Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM

99 posts, read 395,347 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to LA without a car (I know you guys heard the car vs transit battle) Has the transportation improved lately to commute faster bus-wise and rail-wise? Or do people still need cars?

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Metro Board of Directors approved a draft environmental study Thursday for the planned Subway to the Sea project.
The project will be a nine-mile extension, extending the subway from Koreatown, through the Miracle Mile, to Westwood. There will be stops at Fairfax, La Cienega, Century City and the University of California, Los Angeles.
Moderator cut: when posting articles, a snippet and a link is enough

Last edited by Count David; 10-24-2011 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras124685 View Post
Has the transportation improved lately to commute faster bus-wise and rail-wise? Or do people still need cars?
What do you mean by lately?

Probably 95% percent of adults who work full time own a car.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:21 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,893,534 times
It depends on where you live and work. Some people get along great without a car.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,544,210 times
You'll be retired before the Subway to Sea line is operational.

The only thing more impossible than mass transit in California are environmental impact studies.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:43 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
You'll be retired before the Subway to Sea line is operational.

The only thing more impossible than mass transit in California are environmental impact studies.
Way too cynical. Which is something, coming from a somebody like me.

The MTA has made most of its timelines. The first leg of the Expo lines opens before the end of this year; many would have lost betting against that. The first Red Line subway was completed within a reasonable time (however over-budget)

Old 10-25-2011, 12:52 AM

571 posts, read 1,925,167 times
I did it from 2004 to 2008. I commuted many different places but the 2 worst ones were from Glendale to Inglewood, and from Glendale to Santa Monica. It was bad but not THAT bad and I handled it. I never took any rails just buses.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:53 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras124685 View Post
Thinking about moving to LA without a car (I know you guys heard the car vs transit battle) Has the transportation improved lately to commute faster bus-wise and rail-wise? Or do people still need cars?

Moderator cut: when posting articles, a snippet and a link is enough
We lived there for more than three years, and I was dependent on public transportation. My commute to and from work was easy and efficient, not to mention cheap! (I had the option of rail or bus, but usually ended up taking advantage of Rapid bus routes, as it was a straight shot.) Since then the transit options have only gotten better. Whether or not you will need a car depends on where you work and where you choose to live. Like any city, public transportation doesn't work for everyone. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that it worked very well for us, though.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:57 AM

237 posts, read 666,364 times
Where you work will dictate where you live. On the other hand, my aunt was a legal secretary for over 35 years and because she hated driving during the rush-hours, she always took jobs in downtown L.A. There are tons of law firms there. Anyway, work commute was always a breeze during the bus only years and even better when Metrolink commuter trains started operation in 1992. She had made a few moves and her last move what in what is now Rancho Cucamonga. My point is, downtown L.A. offers the best transit option with the easiest work commute. It opens up far more housing possibilities in more parts of southern California than any other location to work.

However, if you are planning on being 100% transit dependent, then you need to live where transit, especially rail, is available or abundant. Such locations include Downtown L.A., Wilshire Center/Koreatown, Hancock Park, Hollywood, Pasadena area near Gold Line. You could also consider cities outside of Los Angeles that offer village like living with some local transit that is near a Metrolink commuter train station.

Investigate at mta dot net and metrolinktrains dot com for more info.

You could get a really cheap car to use on the weekends and transit during the week. That is what another aunt of mine did. The service levels are not as high as during the week.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,641 times
I have lived in LA since 1979. And I can not imagine the life in LA without a car.

[mod]advertising[/mod]

Last edited by Count David; 10-27-2011 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 10-27-2011, 02:31 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,756,934 times
Default Is this thread old?

I feel like an exact copy of this thread exists somewhere...

Here's my experience in the one year I have lived here:

Choose to live where you work. We can't always choose where we work, but we can (for the most part) choose where we live.

Check walkscore for the most walkable neighborhoods (hollywood, wilshire, around fairfax, koreatown and downtown immediately come to mind, but are certainly not the only areas).

Check the metro web site to make sure you are on at least a rapid bus line or near a light rail / subway station.

Another option is cycling, LA has the perfect weather for year round bike commuting, and the bike master plan is being put into effect, so cycling only going to get better in the city. But, I will warn you it is a little dangerous to cycle here and wouldn't do it if I didn't know what I was doing or had urban cycling experience.

Living car free in LA is totally doable, but unlike Boston, NY, Chicago, etc. you have to actually seek out the lifestyle, it doesn't come to you as easily (if that makes any sense at all )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles