U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 PM
45 posts, read 64,314 times
Reputation: 38


Hi, I got a question about a presumably black hole in the DMV regulations. I just arrived to the US (Los Angeles) with a J-1 visa, thus becoming a resident. I have applied for a SSN which will arrive in 3 or 4 weeks. In the meantime, I cannot apply for a CA driver's license; I already tried and they told me that I need the SSN.

So, I wondered if before my SSN arrives, I could drive with my license from my home country. Apparently, since I'm becoming a resident, this is only valid within 10 days of my arrival to the US.

So the conclusion would be: I can't drive until I get my SSN and then my CA Driver's License (probably within more than 1 month), even if I have a valid license from my country.

Any conclusions, information, or similar experiences? I only need to drive a rental car a couple of times right now.. but I kind of need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Location: Retired in Malibu/La Quinta/Flagstaff
1,223 posts, read 1,220,030 times
Reputation: 3889
I've encountered numerous drivers with non-U.S. driver's licenses. I have no idea how long they've been in the country, whether they are tourists/visitors or in the process of becoming a U.S. citizen. And I don't ask. As far as I'm concerned, it's a valid license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 03:45 PM
1 posts, read 1,556 times
Reputation: 10
Default Perfectly valid

Your home country license is perfectly valid as long as it hasn't expired. When your are eligible for your CA license and have established recidency, you must apply within 10 days. Until then, nobody will stop you from driving with your current license.

Remember that you have to take both a driving test and a written test, including road signs and rules of the road. Checkout http://driversprep.com and start practicing today!

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top