Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 12:53 PM

13 posts, read 21,316 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I would really appreciate your help. We are trying to decide where to live... and we know very little about LA and the surrounding areas, except that what we have seen we like!

We are a married Swedish couple that just turned 40 and we have a 2 year old. We have our own business and work at home. We are looking to rent somewhere that has the following:

Relatively walkable, ie we want to walk to restaurants and some grocery shopping. We want to eat out/take away most everyday so restaurants are very important! We will have a car but we don't want to have to drive everywhere/every day. We also like walking fro exercise, on the beach or woods or hills.

Parks/playgrounds for our son to play in and meet other kids/parents.

Good day care/elementary schools. Pref. public.

Safe and relaxed.

Nice people whom we can meet and make friends with. We are well educated, we like discussions, international, friendly and not snobby, we like to meet interesting people from all walks of live. We are down to earth, non religious, non 'granola', non 'alternative' people, even though we don't have 'normal' jobs and live life as we choose and travel as much as we can afford.

We have looked at Long Beach but get mixed signals. We are open to any area. We like warm weather, but not too hot.

Thats it I think. i hope you have some advice for us! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 01:38 PM

120 posts, read 480,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttolivein View Post
Hello everyone, I would really appreciate your help. We are trying to decide where to live... and we know very little about LA and the surrounding areas, except that what we have seen we like!

We are a married Swedish couple that just turned 40 and we have a 2 year old. We have our own business and work at home. We are looking to rent somewhere that has the following:

Relatively walkable, ie we want to walk to restaurants and some grocery shopping. We want to eat out/take away most everyday so restaurants are very important! We will have a car but we don't want to have to drive everywhere/every day. We also like walking fro exercise, on the beach or woods or hills.

Parks/playgrounds for our son to play in and meet other kids/parents.

Good day care/elementary schools. Pref. public.

Safe and relaxed.

Nice people whom we can meet and make friends with. We are well educated, we like discussions, international, friendly and not snobby, we like to meet interesting people from all walks of live. We are down to earth, non religious, non 'granola', non 'alternative' people, even though we don't have 'normal' jobs and live life as we choose and travel as much as we can afford.

We have looked at Long Beach but get mixed signals. We are open to any area. We like warm weather, but not too hot.

Thats it I think. i hope you have some advice for us! Thank you!

sounds like santa monica that fits all your inputs. maybe mar vista..what mixed signal did you get in LB? i don't see any of your inputs being met by LB?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2006 View Post
sounds like santa monica that fits all your inputs. maybe mar vista..what mixed signal did you get in LB? i don't see any of your inputs being met by LB?
We have read the posts about Long Beach and most say it is walkable, has good elementary schools, restaurants etc and that it is laid bcck and less stressful than LA proper so to speak. Some say it is not a so very good area though. But that is alla I know. Why doesn't it fit our inputs do you think? Please tell!

Old 11-20-2011, 01:48 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttolivein View Post
We have read the posts about Long Beach and most say it is walkable, has good elementary schools, restaurants etc and that it is laid bcck and less stressful than LA proper so to speak. Some say it is not a so very good area though. But that is alla I know. Why doesn't it fit our inputs do you think? Please tell!
Long Beach is a large city. You get different opinions based on which part of the city in question. I think the Belmont Heights/Belmont Shore area would really appeal to you. Excellent schools, very walkable, and plenty of restaurants and other stuff for you to do.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:50 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,480 times
I think great,safe and walkable community is South Pasadena. The public school district is one of the best in county. It is a short drive to Old Town Pasadena and to Downtown LA (or by the Gold Line). It is not near the beach, woods or hills unless you drive to Angeles Crest highway.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 PM

Thank you, I will check out all the areas mentioned!

Old 11-20-2011, 03:05 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Long Beach is a large city. You get different opinions based on which part of the city in question. I think the Belmont Heights/Belmont Shore area would really appeal to you. Excellent schools, very walkable, and plenty of restaurants and other stuff for you to do.
I second Belmont Shore. Anything walking distance to 2nd Street will be perfect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles