Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 06:13 PM

40 posts, read 144,932 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Thinking of moving from WeHo to Silverlake. I found a house near Allessandro Way and Oak Glen (opposite from Allessandro Street which is on the other side of the Glendale freeway).

The house is 6 miles from work and pretty secluded surrounded by mountains. Seems like the freeway noise is not too bad either.

My question is - is it a safe neighborhood? I live in WeHo right now and I find it extremely safe (for comparison purposes). It would be me (30 year old), my fiancé (27) and 2 small dogs living there.

Also, if this is not a good area, which areas in Silverlake should I be looking for?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,501 times
I don't know too much about that part of Silverlake (which i always thought was part of Elysian Park/Echo Park) but i have friends who live on the other side of the lake up in the hills like Fernwood, Silverado streets and they feel safe & secure. As you get closer to Hyperion & Sunset it gets more urban and you get a lot more foot traffic & associated petty crimes.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:33 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I don't know too much about that part of Silverlake (which i always thought was part of Elysian Park/Echo Park) but i have friends who live on the other side of the lake up in the hills like Fernwood, Silverado streets and they feel safe & secure. As you get closer to Hyperion & Sunset it gets more urban and you get a lot more foot traffic & associated petty crimes.
Allesandro and Oak Glen is Echo Park. THAT particular part of Echo Park in the hills is generally safe AFAIK - Echo Park varies A LOT from good to bad to in between depending upon the street and the block. I've never heard anything bad about that part of EP though. Some areas of the EP hills (Elysian Heights) have problematic corners (EP and Baxter for example is up in the hills and remote but is a troubled corner which has had shootings including some not long ago). That corner doesn't as far as I know.

Silver Lake, unlike EP, has low violent crime, property crime especially auto break ins are a genuine issue but that is true in virtually every neighborhood in the city of L.A. and many not within L.A. city limits.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 PM

majoun, according to the map it's actually Silver Lake:

I circled the area with the house in blue, and notice the shaded area within the thin red lines that show the borders of Silver Lake...

Old 08-08-2011, 11:30 PM

76 posts, read 236,517 times
Wow, you weren't kidding with the freeway being nearby.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:04 PM

so....... any more thoughts on this area? I'm seriously considering moving here, but I need more feedback from you guys... please!!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudent View Post
so....... any more thoughts on this area? I'm seriously considering moving here, but I need more feedback from you guys... please!!
Never heard anything bad about that area. Other than car-break ins but that is a reality in even the most expensive neighborhoods in L.A.

The bad spots in that area one usually hears about because they tend to pop up again and again on LAPD crime maps, in the LA Times' Homicide Report, in the local blogs, etc. Violent crimes in that area tend to happen in the exact same places all the time and it is not that common for them to happen elsewhere (although it does happen on occasion).

I'd move there, personally.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:58 PM

89 posts, read 214,987 times
I grew up on the portion of Oak Glen on the Echo Park side of the freeway, and my parents still live there. It's pretty safe; we had a couple of break-ins when I was a kid, but that could happen anywhere. I've gone on night walks by myself with no issues. People tend to be pretty friendly and keep an eye out for each other. If you don't mind steep hills, you should be fine.

If you look at a map, the area's split between Echo Park and Silverlake, but it has a character of its own. Once upon a time, it was a burg called Edendale. What's now Glendale Blvd. used to be home to several movie studios. There are many staircases in the area, and I think residents along each one claim that it's the one that Laurel and Hardy tried to move a piano on. Many of the houses near Allesandro started off as vacation homes (once upon a time, heading a few miles north of Downtown was a vacation!), and they've been added on to over the years. It's a great place - if it weren't for my parents living there, I'd move to the area in a heartbeat. I just kinda like having my own life on the other side of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: