Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:45 PM

6 posts, read 29,643 times

Advertisements

Per my previous posts, I have been looking for the best place in the LA area for young professionals. Today I visited Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach.

I found that Santa Monica was nice but a bit too touristy and South Beach-ish. Manhattan Beach was nicer and it had a more local, beachy, casual feel to it, while still being close to everything Santa Monica and LA have to offer.

Any information about Manhattan Beach, jobs in the area, and housing would be greatly appreciated. What major corporations and industries are in the area? What are the demographics of Manhattan Beach? Are there a lot of recent college grads there?

Last edited by calibeach; 08-21-2007 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 04:20 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,237,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibeach View Post
Any information about Manhattan Beach, jobs in the area, and housing would be greatly appreciated. What major corporations and industries are in the area? What are the demographics of Manhattan Beach? Are there a lot of recent college grads there?
The links below should answer most of the questions that you have about Manhattan Beach...
http://www.ci.manhattan-beach.ca.us/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhatt...ch,_California

Old 08-22-2007, 05:22 PM

491 posts, read 2,286,092 times
It's a very nice, if dense area. It's basically a bedroom-community suburb, so there's no industry to speak of. Everyone commutes out. It's highly-educated yuppie-ville (that from a Yuppy I guess - actually I'm a DINK and too old to be a real Yuppy anymore, LOL.)

Old 08-22-2007, 05:55 PM

6 posts, read 29,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
It's a very nice, if dense area. It's basically a bedroom-community suburb, so there's no industry to speak of. Everyone commutes out. It's highly-educated yuppie-ville (that from a Yuppy I guess - actually I'm a DINK and too old to be a real Yuppy anymore, LOL.)
Thanks for the info. What is a bedroom-community and what areas do most people who live there commute to for work?

Old 08-22-2007, 05:59 PM

491 posts, read 2,286,092 times
A bedroom community is an urban community that is primarily residential, from which most of the workforce commute out of the community to earn their livelihood.

Where do they commute? All over the place - to the airport, to West L.A., El Segundo, Century City, downtown L.A., etc.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 PM
CLQ

207 posts, read 1,084,579 times
Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach are good places to live for young professionals and the commutes are great if you work in El Segundo where there is Mattel, Boeing, Raytheon, Directv. There are a lot of young, single professionals that like beach living.

Santa Monica is nice too but there are a lot of homeless people there and it smells like urine.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:03 AM

652 posts, read 2,800,265 times
Parts of Manhatten Beach can be an odd mix of newcomer yuppies vs. uneducated hillbilly legacy property owners. Very annoying...

Old 08-23-2007, 08:50 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,015,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibeach View Post
I found that Santa Monica was nice but a bit too touristy and South Beach-ish.
Sounds like you were mostly in downtown SM around 3rd Street. The area north of Wilshire around Montana Avenue is less touristy and has a more locals feel to it. Main Street which is south of Pico is a little less touristy as well.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:57 AM

16,226 posts, read 27,329,943 times
Raleigh Studios is in Manhattan Beach - that's about the biggest employer I can think of at this time that's in MB. But as a previous poster mentioned, there are a lot of big corps around LAX/ElSegundo, and quite a few in Torrance as well.

James is right about the legacy property owners being sprinkled throughout the area, but they are fewer and farther between nowadays after the housing bubble (many took advantage and cashed out their golden eggs).

Old 08-25-2007, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 17,331 times
Angry No wonder i'm miserable

i lived in and was raised in Manhattan Beach and graduated high school in Redondo....a lot of memories there that date back to the 60's and the first time i shook Bobby Kenndys hand and met Jim Morrison on Rosecrans in an old warehouse (memories to ME anyway). Now i own my own home in rancho cucamonga. i just found this site and looked up MANHATTAN BEACH for fun. More than 85% white, more than 67% with a decent higher education, low crime rate, on and on. It's no wonder i'm miserable living on the edge of the HOT desert surrounded by a bunch of illegal aliens and no place to fish. i lived in paradise and just didnt adapt. Save your cards and letters. i will not argue the obvious. i'm out of estrogen and i've got a gun.

Last edited by lily finch; 08-25-2007 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: No Wonder i'm miserable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles