Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 AM

19 posts, read 30,714 times

Advertisements

Hey, thought I'd start an introductory thread as I'm moving out to Los Angeles next week from London and I'm going to need as much local advice and knowledge as possible. Seems like here is a good place

Situation: I'm UK born, 30yrs old, and have studied/lived/worked in London for the past 10 years. My company (HQ'd in London) are moving me out to their LA office in West Hollywood next week, where I'll also be staying. Initially for 5 weeks, before I go back to the UK for a bit, but then on a more permanent basis once the visa has cleared through.

I know virtually nothing else about living in LA. My only brief experience was flying into LAX and then driving out to Palm Springs to a conference and back to LAX again (well actually my US friend did the driving - as she was more well versed in driving on the freeways).

So, that's about it. I'm looking for a cool place to hang out online and get local knowledge from actual residents. If anyone has good advice to share regarding getting set up, travelling around, shopping, etc. All advice will be gratefully received!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:13 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
The biggest question is what is your budget? Then, what is your desired commute time?

Apartments are plentiful here in Los Angeles. The biggest factors are cost and commute. LA has a massive and diverse housing market in both amenities and price.

LA is different from the East Coast (of the US) and European cities. LA is more sprawled with a uniform high moderate density rather than becoming more suburban as you exit the core city.

You must have a car in LA, particularly if you are working in West Hollywood. The public transportation in LA is sub par. It is possible to not have a car if you live walking distance to your office in West Hollywood, but you also must live walking distance to all the stores you need.

Your best chances for having a completely or almost completely walkable life are in West Hollywood. You can also check out Franklin Village which is north of Hollywood Boulevard in the Hollywood neighborhood, which is part of the city of Los Angeles. Also look at Beverly Hills. Those two areas are pretty walkable, but you will still need the car to get to work unless there is a direct bus route.

LA is like London in that it is very diverse. A lot of people here mix with each other as well. Even the "young professional" neighborhoods like West Hollywood have some families. West Hollywood is known as being fairly wealthy. There is also a large contingent of the population that works in the entertainment industry. It is a separate city from the city of Los Angeles so city services are a lot better.

I would narrow your price range and desired commute time. I would also recommend taking driving lessons. Chances are you won't be using the freeways often if you stick to areas to live near your office, but once you make friends you will be driving all over. Several Europeans have told me they used to fear driving on the LA Freeways.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Thanks. Good advice.

I will be looking at getting a car. I will also look at getting a few driving lessons to get used to driving there. Budget-wise I'm not sure yet. I still need to work out the finer details of my employment and budget wise I'd be looking not to spend any more than say $1,000 p/m on rent. Is that possible in the West Hollywood area (my office is just off Melrose Ave, quite close to Paramount Studios btw).

I'm not averse to sharing a house/apartment, if it means the possibility of staying somewhere a bit nicer/convenient, though of course it would be preferable to get a 1 or 2 bedroom place without having to do that too. My fiance will likely be joining me if it turns into a long term thing as she's back in London (I would also need to get married so she can join on a spouse visa).

Fortunately, I'm going to be staying in the office/house for he first few weeks while out there. But I'm thinking more longer term. My main priorities being getting to local stores for food and other general amenities and getting to work and back.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM

$1000 is pushing it in the WeHo area without roommates. You can get a studio for that, but it will be older and not recently updated. $1200 will get you a great studio or decent one bedroom in WeHo. You can always go toward Hancock Park, which is slightly cheaper, but also more family oriented. Since you are not single, that might be ok for your standards. Hancock Park is still walkable. As long as you have the car, stores are easily accessible and close by. Walking it depends where you live.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Thanks.

So my understanding is Hancock Park is, roughly-speaking, the few blocks surrounding the Wilshire Country Club area south of Melrose Ave but North of Wilshire Boulevard. That's pretty close to where I'll be working so that would be ideal. I guess I could feasibly stretch to $1200 a month. That could get me something fairly decent in that area you think?

What are the best sites to check through? Craigslist perhaps? Any others I should be aware of? Perhaps free papers or something too?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
the best neighborhoods near paramount studios IMHO are larchmont village and los feliz, both of which are just as expensive as west hollywood.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper101 View Post
Thanks.

So my understanding is Hancock Park is, roughly-speaking, the few blocks surrounding the Wilshire Country Club area south of Melrose Ave but North of Wilshire Boulevard. That's pretty close to where I'll be working so that would be ideal. I guess I could feasibly stretch to $1200 a month. That could get me something fairly decent in that area you think?

What are the best sites to check through? Craigslist perhaps? Any others I should be aware of? Perhaps free papers or something too?
Yea that's Hancock Park. It's pretty safe as well. $1200 will get you a much better place than $1000.

Craigslist is decent. Anything with a picture is generally legitimate. No picture, don't call them.

Rent.com is also a good free website to use. You have to register though.

Padmapper.com combines a lot of rental websites into one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles