Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:15 PM

723 posts, read 2,993,945 times

Advertisements

Locations are everywhere. Major production ALL gets done in LA.

Unless you are in the SF camp (Lucas, Pixar) Los Angeles is the ONLY place film gets done. Big titles anyway (there's no money in independent film unless you are that one in a million). I'm currently working on one of the largest budget titles in the industry right now (hint it's a series), and in history to date (Cameron's Avatar is bigger )

Anyway, if you want REAL film money, you live in LA. You DON'T live in Vancouver. You live in Vancouver because you're a hippy, or some other reason- NOT for film.

PS- I'll be on location next year on the Spanish isles Lord willing, but the brunt of the film gets made in LA. 75% of the preproduction is done here because this is where all the industry people live. (I'm seeing more post-viz happen overseas, but it's usually just the final post-viz). I would say closer to 90% of post-production is done here as well. Then, while crews are out filming, there's teams of suits here managing budgets, and handling logistics. So anyone who says "You can make film anywhere!" is silly. They also either don't understand the ways films make money for individuals, or they're thinking that everyone in film is Brandgelina, who can afford to live anywhere, and just fly out to a location to film for a few months a year.

Just saying.

Edumacate yo'seff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 06:18 PM

307 posts, read 1,418,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Locations are everywhere. Major production ALL gets done in LA.

Unless you are in the SF camp (Lucas, Pixar) Los Angeles is the ONLY place film gets done. Big titles anyway (there's no money in independent film unless you are that one in a million). I'm currently working on one of the largest budget titles in the industry right now (hint it's a series), and in history to date (Cameron's Avatar is bigger )

Anyway, if you want REAL film money, you live in LA. You DON'T live in Vancouver. You live in Vancouver because you're a hippy, or some other reason- NOT for film.

PS- I'll be on location next year on the Spanish isles Lord willing, but the brunt of the film gets made in LA. 75% of the preproduction is done here because this is where all the industry people live. (I'm seeing more post-viz happen overseas, but it's usually just the final post-viz). I would say closer to 90% of post-production is done here as well. Then, while crews are out filming, there's teams of suits here managing budgets, and handling logistics. So anyone who says "You can make film anywhere!" is silly. They also either don't understand the ways films make money for individuals, or they're thinking that everyone in film is Brandgelina, who can afford to live anywhere, and just fly out to a location to film for a few months a year.

Just saying.

Edumacate yo'seff
cracking up at your post. i think many people DO have the impression that people who work in film are all like Brandgelina, etc. Having grown up around sets and in a film bus family....most of the people who actually make the film (camera man, sound man, etc.) work long, unglamorous hours and don't have the luxury of jet-setting around the world. The Hollywood shown in the media is the super visible 5% of the industry (big name actors, etc.) and not what most people's life in the film business is about.

Anyhow...we've gone off on a tangent. Good luck with your project. Sounds like you will get to do a little jet-setiing. = )

Old 08-27-2007, 06:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,522,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
cracking up at your post. i think many people DO have the impression that people who work in film are all like Brandgelina, etc. Having grown up around sets and in a film bus family....most of the people who actually make the film (camera man, sound man, etc.) work long, unglamorous hours and don't have the luxury of jet-setting around the world. The Hollywood shown in the media is the super visible 5% of the industry (big name actors, etc.) and not what most people's life in the film business is about.

Anyhow...we've gone off on a tangent. Good luck with your project. Sounds like you will get to do a little jet-setiing. = )
Being a native I know very well about the technical people and blue collar people, particularly having had some PA jobs myself. I also know that at any given time something like 98% of SAG members are not working AT ALL, much less making big bucks doing so.

There are people with the proper training and background to fill every sort of position in Vancouver, Sydney, NZ, Prague etc. already, which just means further losses of good paying jobs in L.A.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Being a native I know very well about the technical people and blue collar people, particularly having had some PA jobs myself. I also know that at any given time something like 98% of SAG members are not working AT ALL, much less making big bucks doing so.

There are people with the proper training and background to fill every sort of position in Vancouver, Sydney, NZ, Prague etc. already, which just means further losses of good paying jobs in L.A.
There's not nearly enough people in any of those places to fill a film crew. And I have been to some of them, most recently Prague. Barrandov in Czech is impressive for Czech. But... it's about the size of ONE, maybe one and a half medium sized production shops in Los Angeles. It is maybe a quarter the size of Fox or Sony or Paramount. Currently our film is employing twice the people of Barrandov- and we're months out from shooting. (We're already multi-national too!)

You are on crack if you think the films that get shipped to these places don't have tons of external support (Read: supplies/trucks/crew/ from the US- specifically Los Angeles). Barrandov [and the other site where filming was taking place in Czech] had crews in from all over Europe to support a major production. And about a 1/4 of the equipment (trucks and whatnot were from the US!!!)

So listen carefully. Tell me if you can hear a snapping sound as I roll my eyes so hard that I break my my optic nerves.

Now, how does this relate to the topic?

It is THE reason I am in LA. To make film. I cannot work doing what I do ANYwhere else in the world without taking MAJOR major pay cuts, if having any steady work at all.

Film happens in Los Angeles.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
There's not nearly enough people in any of those places to fill a film crew. And I have been to some of them, most recently Prague. Barrandov in Czech is impressive for Czech. But... it's about the size of ONE, maybe one and a half medium sized production shops in Los Angeles. It is maybe a quarter the size of Fox or Sony or Paramount. Currently our film is employing twice the people of Barrandov- and we're months out from shooting. (We're already multi-national too!)
I am aware of the multinational aspects of film production. Nothing new.

Quote:
Film happens in Los Angeles.
Forgetting about NYC?

Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I am aware of the multinational aspects of film production. Nothing new.
Apparently it is...

Quote:
Forgetting about NYC?
Uhm... film. I did say film, right?

Yes. I did.

Can you name 1 film studio in NYC?

This is OT

Private message me please so I can rip you a new one without getting banned!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:47 PM

473 posts, read 2,748,890 times
Sigh...actors one of the best things about not being in LA anymore. They sure do love hearing themselves talk

Old 08-27-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Apparently it is...
Unaware of the golden age of Cinecitta and "Hollywood on the Tiber" in the 1950s and 1960s?

[/quote]Uhm... film. I did say film, right?

Yes. I did.

Can you name 1 film studio in NYC?

Kaufman Astoria Studios in Queens (formerly the old Paramount Studios).Steiner Studios in the old Brooklyn Navy Yard.

All of the majors have offices in NY, btw.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
Sigh...actors
Too bad I am not an actor, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
They sure do love hearing themselves talk
Kind of like people who don't live in LA anymore; then, troll the LA forums to post personal attacks?

hahaha

Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Unaware of the golden age of Cinecitta and "Hollywood on the Tiber" in the 1950s and 1960s?
When I said "apparently it is" I mean it "IS" new to you.

Quote:
Kaufman Astoria Studios in Queens (formerly the old Paramount Studios).Steiner Studios in the old Brooklyn Navy Yard.
Sweet, they make Sesame Street. Literally.

Quote:
All of the majors have offices in NY, btw.
"Have an office in" |= "makes film"

I wont reply to you anymore as we're already WAY off topic, and I've already requested this be moved to private. So apparently, you're in capable of reading or something, who knows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles