U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2011, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 14,233 times

Advertisements

Is this a good area to live for a young married couple with a large dog, no kids, one attending UCLA for grad school, the other working in Pasadena? Although we'll have opposite commutes, they seem equidistant... Anyone know how long will it take to get from Hancock Park to UCLA? What about Hancock Park to Pasadena?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 11:55 AM

1,046 posts, read 679,605 times
Yes, Hancock Park is a very nice area. And it is about equidistant from UCLA and Pasadena.

The ONE downside to Hancock Park (other than the high rent/home prices) is that there is not real good freeway access. But I wouldn't let that stop me from living there b/c it is a very nice, centrally located neighbohrood. And in your case I can't think of any other better options.

Perhaps Los Feliz but that is closer to Pasadena but farther from UCLA. Los Feliz does put you near a subway stop (red line) which you could take to downtown and transfer to the gold line to Pasadena. Given the transfer I don't think the train saves you any time in your commute. But it does give you an option to avoid the freeways.

I would most likely pick Hancock Park and drive to work in Pasadena. If you guys live close enough to Wilshrie your wife (or husband) could take one of the metro rapid (or "express") buses to Westwood.

Assuming you both will drive from Hancock Park to Pasadena & UCLA, I would estimate a "peak hour" drive time to UCLA of about 30 to 40 minutes. All surface streets straight down Wilshire. By peak hour I mean (mon - fri, 6am to 10am, 4pm to 7pm).

From H.P. to Pasadena I would take the 2 freeway to the 134 Freeway. At "peak hour" I am guessing about 30 to 45 minutes.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 14,233 times
Talking thanks

thank you for that very encouraging, positive, and detailed response!!! we've run into so much negativity in searching for a place to live in LA given our situation. how refreshing to hear!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 PM

2,790 posts, read 2,890,339 times
I wouldn't say Hancock Park is equidistant to UCLA and Pasadena. It's quite a bit closer to UCLA at least in miles. I used to drive from UCLA to Hancock Park pretty often and it should never take more than 45 minutes as long as you're being smart about the streets (i.e. avoiding Wilshire when it's congested). I actually have a fun and windy route from UCLA to hancock park that avoids all major arteries..

Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 AM

181 posts, read 158,210 times
Nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles