Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I thought it was a girl (-_-)
lol

touche
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I don't really know anyone and want to go out to the trendier places. Safety is not a concern since I don't drink and I can take care of myself just fine. No need to patronize me about leaving with strange men or being careful of my drink being tampered.

My main and only concern is being perceive as a social reject or an anomaly.Yes, I care about what people think of me; it matters a great deal. Don't ask me why; I just do. Is it common for an attractive woman to go out by herself in L.A or no? I would think that it would be more common in L.A since lots of people move here from out of state and may not know anyone?

However, I am afraid of being judged by the door man! Other patrons might notice me and think I am unusual. Other women might notice me and think I'm a "loser" for having no friends... ? It is not true that other people are too busy having fun to notice; there are people who are very observant and sober even at clubs and WILL notice that you are out alone and think you are a loser. I am mainly talking about other women because they tend to be the most judgmental and catty.
While it is more common for a guy to hit the bars or clubs alone, I see nothing wrong with you going solo to a nice bar or club.

Obviously, use caution and care. Some people might judge you but overall people are into their own thing and are not likely to notice.

Life is too short to let what others think or say get in your way of having fun.

Of course, use caution and common sense. But as long as you hit the nicer part of town I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:58 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
first you admitted that you care what others think about you.

now you're saying that you want to make a social statement?

dude, if you want to go the club alone, just go. it's fine. do whatever you want - nobody's gonna care.

seriously, don't stress about it. you're making a mountain out of a molehill.
It's both; I want to make a social statement but sometimes lack the courage to follow through. Even though I want to make a statement I am still afraid of being ridiculed, mocked or ostracized. Some of us never get over those bad high school years (yes, it was over 15 years ago and I'm still affected) and always have that fear of not fitting in or being bullied by mean girls. Yes, even at my old age there are mean "mean girls" out there.

Yes; nice place out of town of course. Only W Hollywood or Beverly Hills. Only the most upscale of places.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:08 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times
Jackie, you're awesome I wish more girls would do this. No, don't worry about people looking at you or noticing you're alone. Of course some girls will find it weird if they realize that you came alone cause they could never see themselves doing that. But the guys won't. Plus, you won't necessarily be "alone" very long if you look approachable.

I've never been, but I've heard good things about Sky Bar in Hollywood as an ultra Hollywood scene. Boulevard 3 is a club on Sunset that has a really good crowd too, but it's more of a club not a lounge.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Jackie, you're awesome I wish more girls would do this. No, don't worry about people looking at you or noticing you're alone. Of course some girls will find it weird if they realize that you came alone cause they could never see themselves doing that. But the guys won't. Plus, you won't necessarily be "alone" very long if you look approachable.

I've never been, but I've heard good things about Sky Bar in Hollywood as an ultra Hollywood scene. Boulevard 3 is a club on Sunset that has a really good crowd too, but it's more of a club not a lounge.
I am more interested in upscale places like Sky Bar, Crown Bar or W Hotel rooftop. Very "L.A" glam type places where you can do some celeb sight seeing. Maybe even those famous sushi places like Koi or Nobu etc.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I thought it was a girl (-_-)
I am not a girl. I am a WOMAN. Btw, many people use "dude" as a figure of speech when they are frustrated or to prove a point. Doesn't bother me.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,990 times
If you go on a busy night to one of those places, not even the most judgemental mean girl is likely to notice you showed up solo.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
If you go on a busy night to one of those places, not even the most judgemental mean girl is likely to notice you showed up solo.
They will. When I was younger and I went out to eat with my friend I noticed who was alone. I always notice those things so I know others will too.

When I go clubbing I am not the type to drink, party or let loose. I am very uptight and VERY observant so I notice every detail around me; I always notice who is alone. I just notice those things and as a result I know there will be others like me who are alert, sober and not having fun and noticing these weird things too.

Not everyone at the club is wasted and having fun. There are always anti social people there that feel uncomfortable and aren't drinking and just sitting there and noticing nuances like people who are alone. I know it.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:40 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I am not a girl. I am a WOMAN. Btw, many people use "dude" as a figure of speech when they are frustrated or to prove a point. Doesn't bother me.
gurl please

btw I was joking with pbergen and they got it

Old 11-25-2011, 10:40 PM

Ok, the real reason why I made this thread was a sort of a rant. Yes, I really am interested in going out alone in Weho.

However, the reason of my topic was more as a statement in regards as to how sexist our society is. Our society is very accusatory and judgmental of women for being alone. A lot of people "think" that women are very social creatures and that it is unusual for women to go out alone. I don't fit in that mold because I am NOT the typical women; I'm a loner without any friends.

Plus what makes me more unusual is that I do not want to have a boyfriend or get married ever. I do not like kids. Thus, I have to learn to go out alone until I die because I am not willing to share my life with anyone plus I'm not very sociable in general.

I just feel that men are not judged harshly for eating alone or going out alone. Lots of men go clubbing alone and don't get judged for it. However, there is a strong bias against females who go out alone. We may be thought of as loose, easy, looking for a one night stand, a loser, loner, weirdo etc.

Society is just much rougher on females who choose to be alone and have to go out alone due to lack of friends or whatever. I feel that different standards are applied towards men than women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles