U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2011, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 870 times
Default Help with South Pasadena work commute to Hollywood

Hi all. We are thinking of relocating to the South Pasadena area near Garvanza. Now, I'm having trouble figuring out how long a commute to work in Hollywood near the Pantages theater would be like.

I'm guessing I should avoid the 110 to 101 and take surface streets? Would the 2 be of use? Can anyone help with how long an 8am drive is in the morning through Glendale or Los Feliz Blvd surface streets? Is the 5pm drive home too long? Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 12:26 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,626,776 times
Its a chore of a drive as traffic through downtown is sorta a mess. I think the 2 all the way to Echo Park, then surface streets to the 101. I remember that drive being backed up, but can't remember how badly. The only area of traffic will be from the end of the 2 to the 101. The rest of the drive on the 2 as well as the drive on the 101 north will not have traffic.

An alternate route would be to go north on the 5 a bit to Los Feliz and take Los Feliz over the hill to Sunset.

I'm guessing both drives will be 30-40 minutes at rush hour.

An alternative is to take the Gold Line to Union Station and then the Red Line to Vine/Hollywood(station is right across the street from the Pantages). $3 a day round trip. Not sure how long the trip would take door to door due to waiting for trains, though they run very frequently. Probably worth trying out once.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:23 AM

419 posts, read 481,150 times
A family member use to commute towards this way. There are several ways.

1. Down the Pasadena 110 Freeway then the Hollywood 101 freeway or Or down Fig St then side street over to Broadway near Cornfield and the LA River, thru Chinatown, then jump on the Hollywood 101 freeway from Chinatown or take CChavez into Sunset.

2. Take York Blvd onto Eagle Rock Blvd. to the glendale 2 freeway and onto Sunset Blvd. or Hollywood freeway.

3. Take York Blvd onto Eagle Rock Blvd, get on Fletcher Dr , right on Glendale Blvd towards Rowena reservoir, Left on Hyperion and I think that turns into Fountain. Then go straight into Hollywood.

Los Feliz is really bad because so many people from Glendale and off the 5 fwy use this road.
Getting thru Highland Park and Eagle Rock is very fast. It's just when you get over the LA river when traffic gets really bad.

The good thing is you always have the Gold Line to the Red Line. Cheap and Quick and no bus, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles