Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 PM

5 posts, read 9,868 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to LA for my husband's fellowship. This includes myself, husband and 2 year old (when we move) daughter. Our income will be such that we will be able to afford 2000-2500$ monthly for rent. We will be visiting the area in the spring to find housing. We are aware of some of the difficulties that LA presents, ie, parking, traffic, $$$$. My main concern is safety and finding a place where I feel comfortable strolling my daughter around. We're not strangers to city life, we've lived in New york, baltimore, boston. We're in our early 30's and would like to be close to coffee, restaurants, boutiques, etc. I apologize if this post is redundant..I haven't scrolled through all the previous ones. Any input is appreciated Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 AM

225 posts, read 1,090,521 times
Where will you and / or your husband be working? (forgive me--does a fellowship involve work?) That will help people advise you better.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:27 AM

Default moving to la

Yes, I realized after I posted it would probably be helpful to know he will be working at UCLA medical center. He's a physician, a fellowship is an extension of his training-sorry I didn't clarify

Old 08-22-2007, 06:08 AM

Also, as I'm thinking of it...what would be the areas I should stay away from? Some of the listings on craigslist mention they are "on the westside" and in a nice area, yet the pictures show a home with bars on the windows. I'm not sure what that means in LA but where I come from (boston) that's not a good thing...

Old 08-22-2007, 08:34 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times
You should stay close to UCLA. Westwood or Brentwood would probably be your best options, but it really depends on your budget and how much you can afford in rent.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 PM

Default moving to la

We sort of figured brentwood or westwood just based on other threads and the close proximity to UCLA. LA really seems to be portrayed as an extremely dangerous city, this does concern me a great deal. However, we are moving from Baltimore City and have had to deal with ALOT of crime here. Some of the neighborhoods here are down right frightening. So that being said, should I be worried about walking around the streets of Brentwood? I'm not being sarcastic either-I have never been there and I'm genuinely wondering

Old 08-22-2007, 04:23 PM

I would look at Westwood, Brentwood, Santa Monica and Culver City, particularly the last two. I'm not crazy about Westwood, which strikes me as ersatz, but plenty of people like it and of course it always pays to be close to work. You may, for example, be able to get away with 1 car if you live there. Brentwood is OK--ritzy and alienating in the hills, more urban in the flats (though still not very urban compared with the cities you mention). Culver City and Santa Monica are more child-friendly. The "boutiquey" bits of Santa Monica are 3rd St, Main St. and Montana. If you are looking for a house with a garden you will struggle on $2500 in any of these areas but you should be able to find a nice apartment. (If you really, really want a house think about Pasadena and the San Fernando Valley, both of which are cheaper and child-friendly although you will pay for it with the commute to Westwood.) All of these areas are safe. Compared to Baltimore they are extremely safe--in fact, south-central LA is safe compared to Baltimore. Bars over windows are not a good sign, of course, though they can be slightly misleading in the case of Venice.

Sign up for westsiderentals.com and buy a copy of Los Angeles Not for Tourists which will show you where the concentrations of restaurants are. Good luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 04:53 PM

straight outta camden,
Thanks so much for the input! We are going to take a week and fly out there and spend some time in the suggested neighborhoods. We are looking to rent an apartment so the need for space isn't going to be a huge issue. I'm hoping there are some parks and playgrounds I can get to pretty easily. It's only for a few years so we can deal with it:-)

Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 AM

You're welcome.

As well as Los Angeles NFT you may want to get hold of a copy of City Baby L.A. A pretty useful guide to living in the city with children. It has lists of good parks and beaches etc. You should also look into Peachhead Families--another forum.

In general Los Angeles is a good city in which to live with a toddler. It is usually sunny. You drive everywhere anyway. You may well have a yard. There is a zoo and an aquarium. The preschools are good (though notoriously overbooked in places like Westwood and Santa Monica). And, thanks in part to the large Chicano population, the city has a child-friendly air. Overall it is certainly better than New York. I used to eat my lunch in Washington Square Park and it was depressing to see the children, who had learned to be oblivious of everything around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles