Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 01:19 AM

4 posts, read 92,151 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Lancaster/Palmdale area (job transfer). We have small children. What are the safe neighborhoods? What are the places to avoid? Why are the real estate prices so low compared to the rest of California?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 PM

102 posts, read 511,453 times
Default My Opinion!

Be careful of what people say on the internet, always check it out for yourself first, but this is my honest opinion. I have lived in Lancaster/QuartzHill for eighteen years. I still absolutely love it here. Anonymous people on the internet will try to deceive you thinking that it is a horrible place. It was a great place to grow up, and I would love to raise my future kids here as well. As a general rule you could say that the westside is nicer than the east. It is tough to say that across the board, there are some beautiful and very safe neighborhoods in East Lancaster. I have lived in West Lancaster/QuartzHill since my family transferred to Edwards Air Force Base. We live close to the college. Some of the nicest homes are around the college and west and south of there and into West Palmdale. As a general rule, I would say your nicer places to live would be west of 20th West. You can also live further out in the country like Leona Valley or Antelope Acres, which are nice areas close by.

The reason it is cheaper out here, because the way that housing works in CA is this. You pay more money you closer you get to the ocean, and you pay more money the closer you get to you big cities like LA, SF and Sacramento. If you want to be closer to LA you will pay more money, the closer you get. The closer you are to LA, the more congestion there is. You have to think about what you want. To further explain, there are limited places to build close to LA, so when more people move to So Cal, these houses are built further away, and because they are further away, they will always be a little cheaper, if not a lot cheaper. It is a nice affordable community out here, that is why people make the move.

I hope this helps! Feel free to contact me with any other questions. No matter what people say, you will not get a good feel for the community, unless you check it out yourself.

Last edited by iamtall; 09-26-2011 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 PM

7 posts, read 58,392 times
I live about 2 miles from the college. I agree with the previous poster, but would add "South of Ave J" to the "West of 20th st West" rule. I'd also say South of Ave M so you don't have to deal with the BS from the current Mayor of Lancaster.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 92,151 times
Thanks for the info! We're going there next week from NorCal to look for a place to live, then actually moving in November. I also heard there's some sort of farmer's market?

Old 10-19-2011, 10:25 PM

156 posts, read 402,899 times
west side and littlerock if you like rural.stay away from east plmdale and lancaster

Old 10-26-2011, 02:48 PM

102 posts, read 511,453 times
Default Yes there is a Farmer's Market

Every Thursday in downtown Lancaster, there is a Farmer's Market, it has become quite popular. Local farmers sell their goods, and their are other sorts of handicrafts. It is a lot of fun. The downtown is really cool, and it becoming a very attractive place. There are also concerts, festivals, parades and a bunch of other stuff happening downtown.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 45,030 times
Are people serious. you must not get out of town to much or do much research on your own town. I was born and raised on the west side of lancaster Ave K and 20th st. I have been in the military now for 13 years and now live in san diego. I am so glad I am out of Lancaster. Lets put it this way Lancaster has one of if not the most Registered Sex Offenders in the state of California. If you don't believe me check it out for yourself. I am doing a college paper on this exact study and my mom was the one that told me about it since she did daycare for over 23 years she knows all about this. After doing my own research its definitely true. Let me just move right in. The housing is cheap for this reason and others like the violence, gang activity, and drug trafficking in the area. My advice to you is NOT TO MOVE HERE. Your tax money pays for this Registered Sex offender Program that the State has put together. Put your money to use and check out this program and you will see Lancaster is not the place to raise kids.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,882,492 times
I have lived most of my life in the LA area and am very aware that if I want to stop renting and actually own my own property - I have to move to the Antelope Valley or the Inland Empire. And even those areas real estate markets are heating up. I may have to leave the state.

@beach - I understand your concern - and I am not defending sex offendors. I just take issue with those who deny those offendors who have paid their debt to society still being hounded. Is your intent that they have NO place to live and end up reoffending - and go back to prison? Do you realize what that will cost taxpayers. Let's give those who truly want to transform their lives a chance and the oppurtuinity to live in a stable enviroment where they can thrive as productive members of society. Don't fear what they may do to your child - law enforcement will keep a close eye on them - and isn't it YOUR responsibility to protect your child? Do your job. In the end the bad seeds will go back to prison for a long time - and those who truly wish to change will do so, without your bias to get in their way.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 45,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaurs123 View Post
My family and I are moving to the Lancaster/Palmdale area (job transfer). We have small children. What are the safe neighborhoods? What are the places to avoid? Why are the real estate prices so low compared to the rest of California?

Safe areas are on the west side of the city.... Quartz Hill, etc.

Prices are low because of the logistics of getting to LA... the farther the less expensive.

Enjoy your time here.

Dean

Old 11-11-2011, 07:37 AM

4,874 posts, read 10,006,356 times
When you have addresses of possible houses, plug them in here:
* Lancaster K-8 School District school search: Lancaster School District
** Contact the Antelope Valley Union High School District for high school info for Palmdale and Lancaster
* Contact Palmdale USD and/or Westside Union School District for elementary info on Palmdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles