U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 AM

9 posts, read 14,078 times
Default Oakwood, Toluca Hills - heard any good or bad reviews?

Hi there,

I'm moving to LA in Jan and trying to find an apartment with good access to Downtown that I can rent for 2 months or so while I find something longer term and get the lay of the land. Has anyone heard of Los Angeles Furnished Apartments | Oakwood? Was it okay or would you recommend somewhere else?
I've read all the trip advisor reviews but since I'm 3000 miles away I could really do with some local insight!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,248,269 times
Never heard of Toluca Hills. Toluca Lake or Woodland Hills, perhaps? Latter would be a much longer commute.

It is (or at least was) a nationwide chain of corporate apartments (furnished apartments) that's been around for many, many years. People working in a city for a limited amount of time can like them (and I'm sure you can find others like them in the L.A. area) because they are fully furnished, even with kitchen appliances, I believe. I lived in one for a month in Washington, DC several years ago when I was relocating from overseas, before I found a regular place. They aren't inexpensive and you can sometimes find hotels with kitchenettes, such as Residence Inn, for about the same price (especially if you ask the manager about a discount.But my experience was just fine. I'm not familiar with the TL Oakwood. Maybe there's one near you that you could look at for a comparison? I'd also do an Internet search on corporate apartments for the parts of L.A. (an awfully big area) you're interested in living in.

Where will you be working? Downtown? How do you plan to get to work? Driving? Combination of bus and subway (check www.metro.net)? Why are you looking at TL? http://www.oakwood.com/corporate-apa...s-Angeles.html shows Oakwood apartments throughout the L.A., including right in downtown. Have you asked your employer for suggestions? Downtown L.A. used to be dead but has an increasing number of shops, restaurants, bars, entertainment venues, etc.

Last edited by Samoi137; 12-05-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 AM

9 posts, read 14,078 times
Great answer - thank you!
Good to hear you've stayed in one in Washington and it was fine.

Toluca Hills was suggested by my company but tbh the reviews aren't great. I spotted a BBC documentary about all the potential child stars hanging out at this particular one and it looked like a nightmare! Screaming attention-seeking kids don't sound like the best neighbors.

I think I'd prefer to find a corporate rental closer to DT but, the closer you get to the centre, the more expensive they seem to be. Any suggestions on the best way to haggle a good discount?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles