Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:49 PM

17 posts, read 28,392 times

Advertisements

Good Evening!!!

Conducting an initial research of where to live in the Van Nuys area.

I have read many of your posts and thank you for your information.

I need confirmation.

If things work out right I could call Van Nuys my work home.

I would like to spend no more than $1200.00. I want a one bedroom. I do not need a big place-550-800 sq ft. It's all about how they lay out the apartment.

This is what I gathered:

Sherman Oaks is good---zip codes 91423, 91403, 91495, and 91413.

Zip Code 91601 is good-West-Colfax, East-Clybourn, North-Oxnard and Camellia-South (North Hollywood ?)

Zip Code 91607 is good-West-Coldwater Canyon, East-Colfax, North-Oxnard, 101-South (North Hollywood ?)

Zip Code 91602 is good-West-Colfax, East-Universal Studios, North-Camellia, Ventura Blvd-South

West Hollywood is good as well as Studio City. Zip Codes 91403, 91423, 91604 are South of Ventura Blvd and I hear is a good place to look.

Where is Coldwater Canyon or are they referring to the road? I read that it is another good choice.

Any other tips?

I have lived in DC and a little grit does not bother me. I could not deal with aggressive prostitutes on Sepulveda. I read, as in DC, things can change from block to block. I just want a place where my vehicle is safe-underground garage or gated-something like that.

Can someone tell me what is up with some rentals not having refrigerators. What's up with that.

Can someone suggest any apartment complexes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 AM

129 posts, read 316,649 times
Definitely don't live anywhere on Sepulveda. We lived in a very nice apartment on Sepulveda and Sherman Way, but had to move due to the prostitutes. And they are very aggressive, as you mentioned. Our apartment faced the blvd. and it was soooo awful! The prostitutes used to gather in front of our apartment building at night. We called the police on them almost every night but nothing kept them away. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
Definitely don't live anywhere on Sepulveda. We lived in a very nice apartment on Sepulveda and Sherman Way, but had to move due to the prostitutes. And they are very aggressive, as you mentioned. Our apartment faced the blvd. and it was soooo awful! The prostitutes used to gather in front of our apartment building at night. We called the police on them almost every night but nothing kept them away. We couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Did you consider exposing them by recording videos of them harassing people and posting them on YouTube?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:41 PM

448 posts, read 1,605,424 times
To the OP, it looks like you've done your homework. The zip codes you listed are pretty spot on. With your price range and the size of apartment you're requesting, you should have a number of options available to you.

I'm familiar with the 91601, 91602 and 91607 zip codes the most. I have lived in 91403 and 91604 in the past as well. 91607 is the Valley Village area, so it's mostly residential and not much to do. Again speaking from experience, you'll likely need to drive to get to anything. 91601 consists of the NoHo Arts District, which is fun. They're having an arts festival next Saturday. You should be able to find plenty of apartments within your requirements here. 91602 encompasses a more affluent area, so you will likely have fewer options of less expensive apartments.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:41 AM

17 posts, read 28,392 times
Default Van Nuys/LA

Thanks ALL for your responses so far...Keep them coming...I am still wondering why some apartments do not have refridgerators...What's up with that....

Old 11-06-2011, 03:44 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
Different cities have different quirks with apartments. Fridges are one of the quirks in LA. About 50% of units have them.

I would not suggest living in Van Nuys. Sepulveda is prostitute and drug dealer central. Van Nuys also has some gang issues. I would stay south of Magnolia in Sherman Oaks.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 PM

15 posts, read 31,423 times
Hi everybody,

I hope the OP doesn't mind me coat tailing on his thread, but I'm looking around the Sherman Oaks area for apartments too. My husband and I just moved out last week on very short notice for his new job, so I've got about three weeks to secure a place and get us moved in

Our price range is under $1100. I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on renting an older apartment vs. new - are there often a lot of plumbing/electric/maintenance problems around here?

I read that it's a bad idea to rent on Moorpark Street because of flood and earthquake damage in the 90s. Does anyone know about this? What about renting newer apartments on this street or on streets really closeby, like Ventura Canyon Avenue?

Thanks so much for any advice, everybody Hubby and I are complete babies when it comes to this stuff - first "career" job, first apartment, first new car purchase, aaaaaaaaah.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:53 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
$1100 probably won't get you anything that would be considered 'newer'. i wouldn't be worried about living on moorpark, i work just off moorpark and have never seen any issues besides congestion overflow from venutra. earthquakes are of course a concern, but that goes for anywhere in socal, not just along moorpark in sherman oaks. as for flooding, i've never seen any issues and it has rained more than usual the last year or two.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:56 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,913 times
I live near Ventura Blvd. and Moorpark Blvd. in Sherman Oaks. You can tell that the city hasn't done much on Moorpark because it lies on the fault line. However, the neighborhood is still very nice. I wouldn't worry too much about Earthquakes. You can find places in older buildings for your price range. The easiest way is to walk up and down the street and call the phone numbers where there are vacancies listed.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,250 times
Sherman Way actually has some nice new apartments and Lake Balboa is nice, it's right next door to Van Nuys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles