Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:45 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,676 times

Advertisements

Personally it's not my thing; public transportation. I like my privacy. I'd rather be stuck in traffic but having my own space with no one sitting next to me or close to me. I can't help but think that the only people who use public transportation only do so because they need to save money or don't have a car. Is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:56 PM

672 posts, read 2,175,312 times
I did make that kind of money for awhile and I did take the bus in Los Angeles about the same time. I had the money for a car, but, didn't want to part with it. I didn't mind it too much when I worked from 7:30 to 4:30 when the busses are running at a peak schedule. But when I worked from 10 to 7 busses are way more infrequent: I just spent too much time waiting around for the bus, which was the bad part of the whole experience. That's what eventually made me switch back to other modes of transport.

I rode the bus for a few reasons: partly because I think it is important that we all actually interact as humans. People that live in the city should actually get out into the city. I think that people that always drive everywhere can be a little paranoid about crime and interacting with other people they don't know.

But no amount of altruism is worth waiting 30 minutes at La Brea and Wilshire for my bus transfer to the freaking 212. I eventually figured out that riding my bike was faster and accomplished the same thing.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
Orion Magazine | Diane Meyer—“Without a Car” audio slide show

This was a cool exhibit that showed various people that take the bus (or who are car-less) in LA.

I'd still say a majority who don't have a car are poor and have no choice however.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:08 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Tons of my co-workers take the trains or red line. Lots make 6 figures.

I doubt any would use a bus though. Most take the trains because its not any longer than driving and they dont have to deal with traffic.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:20 PM

95 posts, read 275,147 times
When we first moved to LA a few years ago, my husband and I weren't sure if we could afford to buy and maintain a car. We weren't sure what our other expenses would be like, or exactly how much money we'd be bringing in, etc. Being from the East Coast, we hadn't owned a car before and were used to taking public transportation. So a good deal of advice to the contrary, we decided to try living in LA without a car.

We are two professionals with two healthy incomes, and now that we're settled in, we could easily afford a car. But we choose not to own one for a variety of reasons. We live downtown and have easy commutes to our places of work. Most everything we need on a day-to-day basis is within walking distance. So we don't find it to be much of an inconvenience to not have a car. We belong to a carshare program, so we do have access to a vehicle on those rare occasions when we need to use one. But for the most part, we enjoy taking public transportation. It has its downsides, for sure. But we like the opportunities it affords us to meet our neighbors. It gives us a sense of being in the thick of the community, rather than observing it from the outside.

We feel that our not owning a car is beneficial to us, to our community and to the environment. For us, it allows us to save more money than we otherwise would. It gets us walking more, which is great for our health. It eliminates the stress of road rage, and affords us time to read the paper, etc. instead of watch the road. We are at a lesser risk of being injured or killed in an accident. We never have to circle around, looking for a parking spot. And we don't have to be to terribly concerned about the price of gas. So we feel we benefit in a lot of ways. To be sure, sometimes it takes us a bit longer to get where we're going. And there are some unsavory sights and smells now and then. But there are also great little moments between strangers and some really hilarious experiences.

Our choosing to not have a car is also good for our community--we're one less car on the road clogging up traffic for everyone else! And it's obviously better for the environment if there are fewer cars on the road. So for us, the benefits vastly outweigh the costs and we think of it as a win-win situation. We're very happy to be car-less.

But it's true that people like us are the outliers. Most people on public transportation probably are there because of financial reasons. But the more people can rid themselves of the myth that "you CAN'T live in LA without a CAR!", and the more people can see examples of those who are thriving and car-less, the more likely that is to change!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,192 times
I used to work in downtown LA at a large investment management firm. The C.E.O. (who earned something like $1 million/yr) used to take the train everyday....granted it was Metrolink from Orange County to LA. Those trains do tend to serve a fairly well do so segment of the population.

No question the buses and light rail/subway in LA serves far fewer middle class/upper middle class folks than in places like NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco.

I rode the redline the other day into work at rush hour and I did feel somewhat out of place with shirt, tie and slacks. That said, it was pleasant, clean, and everyone was well behaved and polite.

Once we add more rail lines (Expo, Wilshire, etc) and the traffic gets even worse I think you'll see more white collar/professional people on the trains.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,236 times
Never made 6 figures, but it was my choice to take public transportation to work. I made a good income and lived in a decent apt by myself, but lived and worked on the Red Line. It's no secret that traffic in LA is a hideous beast; it actually made my life easier by saving me a lot of time (and agony!) to just take the train to work. It was also a very convenient circumstance that one of my best buds also lived on the Red Line. Once my friend and I hung out after work, and so she offered to drive me home. The ride took something like three times as long as my train ride would have!

I also never, ever, EVER drove downtown because parking there is beyond ridiculous.

But yes, as had been said before, I would imagine I was in the minority in this regard. Most of the other college-educated people I know with good incomes drove everywhere, even downtown which I will never understand. Hell, even the broke as all hell people I know will cut corners in order to be able to afford a car.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:43 PM

401 posts, read 767,631 times
I make six figures and ride my bike to work whenever I can.
I live near a Gold Line station in Pasadena and take the train to Old Town, Little Tokyo, etc quite often.
Most of the time, it's break even in time and money, so mostly I do it to keep a car off the road.

I like riding the train, but I'd never take the bus.

I'm no enviro nut, but I do think we should all do what we can to reduce emissions, waste, etc... that's my motivation, not the money.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:20 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,617 times
If I eventually end up moving to the Beverly Hills area as planned, I'll probably stick with public transit, granted the 720 bus isn't too crowded. I'm already somewhat used to it, and like Lori said, parking is ridiculous downtown. Even with the subsidy through my company, monthly parking is still considerably more than a monthly Metro pass. Throw in the savings in gas money, and it just makes practical sense. Besides, my car will hate me if it encounters yet another huge pothole again.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Who take the train, especially the Red Line? Plenty.
Who take MTA buses? No. I know a few who take the Blue Bus to go places within the westside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles