Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 40,501 times

Advertisements

I am leaving California for good, and before I am off I would really like a good laugh, so I am asking people to give me a good reason why anyone in their right mind would buy a 500k "junker"? California is nice, but not that nice.

It just kills me when people that are "hoping" to someday own a home here use the " I can go to the beach and mountains, in the same day excuse". Yes you can, if you have any money left from your 3000 dollar morgage payment.

SO, I am asking people like me that have lived here well over 15 years- is being broke, but having the "ability" to do things really that important to people here?? We are moving to TN, we did some reasearch and not only can I probably make more there,but for 500k I can get a 4000 + square foot mansion. Not that I would do that, but knowing that I can get a similar home that would cost 600k here for 180k there- why would I stay? Oh yes, probably for the traffic, smog, or maybe the promise that I might go bankrupt someday. And for those of you that say "there might be a big tornado in TN" , when is that last time we had a "big" earthquake here?? I predict California will be bankrupt in 10 years- face the facts and get out NOW while you still have a chance to make a good life for yourself, and your family...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:11 PM

134 posts, read 562,220 times
I bet in Tn you can get a decent house for 100k,prices here are falling and in a few ears 300k wil get you a good house.I like the outlying desert areas Lancaster Palmdale as they are much cheaper and still you can take a drive to the beach.Houses that where 350k 2 years ago are now 250k and still falling.Be patient and you will be able to buy here again.However Tn Ky and other states are very nice and 100k to 150k will buy you a very nice place.the question is can you find a job as Californians are not very well liked around the country.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:21 PM

10 posts, read 40,501 times
I have had 2 offers already, both paid more then what I make here currently- but ended up going to "local candidates" - I am not going to let that happen again. 250k, where are you seeing homes in that price range here? I would be scared to see the home, or live in that area for 250k, and that is a really sad thing to say. I have been all over the country, never had that "Californians are not liked" thing yet. 350k for a "20 year old fixer - upper" is still not worth it to me anyway.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californialeavin View Post
I am leaving California for good, and before I am off I would really like a good laugh, so I am asking people to give me a good reason why anyone in their right mind would buy a 500k "junker"? California is nice, but not that nice.

Brother, I've learned a lot on these forums. I moved from Thousand Oaks to Colorado. There are a lot of people who really dig on California. Many of them are either "in" already (they bought more than five years ago), or they are in a very specific SoCal business (like movies), or they have lifestyles that places like Tennessee don't support too much. Many of them don't have kids. Many of them are just getting started in a corporate world and being in LA or OC is really beneficial to them since they probably won't buy a house or worry about schools.

I completely understand your post though. I really doubt people middle class people with kids find Southern California a viable region to move to.

I can envision some people (single, sociable, outgoing, adventurous, spare time abundant) find California a worthwhile place to live in - temporarily.

I did.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:36 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,974 times
If you can make more and live for less in another State, I would be the first to tell you to go for it. It makes great economic sense.

My suggestion to you is to take BOTH the positive difference in income & the savings in expenses and put them into an investment plan. No excuses. This would be in addition to your current savings plan. Not as a replacement. Make the best out of this opportunity you have walked into and make it work for you.

I have a friend who moved to colorado as well. He takes about 3 well planned surf trips that last about 2 weeks each. Summer provides mountain biking & in the winter he has access to the slopes. Best move he's ever made.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:45 PM

19 posts, read 31,064 times
Maybe they enjoy living above their means??? That's all
I can think b/c I can't even afford a savings living here.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:02 PM

182 posts, read 900,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californialeavin View Post
SO, I am asking people like me that have lived here well over 15 years- is being broke, but having the "ability" to do things really that important to people here??
At one time, yes. I'm a socal native, born in Long Beach, but I pretty much grew up in Santa Barbara which, next to San Fransico, is one of the most expensive places to live in CA.

I lived paycheck to paycheck in a 7 bedroom house for nearly 10 years because enjoying what Santa Barbara had to offer at the time was more important to me than material things like having a house, money and fancy cars. Hiking in the mountains, going to the beach, always something to do and things to see.

As I approached 30, I thought it was time to get those things and the only way that was going to happen was to win the lottery or move. So I moved to St. Louis. Got a good job that paid well, was able to buy a house and have a nice savings account for the first time. But you know what? I was miserable. I HATED the midwest and it wasn't worth it to me to have those things and live there. I couldn't wait to get back to CA (Pasadena).

Then a funny thing happened, after being away for 3 years and in my early 30's all of a sudden it wasn't so much fun there any more. Traffic was a pain, everything seemed so noisy, too many people, it took forever to get anywhere or to do anything. 6 months later I moved to Birmingham, AL and have found the home for me. It's like a little bit of Pasadena and LA rolled up in a much smaller more affordable city and I can still go to the mountains and the beach on weekends.

So basically, I think it just depends on what's important to you and the stage of life you happen to be in.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:45 PM

13 posts, read 48,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdawgx View Post
the question is can you find a job as Californians are not very well liked around the country.

I hear yah. Even Californians don't like Californians just read some of the posts here (assuming everyone who posts messages are from here).

I do however think that California Leavin' is making a sound decision by moving out of state. Unless you are earning $250/year per household, you can't afford to buy a median, good neighborhood home in Los Angeles and still live a good lifestyle. There are other options out there like moving to other states where you can afford to buy a big house and raise your kids and not have to worry about a high mortgage.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:39 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Enjoy your dream of a 4000 square foot MCMansion. I left and came back twice. I won't do it again. I make great money here and I can live wherever I want. I've never seen another place with the opportunities not only for making money but all the cultural ones as well.

Don't let the door hit you...

Old 08-13-2007, 06:48 PM

67 posts, read 206,873 times
Here are my top 7 reasons, in no particular order:

1. I can make more money faster in CA than anywhere else, except probably NYC;
2. Real estate in LA has proven to most consistently appreciate over time than any other city in America, with Boston, SF and Manhattan close behind;
3. I enjoy the diversity and tolerance that LA/OC offers, which is shared by only one other city in America - NYC.
4. The weather here is consistently the most appealing for me (I know some people prefer 4 seasons)
5. Surf, ski, camping, biking, etc. all within a 3 hour car ride.
6. The best selection of food typical of diverse metro areas.
7. Accessible and affordable university system - the JC/CC curriculum that will be accepted by the entire UC system.

These are things off the top of my head. The only 2 things I dislike about SoCal:
1. Housing issues
2. Smog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles