Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 3,541 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We live in metro DC and have seen tons of CA refugees out this way. We want to go in the opposite direction and relocate to our offices in the LA area. My spouse's office is in Sherman Oaks and mine is in Century City and we'd like to keep the commutes at no more than an hour. (And no, working 6am-3pm isn't really an option most days.) We're mid 30s/early 40s and want to be in an area where we'll meet quality people (young families, couples, etc.) but schools aren't a priority. We're not clubbers or bar hoppers but do appreciate good food and great markets/shops nearby. We plan on renting initially with a budget of $2500-3000/mo. and would appreciate any neighborhood recommendations you have as this is a huge move for us. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,474,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toBullBoxer31ha View Post
Hello all,

We live in metro DC and have seen tons of CA refugees out this way. We want to go in the opposite direction and relocate to our offices in the LA area. My spouse's office is in Sherman Oaks and mine is in Century City and we'd like to keep the commutes at no more than an hour. (And no, working 6am-3pm isn't really an option most days.) We're mid 30s/early 40s and want to be in an area where we'll meet quality people (young families, couples, etc.) but schools aren't a priority. We're not clubbers or bar hoppers but do appreciate good food and great markets/shops nearby. We plan on renting initially with a budget of $2500-3000/mo. and would appreciate any neighborhood recommendations you have as this is a huge move for us. Thanks!
West Hollywood and Fairfax District.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,968,648 times
West Hollywood, Miracle Mile, Fairfax District, Sherman Oaks, Carthay Circle, Santa Monica, West LA.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,009,421 times
Brentwood (north of Wilshire) would put you in a great middle ground in terms of commute. It's a nice, safe, walkable community. If you're looking for an apartment, then your rent budget is doable.

Curious, I've noticed the same "move to DC" trend too, but isn't this mostly an Obama administration thing? At least, that's why my buddy moved out there in 2009, and most of the people he met and became friends with in his age group (late 20's/early 30's) were there for the same reason, to work on The Hill (or at least attempt to).

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,105,135 times
the DC people i know in LA all live in santa monica in the montana neighborhood. i would recommend anywhere in santa monica personally. brentwood would also be a good option as others have mentioned.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM

304 posts, read 928,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toBullBoxer31ha View Post
Hello all,

Welcome to LA!

My clients who have recently moved here now live in Mar Vista. It is minutes from Santa Monica and the beach with lower prices. As for what you get for 2500-3000, that depends on to what you are accustomed.

Westwood and Brentwood (near UCLA) sometimes have 2 BR apts in that range but the traffic congestion is SO severe on the West side and right there in particular for the next 5 years while they fix the 405, I would lower my rents, too.

Renters are a large portion of the population here. And there isnt much in the way of affordable housing for people. So rents are steep.

Commute time can be a big deal. Do you know where you will be working? There are many interesting places around LA that can offer you a friendly lifestyle. Knowing your center of gravity would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the input! We're currently in a 2000 sq ft townhouse with 1 car garage and small backyard (and 2 big dogs). We live a little over 1 hr from downtown DC and would like to shrink our commutes in LA (one commute to Sherman Oaks, the other commute is to Century City next to the mall). We're willing to downsize but we aren't a fan of older properties.

We're planning to go to LA for a week to look at various neighborhoods and properties so your feedback is very helpful. Are you a real estate agent?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Brentwood (north of Wilshire) would put you in a great middle ground in terms of commute. It's a nice, safe, walkable community. If you're looking for an apartment, then your rent budget is doable.

Curious, I've noticed the same "move to DC" trend too, but isn't this mostly an Obama administration thing? At least, that's why my buddy moved out there in 2009, and most of the people he met and became friends with in his age group (late 20's/early 30's) were there for the same reason, to work on The Hill (or at least attempt to).
It could be an administration thing. We aren't government employees so that doesn't apply to us. We're just sick of the weather out here!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,464,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post

Same thing happened when bush became president, all these knuckleheads came in from texas and screwed everything up. Even after bush left, these peolple stayed and screwed things up even more

Old 11-05-2011, 09:07 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,182,390 times
Where on earth did you live an hour outside of dt DC? I lived in DC for over 25 years and glad I left. I live in West LA just west of the 405 near Santa Monica Blvd. and commute 10 minutes to Century City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles