Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:43 AM

486 posts, read 982,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are you moving from New York, Boston, or Washington DC?
No, I'm relocating from Ohio. I guess I should clarify in my case it will offset the higher cost of living, maybe not everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 07:49 AM

486 posts, read 982,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotFudge View Post
Hi Maaci! Thanks for telling me about your job. Quick question: you're interviewing for a job in California... are you already living there or are you doing the process long distance? If you're doing it long distance, how were you able to land an interview and all that without living in California?
Hi Hotfudge:

No I currently live in Ohio. There are lots of recruiting companies that specialize in my field. They arranged the interviews. I had two telephone interviews and now I am here for my face-to-face interview.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
Ok, my DH is in the WRONG industry! What does your DH do?

When we left LA we were both working 2/3 time in our jobs and juggled our schedules so that we didn't need childcare. It was WONDERFUL!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I had to work on my husband for almost 3 years before he finally caved in and we returned. BTW he immediately got a 150k a year job working 20 hours a week. He forgot how much he loved it here .

Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
Well, THAT is certainly true. DH is a tax accountant and works primarily with actors and producers in LA but works with high net individuals here in Charlotte.

DH had clients on the side in LA and can't really find that here. He actually still has one client in CA but that will be ending as the actor is retiring. But he could get some more if we were to move back.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
It's sort of something you're either born to do or you're not. He works in a certain aspect of T.V. production. He tried to go to school for it and ended up teaching a few classes before he realised college wouldn't teach him anything in his field. I might add this job allows him to work freelance jobs to bring in some extra money . L.A. is full of opportunities and you won't see them in the "statistics" because they don't exist in other cities. I wrote a gargantuan post on this a couple weeks ago.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:50 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
have a look at the "teacher pay nationwide" thread in the education forum. you'll see that texas' teachers are woefully underpaid compared to many other places, including CA. every district here that i know of pays step 1 teachers more than you are making in TX. with your experience, you could easily boost your salary by 8-10K just by making the move. that's not a bad increase for something you don't plan to do long-term.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
have a look at the "teacher pay nationwide" thread in the education forum. you'll see that Texas's teachers are woefully underpaid compared to many other places, including CA. every district here that i know of pays step 1 teachers more than you are making in TX. with your experience, you could easily boost your salary by 8-10K just by making the move. that's not a bad increase for something you don't plan to do long-term.
Not sure about the comparison of state averages for teachers' salaries. I think the LAUSD salaries are significantly higher than the outlying school districts. Perhaps the Texas salaries are compared to LAUSD or big city school districts? I don't know. Salaries in Conejo and Simi are lower than LAUSD (I am pretty sure). Battle pay differences? Lots of economic factors involved. Pay, cost of living, unions, ESL percentages, level of student functionality, commuting issues, teaching conditions.

No arguments here, just food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles