U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 AM

32 posts, read 33,207 times

Advertisements

Hey, guys, I posted a thread similar to this in the main CA forum, but I was hoping that posting it here would get me some more responses.

In your experience, are there a lot of half-Asians (preferably half-Asian women in their 20's ) in the LA area? How does the number/concentration/amount compare with, say, the Bay Area, Sacramento, SD, or anywhere other than Hawaii (which, as I understand it, is Hapa-central)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 19,284 times
I just checked everyone in LA, there's only 2 in the entire county...

Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 PM

9,232 posts, read 12,377,389 times
OP, statistically what you are looking for are needles in haystacks (and your methodology here brings out strong moral reservations in myself).

It's all luck of the draw, even if you moved to a neighborhood that had 0.1% half-White/half-Asian females in their 20's (statistically, that's probably the most you could hope for), 0.1% isn't that far from 0.0%, so there really isn't that much of a difference in where you reside. And that doesn't even take marital status or interest levels into account.

That being said, near colleges might be your best bet (a good place to find young/smart/available women of any background ).

From personal experience:

-I have a friend here in CO (that fits the profile you're looking for, with exception of age), that grew up in Mission Viejo.
-My aunt (same profile, wrong age), grew up in either Garden Grove or Westminster (I'm not sure which one), and lives in Tustin now.
-I had several classmates/friends growing up in Corona and Riverside that also fit said profile.

Basically, people of said background can be found all over the place, and there likely isn't a concentration anywhere, except for perhaps, where there are large populations/concentrations of both White and Asian people. But, it's anybody's guess.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
OP, statistically what you are looking for are needles in haystacks (and your methodology here brings out strong moral reservations in myself).

It's all luck of the draw, even if you moved to a neighborhood that had 0.1% half-White/half-Asian females in their 20's (statistically, that's probably the most you could hope for), 0.1% isn't that far from 0.0%, so there really isn't that much of a difference in where you reside. And that doesn't even take marital status or interest levels into account.

That being said, near colleges might be your best bet (a good place to find young/smart/available women of any background ).

From personal experience:

-I have a friend here in CO (that fits the profile you're looking for, with exception of age), that grew up in Mission Viejo.
-My aunt (same profile, wrong age), grew up in either Garden Grove or Westminster (I'm not sure which one), and lives in Tustin now.
-I had several classmates/friends growing up in Corona and Riverside that also fit said profile.

Basically, people of said background can be found all over the place, and there likely isn't a concentration anywhere, except for perhaps, where there are large populations/concentrations of both White and Asian people. But, it's anybody's guess.
But it's not unfair to say that there are more mixed-race Asians in, say, San Francisco, than there are in, say, Miami, is it?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 PM

9,232 posts, read 12,377,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirderpalot View Post
But it's not unfair to say that there are more mixed-race Asians in, say, San Francisco, than there are in, say, Miami, is it?
No, I was referencing at more of a neighborhood level.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
No, I was referencing at more of a neighborhood level.
Right, there may be more in one LA neighborhood than another.

But there must be more half-Asians in the LA area or the Bay Area than there are in the Miami area or the Atlanta area, right?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 PM

2,788 posts, read 2,877,522 times
I'm half asian half white and there aren't too many of us in LA county. A decent number, but definitely a rare breed, and a lot of us are automatically assumed to be other races (whether fullblood asian or white, or middle eastern, latino). If you want to meet young half asian chicks your best bet is to hang around UCLA, which has a respectable sized half asian population.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I'm half asian half white and there aren't too many of us in LA county. A decent number, but definitely a rare breed, and a lot of us are automatically assumed to be other races (whether fullblood asian or white, or middle eastern, latino). If you want to meet young half asian chicks your best bet is to hang around UCLA, which has a respectable sized half asian population.
What about So Cal as a whole (including OC and SD)? How would you say the number of half-Asians in So Cal compares to the number in Nor Cal? When you say "rare breed", would you say that half-Asians are "rarer" in LA County than in San Francisco?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:05 PM

447 posts, read 878,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Well what do you know. Small world. Another forum regular is a halfy like myself.

Yep, being half southeast Asian and white kind of puts you in an entirely different category all its own. Asians don't fully identify with you and White people don't either. People have called me every race in the book other than what I am. I've been called "Brazilian," but more often than not, it's "I'm not sure, just exotic." Not sure if that's a compliment.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 PM

12,009 posts, read 13,510,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
Well what do you know. Small world. Another forum regular is a halfy like myself.

Yep, being half southeast Asian and white kind of puts you in an entirely different category all its own. Asians don't fully identify with you and White people don't either. People have called me every race in the book other than what I am. I've been called "Brazilian," but more often than not, it's "I'm not sure, just exotic." Not sure if that's a compliment.
At the risk of sounding racist: half-white/half-Asian people whose mother is white have a tendency to look more "white". However, the offspring of Asian male/white female couples are not as common as the offspring of white male/Asian female couples. Also, half-white/half-pinoy people look more white.

Most half-white/half-Asian types are commonly assumed to be Latino/a.

Half-white/half-Latino people of whatever background identify as Latino/a.

Half-black/half-Asian people usually identify as black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles