Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:16 PM

157 posts, read 504,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig29 View Post
OP, as you work for the restaurant owner and take a paycheck, a failure to adhere to what he wants you to do is classed as insubordination. Ignore the boss, and he'll find an excuse to fire you.

There are worse things your boss could require of you, but nothing stops you from seeking a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 5,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary B. View Post
Read this information and watch this video on the Yelp Filter:

Yelp Official Blog: Yelp's Review Filter Explained

Explain to your boss that posting fake reviews will not work because the reviews will be filtered and then will not be seen or count towards your restaurant's overall rating. It would be a complete waste of time.

Maybe if you just stick to the facts, you can avoid the deeper ethical issue.
Good link, thanks. This section is of particular interest:
3. The best word of mouth is organic and unsolicited. As counter-intuitive as it may seem, Yelp discourages business owners from asking people to write reviews about their businesses. It's tough for an algorithm to tell the difference between a business owner aggressively putting a laptop in front of a client and saying, "Give me 5 stars!" and that same business owner flipping the laptop around and manufacturing a fake 5-star review about themselves.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:10 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
If you don't do it, your boss will, and probably is already. You don't need to jeopardize your job to try and be the hero. In the restaurant business, fake/artificially slanted reviews are one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Post a bunch of fake negative reviews. Your boss will get what he deserves.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:31 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Post a bunch of fake negative reviews. Your boss will get what he deserves.
Lost in this discussion is the overall context. For example, what if...

1. What if it's a nice little restaurant run by a great couple... After all, even the best restaurants get bad reviews.

2. What if her boss is actually a hoot to work for, and this is the worst thing he has ever asked...

3. What if she really enjoys working there and wants the place to do well....

I take it from the comments that most of us assume she works in a dump restaurant for some guy who thinks "Hell's Kitchen" is an instructional video. Maybe it is, but we don't know.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:27 PM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
1. What if it's a nice little restaurant run by a great couple... After all, even the best restaurants get bad reviews.
a fake review is still dishonest.

Quote:
2. What if her boss is actually a hoot to work for, and this is the worst thing he has ever asked...

Quote:
3. What if she really enjoys working there and wants the place to do well....

Old 08-02-2011, 03:15 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post

It's become a form of marketing. I'd ask you what you think of regular ole advertising, political ads, car ads, and so on.... but I suspect we'd need a beer or two for that.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-02-2011 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
It's become a form of marketing.
In which case, marketing is dishonest.

Dishonest still = bad.

Places like yelp actually once served a noble purpose...until the bastards spread so much BS around that it's become more of a nuisance to sift through the crap to find real reviews than to just go somewhere else for useful information. Happens right here in C-D, unfortunately ("OMG, this place sucks, everybody's mean, it's so boring, I can't get laid, blah, blah, blah").

Lying does, in fact, do real damage to legitimate businesses. Even if "everybody does it."

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times
I don't see anything wrong with it. If I was you I would have thought of the idea my boss even suggested it.

It's a very common tactic and many businesses do it. Make sure you post using different IP'S, otherwise some review sites like Yelp can tell that you are the same person and "filter" your reviews. Yelp in particular does this but other review sites don't. You can rent different ip's from some websites (your boss will pay for it) or use a proxy or something. Of course make sure to make up a bunch of fake g-mail addresses so you can set up multiple accounts. And be SMART when you post fake reviews; some people are so stupid and post one on June 19 and another one on June 20 and another one on June 23rd while the last review before that was 8 months ago. It's so obvious! Space it out so it looks natural.

Make sure each review uses a different style of writing; one could be a teenager, another one a person with bad grammar, next a person with perfect grammar. Not just the grammar but especially the tone and style.

Wouldn't bother me if me boss asked me to do it... lol. Like I said, I would probably be the one to bring it up. It's not a big deal.

Sorry but I don't have any ethics in business; I guess you can call me ruthless. Dishonesty doesn't bother me. I am smart enough to filter out which reviews are real and fake. I can spot them a mile away. If others can't, that's their problem.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post

Sorry but I don't have any ethics in business; I guess you can call me ruthless.
Well, at least you are honest about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: