U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 AM

5,548 posts, read 5,313,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Glendora USD is excellent. Charter Oak USD (serves San Dimas, Covina, and "South Glendora") is just slightly lower ranking, but still very good by LA County standards.
Avoid Charter Oak USD; the elementary schools are all right but their middle school and high school is not where you want to send your kids if you can avoid it.

San Dimas is a nice place to live; read this thread (beyond the part about a single person being bored there....it's probably not a fun place for a single young adult): San Dimas is sooooo boring
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 11:32 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,269,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Avoid Charter Oak USD; the elementary schools are all right but their middle school and high school is not where you want to send your kids if you can avoid it.

San Dimas is a nice place to live; read this thread (beyond the part about a single person being bored there....it's probably not a fun place for a single young adult): San Dimas is sooooo boring
If you can avoid it--yeah, there are better schools in the area, but it's not the end of the world if you are stuck with Charter Oak schools. There are much worse schools in the county.

I think the whole strip of Foothill cities are great (maybe except for west Azusa) for families and people who like clean small towns. It's not boring if you actually go out and do stuff--there's plenty to do.

There are at least half dozen colleges in the area if you like to hang out with the college crowd.

The Gold Line is coming, too. It's just getting better and better.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:20 PM

24 posts, read 34,800 times
Wow, thank you all for the information!! I really appreciate all the help, suggestions and feedback. It gives me some places to begin searching We would love the small town feel. We both like to golf and we don't go out much at night so boring is ok with us. My main concern is the kids and a good school system and it sounds like there are some options in this area. This makes me happy. Thank you again for taking the time to post.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:38 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,463,329 times
I have relatives in the Upland-Ontario area and I've driven through SD many times. The San Gabriel Valley area and eastward does get rather hot in the summer, cool, even cold, but almost never any snow in the winter, and can get smoggy, with pollution generated there or blown from the L.A. Basin. It is, of course, part of a huge urban area. On the other hand, you're close to Angeles National Forest and the beach is feasible as a long day trip. In some places you may be close to Metrolink commuter trains. Ontario Airport easier to use than is LAX, though with far fewer non-stops from across the country (e.g., from Charlotte you can fly non-stop to LAX but would likely have to change planes to get to ONT). Don't know about the schools. A realtor or property manager should be able to give you info. I assume you will make an exploratory visit to the area before deciding to relocate. Always a good idea.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 PM

24 posts, read 34,800 times
CA4Now...Thanks for the thread suggestion. It doesn't sound like San Dimas is boring at all. From what I have a read it sounds like a great area to raise a family with lots of things to do outside. Which is what we enjoy. And as long as we have an internet connection the kids will be happy! Samoi137...Not sure that I will get to see the area before my husband accepts. But I trust his judgement and I am sure he is making the right decision for our family. I will go out to help choose where we will lease a home though. That is why the information everyone has provided is so appreciated. I know where to search and can have some places picked out in those areas for when I go. Thanks again!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:02 PM

116 posts, read 294,649 times
North of the 210 fwy is nicer as a general rule

Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 PM

9,233 posts, read 12,377,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
The San Gabriel Valley area and eastward does get rather hot in the summer, cool, even cold, but almost never any snow in the winter,
Instead of "almost never", it is actually "never".

Old 10-07-2011, 08:14 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,463,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I was thinking a few flakes now and then in areas up against the mountains, but while that may be true in the Upland area, maybe not in SD. I remember getting a small bit of snow every few years in the San Fernando Valley when I was growing up, and we were further from the mountains than are Upland or San Dimas. Is it still technically San Dimas when you get to the border of Angeles Natl. Forest?

Here's the Web site for Metrolink commuter trains (could be useful when going to L.A.): www.metrolinktrains.com/ The trains are rather nice. Too bad the only airport the trains actually go next to is Burbank. Here's one of the trains in SD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anHtkJhFsn8

Last edited by Samoi137; 10-07-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 09:37 AM

9,233 posts, read 12,377,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
I was thinking a few flakes now and then in areas up against the mountains, but while that may be true in the Upland area, maybe not in SD. I remember getting a small bit of snow every few years in the San Fernando Valley when I was growing up, and we were further from the mountains than are Upland or San Dimas. Is it still technically San Dimas when you get to the border of Angeles Natl. Forest?
San Dimas' city limits do go up the mountains/Angeles NF, but nobody (or barely anybody) lives there.

Snow probably isn't even an every half-century occurrence in San Dimas (the parts people actually live in), and I can't find anything (old articles etc via Google) showing that it has snowed there in recent history. Hail, maybe every few years, but not snow.

This happens a bit east of there (at higher elevations -- 1,000-1,500 feet-ish, and up) every ~ 10-15 years.

So basically what I'm trying to say is, snow is out-of-sight/mind in San Dimas, except for when you can see it on the San Gabriels.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:54 AM

5,167 posts, read 5,398,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Areas with elevations over 1500ft and especially over 2000ft might see occasional snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles