Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 7,159 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My fiance and I are considering a move to LA. It may or may not happen, but I want to do some research now so I am prepared. I'm the one that wants to move, but I am a little nervous about such a big change. My fiance is born and bred in Brooklyn, and I have lived in Manhattan and Brooklyn for 7 years. I really want to move because I am from the West Coast and I miss the Pacific, and cute houses, and yards, and health food, and laundry, and other things that there are just a little bit more of in LA. However, my fiance would be working in Santa Monica and I am a little worried that that wouldn't be my ideal living situation. My sister lived in Santa Monica and paid $1500 for a tiny somewhat crappy studio (albeit great location), and although the vibe was nice, it wasn't really exactly my usual scene. My preference is to be in growing neighborhoods that have a lot of artists, young people, and a great cultural scene. It seems like somewhere like Silver Lake might be my ideal location but I think it sounds like it is totally insane to live in Silver Lake and work in Santa Monica.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on cool neighborhoods they would recommend living in that are a sane commute to Santa Monica? I've been living in cramped quarters for years and I am dying for some SPACE! We have decided that we need 1,000 sq ft, 2 bedrooms, laundry, outdoor space, and to pay less than $3000/mo. Where would you recommend?

Also, any other input from people that have made the cross-continental move would be much appreciated! Are you glad you did it? Are there things that are better about LA? Or do all the things that drive you nuts about NYC also drive you nuts about LA?

Thanks so much everyone! This forum has already been a great help to me. I've been reading through it all day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 03:11 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,128,684 times
with a $3k budget i'd live in the ocean park neighborhood of santa monica. you could also live in venice with the rest of the NY transplants in LA. The area around Montana Ave is also nice and very walkable. commuting from silver lake wouldn't be an option for me, too far. you'd be looking at an hour plus commute each way.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:51 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,901,118 times
For $2K in Santa Monica 10 blocks off the beach you could get a 2 bedroom. In Venice Beach, which is cheaper, you could be on the beach for that amount in a really nice place. I wouldn't do the Silverlake to Santa Monica commute, it is well over an hour each way, worse in the evening.

I drove from the Midwest to LA. It was a pain, but no other real choice. From NY to LA it's a 45 hour drive and you gain 3 hours. I would stop outside of Chicago in the Joliet area after day 1. Day 2, then North Platte, Nebraska (decent sized town). Day 3, stop in Cedar City, UT. Day 4 either head to LA or stop in Las Vegas for a breather before the last leg.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 7,159 times
Thank you BRinSM and nowincal11! The Santa Monica area is probably our best bet, but I want to explore all options before deciding. I will probably be working from home and not have a car for a while, so I want to make sure that I like my neighborhood!
The move is looking more and more likely, and is actually coming up on us fast. I will be visiting in October to get a better feel for neighborhoods, and I have a few questions to try to get ready.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it would take to commute from Miracle Mile to Santa Monica leaving around 9:30am, and back, leaving around 7pm?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for rental realtors? Is that something that is used at all in LA? I will only be in town for 2.5 days so want to try to use the time the most effectively that I can.

Thank you for your help!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,128,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyOn View Post
Does anyone have an idea of how long it would take to commute from Miracle Mile to Santa Monica leaving around 9:30am, and back, leaving around 7pm?
45 minutes to an hour each way.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:54 PM

20 posts, read 36,627 times
I'm originally a NYer living in Houston for the past 3 years but heading to LA in a few months. My wife is born and raised in Houston so I'm kinda in the same boat but looking into the Long Beach area. I always tell people that one you leave your hometown or your comfort zone you can go anywhere. It may seem tough for the first few months to a year but you just got to be open minded. I hated Houston when I first got here but grew to love it. Now I'm going to my next endeavor in LA and looking forward to this opportunity with open arms.

Hope it all works out for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles