U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-08-2011, 02:30 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,739,840 times

Advertisements

Last night I had a small eye irritation and didn't want to wait till Monday to see my regular doc. So I drove to Huntington Hosp which I knew because it's across the street from the Vons on Calif. Blvd.

It was dark and there were totally confusing signs all over the place. The signs on the street were small and poorly lit. The sign near the front said "Take Congress St." without saying what direction that is. I think I saw one street sign for emergency, heading north on Fair Oaks. I finally found out you have to turn west on Congress St. Again, more signs and lights should be there.

When I got to the ER the ladies said I could wait there for at least an hour or try urgent care, which was one or two blocks north. I looked and saw no Urgent Care sign. I still have no idea where Urgent Care is, or how it is different from an ER. I went back to the ER (where the parking is $6 max). I filled out a form including my insurance.

I registered and sat in a waiting room full of depressed, silent people, except for an insane woman who started shouting "Get me out of this hospital please, I'm not on hold." That was scary. After 45 minutes I was brought into an exam room where I nice doctor looked at my eye and gave me an Rx. I should have just waited to see if my eye got better. Actually it got worse last night so I'm trying the Rx.

I wonder what would have happened if I didn't have insurance - would they have treated me just the same?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 03:21 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,509,464 times
hmmm.. I'm not sure. But i've taken 2 friends to the ER before, one for appendicitis (at UCLA) and another for a rly bad ankle sprain (at St. Joseph Burbank) and both times we waited for nearly 2 hours before being seen. I'm sure if you went to a major trauma center like County USC you would've been there all night regardless of insurance or not.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:24 PM

901 posts, read 1,991,230 times
Without insurance they get you info including SS # and they still treat you the same. You have to pay cash for Rx in the pharmacy and then you will get a bill in the mail. Some don't pay the bill and then at some point collection would come after you. A complicated situation, and it all depends on who you are and if you care about your credit score.
Given average ER wait time in the whole nation is ~ 6 hrs, you've done pretty well, BUT ER visits are expensive and should be used judiciously. On the other hand it is difficult to know on the www how bad your irritation was. Also generally speaking for most eye problems an ophthalmologist would be more desirable than an ER doc.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 AM

325 posts, read 265,855 times
Urgent care is different from an ER. ER is designed for "emergencies", like life threatening stuff or stuff that really shouldn't wait until the next morning.. like a badly broken bone.

Urgent care is MUCH cheaper and is probably where you should have gone for an eye irritation. I've gone to urgent care to get stitches and to have potentially broken bones x-rayed.

I have doctor friends who work in the ER. Folks will come in with an affliction they've been suffering with for weeks. For these folks, they should just wait one more day and go to urgent care or their primary.

More folks should use Urgent care to keep costs low.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:59 AM

5,163 posts, read 10,293,752 times
I took my 23-year-old son to the E.R. after one of our cats bit him on his ear so hard it bled. Cat bites have a lot of bacteria, and an infection can lead to blood poisoning. The E.R. doctor said it was good that we went in then instead of waiting another seven hours to see our regular doctor. It all depends on the situation. In general, I agree with waiting until you can go to Urgent Care if at all possible.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:41 PM

901 posts, read 1,991,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I took my 23-year-old son to the E.R. after one of our cats bit him on his ear so hard it bled. Cat bites have a lot of bacteria, and an infection can lead to blood poisoning. The E.R. doctor said it was good that we went in then instead of waiting another seven hours to see our regular doctor. It all depends on the situation. In general, I agree with waiting until you can go to Urgent Care if at all possible.
This is a very proper use of the ER. The lines get fuzzy at some point. A chest pain is a valid reason, a chest pain that has been there for 3 months is not, BUT if it has gotten much worse in the last hour then it is...

Most insurances have a hot line with a nurse that will help people decide what to do. It is like everything else in life, you can not possibly know all the scenarios and have a plan for each.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:15 PM

600 posts, read 827,474 times
Urgent care is for things that need to be addressed "immediately"and by that I mean in the next few hours. The Emergency room is for life threatening circumstances. If you go to either with a non life threatening issue your wait time may be a wash because in urgent care you are guaranteed a wait regardless and if you go to the ER instead they will see you based on how urgently you need to be seen. So your eye injury would take a backseat to say, a heart attack or someone who's been in a car wreck.
And insurance, no insurance doesn't really matter....they cannot turn you away or treat you any differently.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:43 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,551,203 times
My daughter recently fell into a hibachi (don't ask) a few months ago when she was about 16 or 17 months old. It was a really bad cut, and I called her doctor who told me to go to Urgent Care. When we got to Urgent Care, the receptionist talked to the doctor and they told us to go to the ER because the doctor there would do a better job at stitching it up than the UC doctor, as the cut was on her face just above her eyebrow. (then she told us the ER was in walking distance and that it would be easier to walk there and my husband, who carried our daughter, & I walked for about a mile to the ER in 90 degree weather. But that's another story.)

Anyway, we waited about 20 minutes in the ER waiting room, which was fine. And the doctor DID do a great job stitching her up (5 stitches. Ouch). Everyone was really really nice. All this was in Burbank.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,739,840 times
When I was in the Huntington ER, the lady said Urgent Care is a few blocks north. But it's way over on E Del Mar, unless I'm wrong. If they gave me the wrong info, somebody is dumb.

PCUC - Pasadena Community Urgent Care - Directions

Old 10-09-2011, 04:09 PM

600 posts, read 827,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When I was in the Huntington ER, the lady said Urgent Care is a few blocks north. But it's way over on E Del Mar, unless I'm wrong. If they gave me the wrong info, somebody is dumb.

PCUC - Pasadena Community Urgent Care - Directions
The closest urgent care is a few blocks north on Fair Oaks, in a very small office building setting. If you blink you might miss it but it's definitely there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles