Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:27 PM

14 posts, read 32,068 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me is long beach a safe place? Im moving to california and i dont know where to move in. I want to know if long beach is a safe place? It has easy access to transportation? Can anyone tell me about long beach. I want to know everything needed to know for someone moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 PM

313 posts, read 775,063 times
It's a very large city that has rich, middle and low income areas. Long Beach would be a major American city unto it's own, it just happens to be very close to a bigger one.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,544,790 times
Eh, there are some nice areas and some iffy areas. Generally, the closer to the coast you are the better it is. It's a big city with a real downtown, which is not typical of other cities surrounding Los Angeles.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 AM

237 posts, read 666,443 times
Long Beach has some serious problems. Although the more affluent areas such as Belmont Shore are "safe" (well, they have their problems, too, but not as awful as other parts of Long Beach) have good restaurants, a very walkable village area with the expected boutique businesses, coffee shops, etc. but the lifestyle there can get ridiculous like no place to park if you rent an apartment in the area. Boy you had better get home before too late or parking will equate WALKING. Such are the problems of a desirable area that has pretty high rent. And watch out for the bicyclists who seem to race in front of cars with no observance of the traffic laws. Naples in Long Beach (canals evocative of Venice--LA and Italy) is also an affluent enclave next to Belmont Shore. However, Belmont Shore is the only decent beach in Long Beach. Actually, you may find yourself driving miles into Orange County for better beaches.

The Metro (MTA) Blue Line light-rail serves Downtown Long Beach with service connecting to the Green Line (a way to get to LAX), and downtown Los Angeles connecting to the soon to open Expo Line and both Red and Purple line subway lines. So, depending upon your commute, it may help, or not at all. Long Beach is nowhere near any Metrolink commuter rail service, however.

Personally, Long Beach may be a nice place to visit, but it is NOT on any of my lists in the L.A. metro area to live.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,886,809 times
Long Beach is too big to classify it as "safe" or "not safe" - and these are often subjective opinions, no? I always think it is best to determine where you will work and how much time your are willing to commute when determining a home base. That said - if Long Beach meets your criteria and you can afford a home or apartment - concentrate on south and east areas of the city. North and Central LB are affordable - but if "safety" is a big issue for you - you may not like it. Again this is totally subjective. Choose wisely and good luck.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 AM

Default Long beach safety areas?

I am looking to move into a studio apartment in Long Beach. My price range is around $8000-$1200/month.
Im looking over some specifications first. First of all is my safety. i want to know which areas are the safetiest ones in long beach. im moving here with my girlfriend and our plans are to look for jobs. so we are going to be walking to the areas where we can find transportation. we are very concerned about this i would be thankfull with all the people that help me you are doing a big favor to me. we want to know if there are better places to move in california. if this is a good place where is the best place here. thansk guys.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:40 AM

14 posts, read 21,025 times
I used to live in Long Beach - about 10 years ago and I loved it. I did live in the Belmont Shore area though - down towards naples by the fire station on 2nd street. At that time, the neighborhood felt very safe and was very walkable - lots to do. Have been back many times and still like it.

However, as others have said, Long beach is quite large and just like other large cities, has problems. There are areas of Northern Long Beach that I didn't even like driving through. I would move back to my old area of LB no problem. It is pretty expensive though.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:24 PM

10,399 posts, read 15,484,811 times
Free Long Beach PT is Long Beach Transit | The Passport PT Fare Long Beach Transit | Fares & Transfers you can check craiglist for housing or apartment rentals.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 PM

276 posts, read 770,347 times
Bluff and Belmont Heights are my favorite spots in Long Beach. I grew up on the North Side of LB, but I dont think you'd be able to handle that area

Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 PM

well then guys what would you recommend me then. im moving with my girlfriend to california. im looking for a rent betwenn 800-1200 more or less. i really dont know much about this state. im from puerto rico. im really confused, is long beach a good or bad choice to make.i want to know which areas i need to avoid and which ones i have to be more interested in. im moving in a month something like that. anything is going to be helpful. i want to learn everything i can about this state. if someone think there are better places to live i want to hear them too. i want a safe place not so expensive, accesible to transportation, not so dificult to find jobs. thanks to all. everything is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles