Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Culver City has very few young Jewish professionals, especially females. Venice has a bit more, but not much, although you get a lot of Santa Monica/Brentwood people who go to Venice at night. So between the two, choose Venice.
So not many of the many white New Yorkers who are very numerous in Venice are Jewish? I'd suspect a large number are. But I'd agree with the choice of Venice for someone single and who wants that particular crowd.

Brentwood is overrated, overpriced, and even deader than Culver City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 10:54 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
I grew up in Venice and I don't think you'd fit in with the Venice"crowd".
I'd recommend Santa Monica, Westwood, or Manhattan Beach for that extra whiteness.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Venice probably wouldn't be the place for white singles. If you want to see predominantly white singles, go to Westwood, Culver City, and Santa Monica.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 AM

14 posts, read 44,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I grew up in Venice and I don't think you'd fit in with the Venice"crowd".
I'd recommend Santa Monica, Westwood, or Manhattan Beach for that extra whiteness.
Hmm, I haven't disclosed that much about myself, so I fail to see how you'd know if I'd fit into Venice or not. I think I'm just going to have to sample the night life in each, hopefully this weekend. I did spend some time in Abbott Kinney a while back, both in the shops and the bars (except the Roosterfish...), and enjoyed it.

And I've been hanging out in Manhattan Beach a bit. It's better than Hermosa, less of the ink and d-bol crowd, but I think I'd want something still more cultured and less cliquish.

Ah, I forgot to mention - do either of these have many people in the fashion industry? I don't work in fashion, but I'm really into men's style, and I seem to get along very well with girls in fashion - a disproportionate number of the girls in my past were in fashion careers. Venice has Abbott Kinney, but Culver City has the link to downtown...

Last edited by DismalScientist; 12-02-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 01:23 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,405 times
When someone said they don't think you'd 'fit in' in Venice I think it was based on the fact that most people who move to Venice do not have white jewish women as one of their criteria for picking it.... is my guess anyways?

Old 12-02-2011, 02:01 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,121,497 times
I'm moving to LA in one month, and I am focusing my search to Culver City, Palms, West LA, etc.

For me personally, to get as much out of living in the LA area as possible, I want to focus on being centrally located to all that LA has to offer.

So for me I get to hit two birds with one stone, by finding place thats safe, affordable, and although the immediate area of Culver City/Palms, West LA/Mar Vista may not have the fun stuff outside your door, one can be centrally located between Santa Monica/Venice (10 minutes away) and areas further inland (Miracle Mile, Hollywood, Sunset Strip, Griffith Park) (no more than a half hour).

Being close to 405 and 10 is ideal. The thing is with LA, there is not one spot where its all at, but the attraction is there a million things to do and see, but you have to do some geographic analysis to figure how to most efficient take advantage of all the fun.

The one thing about LA, as everything is spread out and there is trendy nightlife and cultural amenities in so many places, people a little less shallow about where you live I think, even if they are more shallow about appearance, etc.

In Chicago, the social scenee for singles in the 20s and 30s is fully concentrated in downtown and neighborhoods immediately north and northwest. Chicago suburbs are more straight-up middle american suburbs (great places to grow up and raise a family, but not much to offer young single adults) You can dress in hand-me downs from relatives, eat whatever you want, but if you don't live in those neighborhoods, you're pretty much a rube to them. In SoCal, trendy nightlife and cultural offerings are found almost everywhere but in smaller doses.

I can't wait! I'm moving after the holidays. I'm flying out for job interviews and to check out apartments in just over a week!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:50 PM

14 posts, read 44,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I'm moving to LA in one month, and I am focusing my search to Culver City, Palms, West LA, etc.

For me personally, to get as much out of living in the LA area as possible, I want to focus on being centrally located to all that LA has to offer.

So for me I get to hit two birds with one stone, by finding place thats safe, affordable, and although the immediate area of Culver City/Palms, West LA/Mar Vista may not have the fun stuff outside your door, one can be centrally located between Santa Monica/Venice (10 minutes away) and areas further inland (Miracle Mile, Hollywood, Sunset Strip, Griffith Park) (no more than a half hour).

Being close to 405 and 10 is ideal. The thing is with LA, there is not one spot where its all at, but the attraction is there a million things to do and see, but you have to do some geographic analysis to figure how to most efficient take advantage of all the fun.

The one thing about LA, as everything is spread out and there is trendy nightlife and cultural amenities in so many places, people a little less shallow about where you live I think, even if they are more shallow about appearance, etc.

In Chicago, the social scenee for singles in the 20s and 30s is fully concentrated in downtown and neighborhoods immediately north and northwest. Chicago suburbs are more straight-up middle american suburbs (great places to grow up and raise a family, but not much to offer young single adults) You can dress in hand-me downs from relatives, eat whatever you want, but if you don't live in those neighborhoods, you're pretty much a rube to them. In SoCal, trendy nightlife and cultural offerings are found almost everywhere but in smaller doses.

I can't wait! I'm moving after the holidays. I'm flying out for job interviews and to check out apartments in just over a week!
Ha, I thought that sounded familiar, and then I see you're the same author as in the thread on superficiality.

Anyhow, your point about centrality is a good one. The personalities of neighborhoods here vary *quite* a bit. I don't know what Chi City's like, but there's a lot of 'lifestyle segregation' here, so the fit between person and place can vary a lot, even between adjacent neighborhoods. So it helps to get the right neighborhood.

I think I'm more the type to find my niche and stay in it, than to keep flitting around the city never settling in one spot. That, and there are some places I could go once and have zero interest in returning if I had other options, eg Hermosa Beach nightlife.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So not many of the many white New Yorkers who are very numerous in Venice are Jewish? I'd suspect a large number are. But I'd agree with the choice of Venice for someone single and who wants that particular crowd.

Brentwood is overrated, overpriced, and even deader than Culver City.
In my experience, most of the single young professional Jewish females I meet do not live in Venice. They may hang out there, but don't live there.

I agree about Brentwood, but a lot of people like it since it's close to Santa Monica and Venice for nightlife.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
In my experience, most of the single young professional Jewish females I meet do not live in Venice. They may hang out there, but don't live there.
There is a very large white East Coast population living in Venice (not just hanging out there) - some of them have to be Jewish

Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
If the Venice population predominantly from East Coast, what neighborhoods that have the most native or long-term Californians? Which neighborhoods would be good for black male singles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles