Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,456,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
This is just a few things you can do to prepare. There is never any need to fear when you are prepared. I just hope my high rise office building holds up in a large earthquake if I am unlucky enough to be a work when it hits.
If it hits. Or, if overly concerned, move somewhere that has a lower probability but you may just be substituting some other potential natural disaster for them and with a higher probability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:14 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,129,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
My absolutely favorite earthquake scene in a movie/tv show was in the pilot for Cybill. People are sitting in a restaurant in the Valley when a large tremor hits. The room vibrates, dishes clatter, the rumble is ominous.

For a split second there is a look of surprise, or maybe just simple acknowledgement. Nobody screams, but the second it's over they do talk about it for a second.

"3.8?" Cybill asks.

"No, I think it was more like 3.7" her friend replies. They continue sipping their coffee.

Now that's how most people in LA react to earthquakes.

(BTW, this was filmed right after the Northridge quake when there were a lot of aftershocks. I think that may be why Hollywood was finally, for once, able to show how most people really react to them.)
It's funny you write that, I would say that is how Hollywood triesto portray things and it isn't anything like that at all. People seem to freeze, stare at each other and gage the intensity to see if it passes or if they should get up and leave or get under something sturdy. If it was strong enogh to make everyone take note and rumble the building, people will be on their phones afterwards tweeting, sending texts, making calls and flooding the cell tower capacity for several hours afterwards. THAT wouldbe a typical "5" in Cali. And the quake described would have to be more like 5 based on the rattling, ominous rumbling, people even being aware of it...not an uper "3". A quake in the 3 range would only be felt like that if you were literally ON the epicenter and it would be over after one jolt and most people would probably have to say, was that an earthquake...

Now, I will give you that people guesstimate how strong the quake was afterwards, but people are not nearly so nonchalant or blasé like in the TV show you mentioned...that is more of an image of cool and saviness I think the industry tries to play up, like nothing can phase us, this is California and this happens everyday. Uh, yeah right.

Chances are, if someone really DID act that way, they would be in the minority and out of touch with how most people reacted.

Just my two cents and personal observations...

EDIT: I just watched that clip on Youtube you were talking about...you are right...but it wasn't as ominous as you said...but based on just the table moving slightly, yes, that is like a 3.8 but I don't think people pick up their cups of wine when tremors hit LOL. Oh, and yes, the movement did look about as "strong" as it would in a 3.8 as well. I was under the impression beforelooking at the video that is was much stronger based on your description. An event like what you saw is basically a non event and people wouldn't even notice or wory about it so you're right!

Last edited by Chelito23; 08-07-2011 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,683,457 times
Depends on the alternative

Old 08-07-2011, 11:59 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If it hits.
No "IF" but "WHEN". I was born and raised here in Los Angeles and we all know that earthquakes WILL happen. Not saying we'll be around for when San Andreas hits, but we can pretty much expect some 6.0s or more.

The mass exodus of people after the Northridge earthquake was actually kinda funny. Soooooooo many people up and left because they were so scared. Im sure it'll be the same thing when another one hits. All these people who move here to work in the "industry" or always want to live in the worst earthquake areas (Sherman Oaks, Studio City where liquid faction is the worst in the valley) they will be the first to tuck tail and run after a quake.

As I have said before, preparation is key. Its tough though if you live in an apartment or condo because you just never know. At least in my house, if the structure is red tagged I can still set up my tent, generator, etc. and still live here with my supply of water and MREs.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:49 PM

24,507 posts, read 33,289,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
No "IF" but "WHEN". I was born and raised here in Los Angeles and we all know that earthquakes WILL happen. Not saying we'll be around for when San Andreas hits, but we can pretty much expect some 6.0s or more.

The mass exodus of people after the Northridge earthquake was actually kinda funny. Soooooooo many people up and left because they were so scared. Im sure it'll be the same thing when another one hits. All these people who move here to work in the "industry" or always want to live in the worst earthquake areas (Sherman Oaks, Studio City where liquid faction is the worst in the valley) they will be the first to tuck tail and run after a quake.

As I have said before, preparation is key. Its tough though if you live in an apartment or condo because you just never know. At least in my house, if the structure is red tagged I can still set up my tent, generator, etc. and still live here with my supply of water and MREs.
Yeah, that's true. A good idea not to live where the soil underneath is subject to liquefaction (Sherman Oaks, Studio City, part of Santa Monica and points south).

Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,065,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
If it was strong enogh to make everyone take note and rumble the building, people will be on their phones afterwards tweeting, sending texts, making calls and flooding the cell tower capacity for several hours afterwards. THAT wouldbe a typical "5" in Cali.
LOL, you're right, cell phones and texting--that would definitely be the first thing everyone would think of these days. I lived in Los Angeles in the 60s-90s, before texting, tweeting, etc. so my earthquake reaction memories are missing details like that. The people I knew really were that blase, however--especially after a major quake, when there would be so many aftershocks you really got used to them (and good at gauging the precise intensity).

Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,385,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
I love everything about CA, however, it is prone to disaster one day, and who knows when that will be... I don't live there, but I wonder, how people live day to day not knowing what will happen within the years to come. Buying an expensive house, and it just being demolished, that would be horrible.. At least in Miami they can predict hurricanes and the buildings are set up to where they cannot be destroyed, also I feel Earthquakes are WORSE than hurricanes. Earth quakes on the other hand I dont think they can predicted? And even if so, what are people going to do when a big one strikes and destroys everything? What are the odds something is bound to happen in the near future? I already decided that's where I want to be , but I am worried, that the day will soon come where everything comes in the size of a Japan earth quake....Serious question, how do you prepare for this type of catastrophe? Are people not worried something like that is bound to happen or can happen one day?
How do people live in Memphis or St. Louis, not knowing when the next really, really, really powerful, Mississippi River course altering unbelievably massive earthquake will be? How do people anywhere in the Eastern 1/3 of the US live where they do, not knowing when the next caldera explosion will occur in Yellowstone? Etc, etc, etc.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:01 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,275,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
I love everything about CA, however, it is prone to disaster one day, and who knows when that will be... I don't live there, but I wonder, how people live day to day not knowing what will happen within the years to come. Buying an expensive house, and it just being demolished, that would be horrible.. At least in Miami they can predict hurricanes and the buildings are set up to where they cannot be destroyed, also I feel Earthquakes are WORSE than hurricanes. Earth quakes on the other hand I dont think they can predicted? And even if so, what are people going to do when a big one strikes and destroys everything? What are the odds something is bound to happen in the near future? I already decided that's where I want to be , but I am worried, that the day will soon come where everything comes in the size of a Japan earth quake....Serious question, how do you prepare for this type of catastrophe? Are people not worried something like that is bound to happen or can happen one day?
They've been predicting the big one for years but it still hasn't happened. it's really just media BS like carmageddon. also, all the stupid hicks from out of state think California is going to fall into the ocean but our state has been here as long as any other state. Do we have earthquakes? Yes, we do and that's why we have building codes to protect us from a disaster like Haiti. I'm not really worried about it. Other states have horrific weather where people die regularly.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,385,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
also, all the stupid hicks from out of state think California is going to fall into the ocean but our state has been here as long as any other state. Do we have earthquakes? Yes, we do and that's why we have building codes to protect us from a disaster like Haiti. I'm not really worried about it. Other states have horrific weather where people die regularly.
This is a key point. In fact, if one were to hike up to the top of a certain small peak near South Mountain in Ventura County, one would find shells, not fossils, but actual non fossilized shells, of clams and other bivalves, on the summit. These relict shells have been dated to less than 1 Million Years BP.

The moral of this story is, earthquakes are not moving things in the direction of land being submerged. It is actually the opposite situation. Earthquakes are slowly building the land area of California and causing emergence. Now to be fair, plate tectonics will eventually cause the areas of California west of the plate boundary to become an island on par with Vancouver Island (itself a result of similar processes). Incidentally, Vancouver Island is also slowly growing in size.

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 08-09-2011 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,403 times
I'm not too worried about it. I'm also not originally from here so if one hits and it's really really bad, I'll just pack bags and move back home lol. Nothings really holding me down here in LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles