, stay west of the 405 and north of Nordhoff. Have you considered Chatsworth? It's on the other side of Northridge and will have less traffic

Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 PM

880 posts, read 1,130,626 times
Not sure about now but at least up until a few years ago, Parthenia & Orion was crack central for the San Fernando Valley.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:29 PM

105 posts, read 151,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca2684 View Post
Canoga Park, North Hills, Tarzana, Van Nuys
Good, bad, good, bad.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,698,525 times
I'm born and raised in the Valley and just moved away a few months ago so I'm extremely familiar with all the areas you mentioned. Most parts of Tarzana are safe. I would never, ever live in Canoga Park or Van Nuys. North Hills isn't great either, but it's not horrible. My husband's family lived there for a few years, but moved away because they didn't think it was safe. It really depends which street you live on. Some are fine and other's aren't. Anywhere near the 405 I would avoid. As a female, I wouldn't feel safe living near Parthenia and Orion. Some parts of Northridge aren't bad...mostly the northern areas of Northridge are better than the southern parts. I'd look into Chatsworth, Encino, or Woodland Hills. I lived in Chatsworth for 21 years and lived in Encino for 3. I just moved away from Encino and found it very safe and it wouldn't be a bad drive to CSUN. Avoid Reseda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles