Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:43 PM

940 posts, read 2,027,487 times

Advertisements

oh yeah, Santa Monica along Pico isn't too bad. At least check it out if you haven't already. The street has some character what with Rae's, Lares, Daily Pint, etc. There's that park there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 PM

10 posts, read 30,899 times
Pwright1, what are your favorite neighborhoods east of La Cienaga? Just curious to hear more as my partner and I (with rug rats) are also planning a move to LA down from Portland (many reasons for this, despite our love of Oregon). We've explored much of the westside over the years, but only know pockets of the eastside (Silverlake, Los Feliz). From what i can gather, kids are tough to serve in LA, what with the whole crappy schools thing. But putting that aside for now, would love to hear about favorite eastside neighborhoods. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 PM

89 posts, read 215,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_ames View Post
West LA
No-man's land between Westwood and SM, filled with apt buildings.
Good ramen is its saving grace.
Now, let's be fair to the 90025. We also have good Thai food.

Sawtelle actually has an interesting history, which helps explain why there's so much ramen. It's a neighborhood that's attracted Japanese immigrants and their descendants for about 100 years. Some of the businesses on Sawtelle Blvd. go way back - I believe Hashimoto Nursery's been around in one form or another for about 80 years. (Minus that whole "send American citizens of Japanese descent to Manzanar" period...) The Giant Robot store and gallery would be right at home in Brooklyn, but we'll keep them, thankyouverymuch.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:06 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Have you thought of any neighborhoods close to LAX?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
There are plenty of eastside neighborhoods I love. Downtown Los Angeles, Silver Lake, Hollywood, Miracle Mile, Los Feliz, Koreatown, Fairfax/Melrose, Hancock Park just to name a few. There are a few things that draw me to these neighborhoods over the westside. More dense and walkable. No giant freeways slicing thru (except downtown) and the main blvds are not as wide. Architecturally I like the westside but I love the eastside.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:23 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscure reference View Post
Now, let's be fair to the 90025. We also have good Thai food.

Sawtelle actually has an interesting history, which helps explain why there's so much ramen. It's a neighborhood that's attracted Japanese immigrants and their descendants for about 100 years. Some of the businesses on Sawtelle Blvd. go way back - I believe Hashimoto Nursery's been around in one form or another for about 80 years. (Minus that whole "send American citizens of Japanese descent to Manzanar" period...) The Giant Robot store and gallery would be right at home in Brooklyn, but we'll keep them, thankyouverymuch.
Oh wow! Thanks for the history lesson. I often wondered how those japanese businesses got there. And so long ago! My goodness!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Oh wow! Thanks for the history lesson. I often wondered how those japanese businesses got there. And so long ago! My goodness!
One third of Uni's class of 1942 couldn't graduate, wonder why?

Another westside neighborhood I thought of which might be ok for the OP: South Robertson.

FWIW, the neighborhoods you named are not eastside neighborhoods, in fact, all of them except for Fairfax are inarguably in Central LA and Fairfax is often, but not universally, considered westside. Parts of Miracle Mile would also be in the westside. Referring to central LA neighborhoods as eastside is considered offensive by native Angelenos and even racist - mainly because of the connotations that said neighborhoods are the farthest east that non-Latino whites live and the Latino neighborhoods to their east are somehow not worthwhile places. The term "eastside" to describe Los Feliz and Silver Lake originated from racist motives, although given that Echo Park, downtown, and even genuine eastside neighborhoods have more of a non-Latino white population now the term is no longer accurate. Some residents of those areas who use that term now may use it just to sound hard and tough rather than out of bigoted motives, though.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:53 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
oh yeah, Santa Monica along Pico isn't too bad. At least check it out if you haven't already. The street has some character what with Rae's, Lares, Daily Pint, etc. There's that park there, too.
South Robertson also has some character.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
I'd say anywhere west of the 405 and south of the 105 is suitable enough for me.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_ames View Post
Are there "real" neighborhoods on the Westside?
Loaded question coming from a person ignorant of LA. Bear with me please!
And let me just say again I don't have any real data to back up my assumptions
Each and every neighborhood is very real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles