U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 01:45 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,067,468 times

Advertisements

I have finally decided to leave the SF Valley and move to Palms (or Culver City) as that's where all the fun freelance jobs are. 2 friends of mine have recommend using Westside rentals but they have really bad reviews so I thought maybe I will drive around and look on craigslist, pad mapper etc instead. I've noticed that looking for apartments in these areas is not as easy as looking in the Valley (i.e Encino). I find a lot of landlords don't answer their phone, hardly anyone is returning messages, craigslist doesn't have as many options and the apartments aren't as nice or the same ad gets reposted 5x day. I did find one really nice apartment on craigslist but the landlord said it's for low income earners only (47k or less) and that apartment was $1300, which I thought was weird as anyone on a lower salary is not going to want to pay that for an apartment when the apartments next door are going for $1100 (esp in this economy). Anyway I want to know how guys went about getting your apartment? Did you use Westside Rentals or another company? How has your experience been?

All I want is a nice 1 bedroom or large studio with hardwood floors. $1350 is the maximum.

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 02:34 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,440,458 times
westside rentals has always worked for me. i don't like dishing out the $70 or whatever it costs these days, but there are lots of options.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:20 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times
I know a couple people who used Westside with success, but also craigslist. Most LL's will indicate and apt is for low income right in the ad to avoid confusion. I don't know why you are having a hard time unless there really is a short supply of nice 1 bedrooms for the price you want to pay. Maybe expand your search area, up your price, or take a roommate? A lot of it has to do with timing too, if a place is advertised and 10 people call within a couple hours you need a bit of luck or bubbly personality on the phone. When answering craigslist adds make sure you stand out in some way. A simple one or two sentences isn't going to get a response...tell them everything they need to know about why you are the best person to rent to. My daughter got her current place/roommate off craigslist and there were 60 responses to the ad so standing out was important.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:01 PM

4,035 posts, read 8,313,250 times
Westside rentals worked great for me too. I think the bad reviews are mostly from people that didn't understand the fee structure or where looking for too specific a place.

Keep searching craigslist, for instance like this just posted:

~*~*~*~*~Beverly Hills Style in West LA~*~*~*~*~ (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/apa/2675470324.html - broken link)

Also, I'd try writting down the addresses of the CL/WR buildings and go drive in the same area, calling numbers of nearby apartment buildings you find.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:11 PM

Thanks guys. I didn't realise it was like applying for a job. My apartment in San Diego and the Valley came so easily. Another thing, my friend just mentioned to me that it's the wrong season because of UCLA students. Apparently the summer is the best time to look.

Thanks again

Old 10-29-2011, 06:18 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,122,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
All I want is a nice 1 bedroom or large studio with hardwood floors. $1350 is the maximum.
That could be your problem. My brother had a $1300 1BR apartment in Culver City that was an absolute dump. Every time I visited him there the word "slumlord" came to mind (he moved 18 months ago.) That area is cheaper but is not immune from the westside rent premium.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
That could be your problem. My brother had a $1300 1BR apartment in Culver City that was an absolute dump. Every time I visited him there the word "slumlord" came to mind (he moved 18 months ago.) That area is cheaper but is not immune from the westside rent premium.
That's not the problem. Palms has a lot of nice apartments in my price range. I'm thinking the season is the problem because of the UCLA students. The summer is when people are more communicative.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:27 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,440,458 times
i've heard palms referred to as the UCLA student ghetto, so you may be onto something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles