Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:42 PM

18 posts, read 19,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think pollution and high taxes are in the noise (that is, they are negligible) compared to other problems. In fact, air pollution has improved quite a bit since the 1970s. Cars are cleaner burning and many buses are CNG. When was the last time there was a "Smog Alert"?

The real (most commonly cited) reasons LA is undesirable for many folks are housing prices, grammar and high school education quality, traffic, and social problems.

Gangs and graffiti are a problem in the bottom two thirds of neighborhoods. Not good, but not ubiquitous either.
If you breathe the air or work and have 10% of your pay deducted for income taxes when in most states the rate is half of that then taxes are an important issue.Air pollution is a quality of life issue as well as health.It is proven by the American lung Association that air pollution causes many heath problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 05:17 AM

636 posts, read 2,637,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't know, I think that type of thread is usually pretty valid. Given the traffic situation, people really DON'T know how long it might take to get from here to there. I've driven to Pasadena and it's taken me 25 minutes, and it's taken me 65 minutes. Traffic in L.A. and the surrounding area is kind of an island unto itself. Fraught with mystery, wrong turns, thrills and danger! Kinda like a great mystery novel!

But nowhere NEAR as much fun when it's how you have to get to work every day.

So yep, people definitely should have an idea of what kind of traffic they might be facing when making plans.
Yeah, but sometimes when you tell the hardheads they don't believe it. My relatives didn't believe the myths about LA traffic until I drove them from the SFV to Disneyland. LOL!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM

723 posts, read 2,991,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
Yeah, but sometimes when you tell the hardheads they don't believe it. My relatives didn't believe the myths about LA traffic until I drove them from the SFV to Disneyland. LOL!
Yeah, it's the same everywhere. The population is so bad in so many major metropolitan cities! I couldn't believe how bad traffic had become in Denver or Atlanta either!!! I have friends in Texas that were visiting and said that traffic is the same here as it is there, but here's there's more of it! Crazy huh?

Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,317,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Yeah, it's the same everywhere. The population is so bad in so many major metropolitan cities! I couldn't believe how bad traffic had become in Denver or Atlanta either!!! I have friends in Texas that were visiting and said that traffic is the same here as it is there, but here's there's more of it! Crazy huh?
I'd give you more rep but it says I have to spread myself around...or something like that

Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM

Do you like how I approached it from a "Gee-Whiz,-ain't-that-crazy-it's-happening-all-over?" standpoint rather than my usual *ÚÇK-YOU-BUD!-LA-IS-JUST-LIKE-EVERYWHERE-ELSE!!! stark realism?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:18 AM

636 posts, read 2,637,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
I think what they meant is that LA traffic is in every area of LA and rush hour lasts longer. Many cities have a rush hour heading in one diretion, that lasts for one hour. LA's lasts from about 4pm to 7pm.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,198,425 times
Does anyone here know about what I call "the single lane shutdown?" I've never encountered it in Las Vegas, but I've been the victim of it twice in Los Angeles. It's where you're going along at a fairly good clip, and your lane- and only yours- comes to a complete halt! Everyone around you is still going 70. Oh yeah, it's rather cesspool like!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALady View Post
I think what they meant is that LA traffic is in every area of LA and rush hour lasts longer. Many cities have a rush hour heading in one diretion, that lasts for one hour. LA's lasts from about 4pm to 7pm.
That was not my discovery.

The population is growing, and I have found cities LIKE Denver/Colorado Springs and Atlanta to be literally WORSE than LA traffic. Why? Because they are growing exponentially with no support for the amount of people (roads) and a lack of understanding on how heavy traffic works (drivers).

Sorry, but you are living in a dream world if you think traffic isn't as bad in other places.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Does anyone here know about what I call "the single lane shutdown?" I've never encountered it in Las Vegas, but I've been the victim of it twice in Los Angeles. It's where you're going along at a fairly good clip, and your lane- and only yours- comes to a complete halt! Everyone around you is still going 70. Oh yeah, it's rather cesspool like!
That's called Murphy's Law, and I HAVE encountered it everywhere.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:46 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,019,640 times
Murder is defined by Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law as:

": to kill (a human being) unlawfully and under circumstances constituting murder intransitive verb : to commit murder"

Unless the police killing was illegal, there were NO murders in Manhattan Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
It's interesting that as you move through the pages and see where all the flags pop up, the better portion of them are dotted around the 110 freeway. Nothing much west f the 405, despite the dense population around the beach...hmmm. There was only one murder in Manhattan Beach all year, and it appears to have been a vagrant at the hands of the Manhattan Beach PD with the aid of El Segundo PD. The only murder in PV was a body that was likely dumped. Just minutes away in areas like Athens, Inglewood, Harbor Gateway, well, that's a whole different story....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles